BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinion poll for new project

+7
stanger68
cobrakid8
61coon
BBFTorino
rmk57
rmcomprandy
dr's wife racing
11 posters

Go down

Opinion poll for new project Empty Opinion poll for new project

Post  dr's wife racing December 30th 2017, 12:01 pm

Opinion poll for new project. Y'all all know I am a project guy. I have been considering a hanging directions from drag racing for a while. What I am looking at is a 69 fast back four speed car. It is not a great car. It has too many issues in my opinion ever be a real nice car. I.e. Missing a lot of parts has fairly major body issues.
I have considered purchasing it and turning it into a track day type car. What I have in mind is turning it into a 69/70 style trans am style car.
My other option is to make it out of my 66 fairlane but it is a pretty decent car and is a complete GT A. It would need to be a more of a period type NASCAR road race car.
Power would most likely be small block/straight shift.
Reason for road race type theme is I live less than 2 hours from Barbers Motorsport park. Would like to be able to participate in these.
Any thoughts ??
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Opinion poll for new project Empty Re: Opinion poll for new project

Post  rmcomprandy December 30th 2017, 12:20 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:Opinion  poll for new project. Y'all all know I am a project guy. I have been  considering a hanging directions from drag racing for a while. What I am looking at is a 69 fast back four speed car. It is not a great car. It has too many issues in my opinion ever be a real nice car. I.e. Missing a lot of parts has fairly major body issues.
I have considered purchasing it and turning it into a track day type car. What I have in mind is turning it into a 69/70 style trans am style car.
My other option is to make it out of my 66 fairlane  but it is a pretty decent car and is a complete GT A. It would need to be a more of a period type NASCAR road race car.
Power would most likely be small block/straight shift.
Reason for road race type theme is I live less than 2 hours from Barbers Motorsport park. Would like to be able to participate in these.
Any thoughts ??

I would do a lot of investigation on the road race type chassis parts readily available for either car, then make the decision.

Parts are available for whatever the engine in either one.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 December 30th 2017, 1:12 pm

If I had the choice I'd do the Fairlane into a Nascar type stocker just to be different. There are alot of Trans Am Mustangs out there already. The only problem with the Fairlane is if it's an original GTA car it would be a big decision on whether to cut it up or not.

Here's a car I would absolutely love to have on open track days! https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_noXym7LYAhVplVQKHejZBvgQtwIIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUonisqLOnXo&usg=AOvVaw3viSX4WV2Lr8-7YRubPH8c

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 30th 2017, 3:37 pm

Don't do it to the Fairlane...its too nice to modify!!....Mustangs are a dime-a-dozen compared to Fairlanes!!
And you say the Mustang is already kind of a beater, so I would just go in that direction!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon December 30th 2017, 5:24 pm

I’d build the Fairlane. Everybody and their brother has a mustang.. LOL. Next pick would of course be a Falcon! Razz
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 30th 2017, 6:25 pm

No way I would cut up the Fairlane, although there are lots of mustangs out there it would be a nice easier car as well as something that you don't have to cut up to fit into what you want! Mustang trans am cars look awesome, that's why there were and are so many, but there's is no way I would cut up a real GTA fairlane unless it was already in crappy shape and I was just making it better! Good luck to whichever you choose!

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing December 30th 2017, 9:37 pm

No the fairlane is a decent car in need of restoration. It is a factory 390 car. Mostly in tact I've had it since I was 13 or 14 yeas old. Worst problem it has is it needs a driver side floor pan.
A beater is good choice of words for the 69 fast back. It to has a big block in it.
I don't get out and travel around to different places but I was thinking the mustang would be different as well because there are exactly zero around her of coarse there are no fairlane's.
Advantage to me is that I already own the fairlane.
I don't really think I will have to cut it up. I plan on staying period correct.
Addition of a good cage would be most of it. It is going to be a play car not a all out competition car.
I would probably use a small block. I have a bunch of fairly decent small block stuff. It would be lighter and easier to work with in the car.
How much I spend would depend on if I sell the drag car or not.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 December 31st 2017, 2:00 pm

cobrakid8 wrote:No way I would cut up the Fairlane, although there are lots of mustangs out there it would be a nice easier car as well as something that you don't have to cut up to fit into what you want! Mustang trans am cars look awesome, that's why there were and are so many, but there's is no way I would cut up a real GTA fairlane unless it was already in crappy shape and I was just making it better! Good luck to whichever you choose!

X2 ---plus should you spin out, mustang body parts are cheap to replace.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing December 31st 2017, 2:41 pm

Y'all guys are prob. Right. I have also thought of a kit cobra. Like one of the factory 5 servers cars. Drag car would definitely have to go to do that.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 31st 2017, 5:26 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:Y'all guys are prob. Right. I have also thought of a kit cobra. Like one of the factory 5 servers cars. Drag car would definitely have to go to do that.

I feel your build a cobra kit car I would like to have a ride in it lol! as you can see from my handle it's my dream car! Good luck on whatever you choose!

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing December 31st 2017, 10:09 pm

Me to but it is one that has escaped me to this point. I don't know yet what I'll end up doing.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 1st 2018, 10:07 am

I wouldn't cut up the fairlane it's not that bad

What's the numbers on the mustang? I wouldn't cut up anything with a 428, Boss or rare vin. But if it's a 302 or 351 car I'd have at it.

The factory five stuff is cool and with the right engine would be bad ass, I'm thinking turbo coyote and a 10 speed auto with a paddle shifter.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 1st 2018, 10:57 am

If you want to go beat on it I would get a used Factory Five and save a bunch of cash.

Factory Five has a forum with a used section http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum.php. There is also www.cobracountry.com and www.ffcars.com.

The nice thing about Factory Fives is they revise their cars every few years which depreciates the prices of the previous generation a bit.
You can easily save 25%
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing January 2nd 2018, 12:32 pm

The mustang is a original 6 popper 3 speed car. Some one converted it to a FE and a four speed.
Thanks for the info on factory 5 five cars.
Just looking Tito something to have fun with.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 3rd 2018, 4:41 am

Around here the early Mustang OEM body replacement parts are getting hard to find in the local wrecking yards (hell local wrecking yards themselves are getting harder to find). If you go with the early Mustang you might eventually have to start using fiberglass parts for most of the body depending on how "rough" it's play-time gets.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing January 3rd 2018, 11:32 am

Gosh what I would give for the local wrecking yards that weee around when I was a kid.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 3rd 2018, 10:33 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:Gosh what I would give for the local wrecking yards that weee around when I was a kid.

X2 most of them around here are gone then the ones we do have want let you on the yard hardly anymore
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down