BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towing topic - new trucks vs older trucks ratings opinions looking at new trucks

+13
manofmerc
83-88T-Bird Guy
rmcomprandy
supervel45
BigRigTech
wayney
Bosskk1786
dfree383
Copperhead
jbozzelle
D. Sea
HorsinAround
5pointslow
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Towing topic - new trucks vs older trucks ratings opinions looking at new trucks - Page 2 Empty Re: Towing topic - new trucks vs older trucks ratings opinions looking at new trucks

Post  HorsinAround November 1st 2017, 10:39 am

cool40 wrote: I have a kenworth Toter now so the dually needs a new home. Wink one owner 53,??? Miles 7.3 automatic crew cab 2wd.... santa

This is what I keep thinking about. Did you get it from a dealer or individual?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Towing topic - new trucks vs older trucks ratings opinions looking at new trucks - Page 2 Empty Re: Towing topic - new trucks vs older trucks ratings opinions looking at new trucks

Post  cool40 November 1st 2017, 8:04 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
cool40 wrote: I have a kenworth Toter now so the dually needs a new home. Wink one owner 53,??? Miles 7.3 automatic crew cab 2wd.... santa

toter or dually? I got them both from individuals. Dually still had the dealer in Mississippi tag on front.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround November 1st 2017, 10:00 pm

cool40 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:

toter or dually? I got them both from individuals. Dually still had the dealer in Mississippi tag on front.

Toter. What KW chassis T300 or? how long is the living quarters?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 1st 2017, 10:17 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
cool40 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:

Toter. What KW chassis T300 or? how long is the living quarters?
it's an older t600 converted in around 2000. United express I think it was did it for the guy and he used it half a season and quit racing.its been setting mostly till I got it and give it a going over with some painting and tires etc. I think it's a 14' box because it's a sport deck with the little bed for a goose hitch. It's overkill for pulling most things and shifting the 9 speed isn't my favorite thing but I'll take it over any other tow vehicle I've had. Down side is ,no it's not gona be your DD and big truck parts ain't cheap. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround November 1st 2017, 10:24 pm

cool40 wrote:
it's an older t600 converted in around 2000. United express I think it was did it for the guy and he used it half a season and quit racing.its been setting mostly till I got it and give it a going over with some painting and tires etc. I think it's a 14' box because it's a sport deck with the little bed for a goose hitch. It's overkill for pulling most things and shifting the 9 speed isn't my favorite thing but I'll take it over any other tow vehicle I've had. Down side is ,no it's not gona be your DD and big truck parts ain't cheap. Laughing

Yea I found that with the Intl 4600 l had but I got it a LOT less then a diesel pick up would cost. I also found that some parts were actually cheaper then their pick up counter parts. Always wanted to own a KW lol.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow November 11th 2017, 7:57 am

back on this i see the f150 with v8 max tow offers max tow package

would i be asking for trouble
new f150 v8 towing 24ft enclosed trailer loaded say 8500-9000 lbs ? track is 1 1/2 hr from my house and 100 miles each way all highway

going to track twice a month

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt November 13th 2017, 9:30 am

5pointslow wrote:back on this i see the f150 with v8 max tow offers max tow package

new f150 v8 towing 24ft enclosed trailer loaded say 8500-9000 lbs ? track is 1 1/2 hr from my house and 100 miles each way all highway

With the proper tongue weight, brakes on both axles, and a good sway controller, you'll probably be okay with a 24'.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow November 13th 2017, 1:45 pm

Curt wrote:
5pointslow wrote:back on this i see the f150 with v8 max tow offers max tow package

With the proper tongue weight, brakes on both axles, and a good sway controller, you'll probably be okay with a 24'.  

thanks

im in a good situation of not "needing" a new truck , more want an upgrade ..... im torn i test drove a new f150 with 5.0 thing was very nice , i test drove f250 with 6.2 and to be honest the 5.0 feels a lot better

This is also not towing just driving

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 13th 2017, 9:40 pm

i have a 2012 f150 with the 5.0 I know I get around 17.5mpg back and forth to work on the highway running 75mph I get 20.7mpg if I keep it around 65mph I get just a tad over 21mpg empty but towing I haven't hooked it to my 24' enclosed trailer yet I hope it will at least get 14mpg with the enclosed trailer with my truck in it.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 13th 2017, 11:37 pm

Between the 2 get the F250 with the 6.2 if you really want a good vehicle you don't have to worry about towing with. For more of a daily driver get the F150...

My F150 gets a little squirrely towing a 28' Pace enclosed. Too squirrely for my liking. Going to look into a set of airbags and moving some load around to see if that helps until the truck is paid off next year and I can snag a new 250 or 350...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround November 14th 2017, 11:33 am

5pointslow wrote:
Curt wrote:

thanks

im in a good situation of not "needing" a new truck , more want an upgrade ..... im torn i test drove a new f150 with 5.0 thing was very nice , i test drove f250 with 6.2 and to be honest the 5.0 feels a lot better

Can't find tow capacities for the 18 models yet, but the with the 17's and a 5.0, 10k and change is the max tow rating, so you'll be close to max. Might consider upgrading to LT rated tires for the stiffer side wall, and definitely have a weight dist. hitch with good sway control.

69F100 wrote:i have a 2012 f150 with the 5.0 I know I get around 17.5mpg back and forth to work on the highway running 75mph I get 20.7mpg if I keep it around 65mph I get just a tad over 21mpg empty but towing I haven't hooked it to my 24' enclosed trailer yet I hope it will at least get 14mpg with the enclosed trailer with my truck in it.

I'd be interested in hearing what you get for mpg towing. best I could get with my F150 4x4 3.73 gears was 11-13 depending on interstate or state highway driving speeds.

jbozzelle wrote:Between the 2 get the F250 with the 6.2 if you really want a good vehicle you don't have to worry about towing with.  For more of a daily driver get the F150...

My F150 gets a little squirrely towing a 28' Pace enclosed.  Too squirrely for my liking.  Going to look into a set of airbags and moving some load around to see if that helps until the truck is paid off next year and I can snag a new 250 or 350...

I would skip the air bags on the 150. Makes the rear end bounce more. Been there done that. I would recommend putting that money towards a F250. For now, just make sure you use a weight dist. hitch with good sway control. Also, you might find that the P rated tires have more side wall flex then you'll like.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow November 14th 2017, 3:48 pm

current setup 195k on truck had trans rebuilt last year

Towing topic - new trucks vs older trucks ratings opinions looking at new trucks - Page 2 Truck10
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy November 14th 2017, 9:20 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Between the 2 get the F250 with the 6.2 if you really want a good vehicle you don't have to worry about towing with.  For more of a daily driver get the F150...

My F150 gets a little squirrely towing a 28' Pace enclosed.  Too squirrely for my liking.  Going to look into a set of airbags and moving some load around to see if that helps until the truck is paid off next year and I can snag a new 250 or 350...

Yep, the F150 will definitely squirm around a lot more than a F250.

Before I put the Airlift airbags on the rear of my 2011 F250 it was somewhat squirmy.

Much better now.

I cannot imagine how much rear squat there would be with F-150 and a 7500 pound plus 24 footer out back
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy November 14th 2017, 9:26 pm

5pointslow wrote:
Curt wrote:

thanks

I currently drive both.
My company truck is a 2013 F150 xcab with the 5.0.
Rides super nice and gets 21mpg hywy empty.

My 2011 F250 rides more firm empty but is the best pick for towing the 24 ft. enclosed.

If your trailer weighs more than 8000 lbs then I do not believe you will feel easy towing with a F150. However air bags might help but you would need 10 ply tires
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 14th 2017, 11:35 pm

HorsinAround wrote:

I would skip the air bags on the 150. Makes the rear end bounce more. Been there done that. I would recommend putting that money towards a F250. For now, just make sure you use a weight dist. hitch with good sway control. Also, you might find that the P rated tires have more side wall flex then you'll like.

I have load range E tires all around (with proper tire pressure), bad ass weight distribution hitch and good sway bar. Just not impressed with the way the truck tows the trailer. If I wasn't so damn close to paying it off it'd be traded in on a new F250 or F350 already...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De November 21st 2017, 9:46 pm

That's about 1200 pounds more than my 22ft enclosed that I pull with my 2012 F150 5.0 Heavy Duty. It gets 10 mpg pulling at 65 to 75 mph. It will only use 5th gear on flat ground. It has class E tires with the side walls that dont flex. I have the load bars and twin anti-sway bars. Like you I travel the same distance to the track. I am happy with my package but if it was another 1,000 pounds I would have an F250 even thou the rating is 9,200 pounds.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De November 21st 2017, 10:05 pm

69F100 wrote:i have a 2012 f150 with the 5.0 I know I get around 17.5mpg back and forth to work on the highway running 75mph I get 20.7mpg if I keep it around 65mph I get just a tad over 21mpg empty but towing I haven't hooked it to my 24' enclosed trailer yet I hope it will at least get 14mpg with the enclosed trailer with my truck in it.

I got your same truck package and get the same mileage unloaded. I towed an open trailer with my 3000 pound car and got 15 mpg and now with my 22ft V nose enclosed it gets 10 mpg.
You have no chance to get 14 mpg unless you're running it downhill. You could get 13 to 14 mpg with a diesel.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2