BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox deconstruction ?

3 posters

Go down

Fox deconstruction ? Empty Fox deconstruction ?

Post  nickpohlaandp October 18th 2017, 4:05 pm

I'm hoping to get some info/feedback from some guys that have built, participated in building, etc. a Fox body "race car". When you remove the front and rear glass, there is that metal molding around it. I managed to get it off in fairly good condition, and I don't know why I'm thinking about this because I did this probably a month ago, but what's the "norm" with when the glass goes back in? I'm wondering if I should save that original trim (it's not immaculate, but it's usable), is it easy/cheap enough to find replacement stuff, or do guys use something different when they put the glass back in?

I know me, and I could put it up on a board in the rafters of my shop, but I'm sure by the time I get around to reinstalling it I'll have either completely forgotten about where I put it, my youngest stepson will have somehow figured out how to climb 12' up into the rafters, gotten it down, and used it in a sword fight, or Lord knows what else. I'm also not a fan of clutter, so if it's easy to find and cheap enough, I just assume throw away the old stuff and buy new stuff when the time comes.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I thought about switching to lexan in which case I wouldn't use the molding no matter what, but since I plan on driving this on the street and keeping the wipers on it I've decided against lexan. I deal with it on a daily basis, and I have yet to see any lexan that stands up to wiper usage without getting all torn up and ugly.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Fox deconstruction ? Empty Re: Fox deconstruction ?

Post  bruno October 20th 2017, 10:53 pm

update ?

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 21st 2017, 7:58 am

Since mine is strictly a race car, I used a mar-resistant lexan, and your right lexan will not hold up under wiper use. If you need new window trim it's available at https://lmr.com/products/79-93-Mustang-Window-Glass-Trim-Components-Accessories
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 21st 2017, 1:01 pm

bruno wrote:update ?

LOL, update on what? I got the trim off, it’s just not perfect. It’s still on a shelf in my shop. It’s not a life-altering decision that needs to be made immediately. My goal is to get the “tune up” done on my pastors truck so I can finish stripping out the Fox and send it off for soda/sand blast.

I am a little curious about the sound deadened. That stuff SUCKS to remove, and I’m sure my buddy’s shop could get it off during sand blast, I’m just worried if that’s be too harsh on the metal. Should I just go ahead and do it the old fashioned way... heat gun, scraper, swearing, and sweat?

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 21st 2017, 1:02 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:Since mine is strictly a race car, I used a mar-resistant lexan, and your right lexan will not hold up under wiper use. If you need new window trim it's available at https://lmr.com/products/79-93-Mustang-Window-Glass-Trim-Components-Accessories

Thanks. That’s not too terrible.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 21st 2017, 2:35 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:
I am a little curious about the sound deadened. That stuff SUCKS to remove, and I’m sure my buddy’s shop could get it off during sand blast, I’m just worried if that’s be too harsh on the metal. Should I just go ahead and do it the old fashioned way... heat gun, scraper, swearing, and sweat?

Do it when it's stone cold outside  Wink , and it comes off much easier, it will practically pop off in large pieces.  If you put heat to it, it is one sticky mess Evil or Very Mad .
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 21st 2017, 5:45 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

Do it when it's stone cold outside  Wink , and it comes off much easier, it will practically pop off in large pieces.  If you put heat to it, it is one sticky mess Evil or Very Mad .

I’d love to do that, but I’d have to move. Southwest Louisiana doesn’t get cold.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 21st 2017, 7:58 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

I’d love to do that, but I’d have to move. Southwest Louisiana doesn’t get cold.

I've spent some time in that area during my service in the Navy and I'm pretty sure it gets down to the 50's and even the 40's on average sometimes during the winter. That's all you need, it doesn't need to be below freezing.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 21st 2017, 8:49 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

I've spent some time in that area during my service in the Navy and I'm pretty sure it gets down to the 50's and even the 40's on average sometimes during the winter. That's all you need, it doesn't need to be below freezing.

Well I’ll wait about another month. In the meantime, I’ve got a 12 year old trying to earn his PlayStation back. This seems like one heck of a good job for him!

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum