BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake lines - Steel braided vs hard line for short distance runs...

+4
Curt
DILLIGASDAVE
BigDave65
jbozzelle
8 posters

Go down

Brake lines - Steel braided vs hard line for short distance runs... Empty Brake lines - Steel braided vs hard line for short distance runs...

Post  jbozzelle January 21st 2018, 1:06 pm

I looked through the NHRA rule book and couldn't find any guidelines on how much steel braided brake line is acceptable.

I'm trying to package together the proportioning valve and line lock into a small space and using the steel braid -3 line would help tremendously.

Looks like there is a no maximum length allowed rule like there is with rubber fuel hose?  Rule book states the following "Brake lines must be steel, steel braided, or DOT-approved flexible"

I know the roundy round guys plumb their whole cars with the stainless braid stuff.  Any cons against using it for short runs on my drag car?  I'm still using hard line for the rear brake line and the line to the pass front.  Both of those hardline go to bulkhead fittings then use stainless braid hose to the calipers...

Thoughts?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Brake lines - Steel braided vs hard line for short distance runs... Empty Re: Brake lines - Steel braided vs hard line for short distance runs...

Post  BigDave65 January 21st 2018, 6:03 pm

I used steel braided lines from the frame over to the front caliper, about 16" long. Just enough so the steering doesn't pull it tight. I also have 2 braided steel lines at the back dropping down from the frame going to the rear calipers. They're probably 20-22" long to allow the rear housing to drop down.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Brake lines - Steel braided vs hard line for short distance runs... Empty Re: Brake lines - Steel braided vs hard line for short distance runs...

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 22nd 2018, 7:12 am

Just use the hard line as much as possible. And use the steel braided line as little as possible, just enough length (plus a little extra length so the line never gets pulled tight) to allow for any suspension travel/turning.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 22nd 2018, 1:23 pm

If you want spongy, unpredictable brakes, the stainless hose should be fine. IMHO it should never be used anywhere where you can run a hard line.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 22nd 2018, 10:43 pm

Thanks guys. I was actually able to move the prop valve and line lock around a bit to and use the hard line. It's pain bending tubing for a tight confined space. The legs of the bends need to be a certain length to fit in the flaring tool...

Another question. Anything wrong with running the rear brake line inside the car to the rear brakes? It would actually be easier than routing it underneath the car...

My Futura has the rear brake line routed inside from the factory. Didn't see the rule book mention it. I would route it on the drivers side just inboard of the sill plate between the cage and door...

Thoughts?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 23rd 2018, 7:35 am

jbozzelle wrote:.......Another question.  Anything wrong with running the rear brake line inside the car to the rear brakes?  It would actually be easier than routing it underneath the car......

IIRC the rule book doesn't say anything against brake lines being inside the driver compartment. Just to be safe (if located inside) make sure they aren't placed where they might get stomped on repeatedly, or close enough to an area of the floor where a spinning broken driveshaft might contact that area.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 23rd 2018, 2:52 pm

They would definitely be tucked way out of the way. Just trying to route them the easiest way. And that happens to be inside...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 23rd 2018, 7:58 pm

Try using the nickel copper brake line. Excellent to work with!
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 23rd 2018, 9:02 pm

My mother had a 81 VW Rabbit the brake line ran down by the gas pedal. It was located right where your foot rest for the gas pedal I had went to town in it hit the brakes and brake fluid hit the head liner. She never let me drive it after that she said I had to be hot rodding it. My brother tried to explain it to her but she never let me drive it again I was 16 back then. So make sure if you run it on the inside make sure it way out of your feet

69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 23rd 2018, 9:09 pm

I did the front in stainless. Don’t have enough to do the rear. It have a spool of the galvanized steel. It bends so much easier that the stainless. Going to use it for the rear line.

It’ll be tucked way up out of the way as well. No way my foot or leg would even touch it.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn January 24th 2018, 10:36 am

Here's the best stuff I have found to work with. Originally it was only available in the UK. http://store.fedhillusa.com/
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  goinpostal January 25th 2018, 3:29 am

I had to replace a brake line on my Excursion last year, and the nickle copper stuff is amazingly easy to use.
goinpostal
goinpostal

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 26th 2018, 11:26 am

I'm done. Just need to order the flex lines to run from the body to the calipers.

I ran the rear line inside the car. It tucks into the rear tin work right past the B pillar.... The galvanized stuff I had was real easy to work with.

I'll try the copper/nickel/iron stuff on my Futura. It's getting all new lines as well in the near future...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down