BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Main Seal Crush

+2
cletus66
dbshelton
6 posters

Go down

Rear Main Seal Crush Empty Rear Main Seal Crush

Post  dbshelton April 8th 2018, 8:50 am

I have read so much on this topic that my 60 year old brain is confused. Trying to get this straight since I can't find a diagram or picture. When setting crush to do I put seal half in the main cap flush on 1 end and cut seal to where it protrudes .010 on the other side? Do same, put seal flush in the block on 1 end and cut the seal end to .010 on the other side? Is this correct?
dbshelton
dbshelton

Back to top Go down

Rear Main Seal Crush Empty Re: Rear Main Seal Crush

Post  cletus66 April 8th 2018, 9:20 am

What kind of seal are you using? I have never cut one.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil April 8th 2018, 9:36 am

If you're using a normal 2 piece seal (NOT rope) install with one side protruding about 1/4" from the block and the other with the opposite side protruding from the cap, don't cut or trim anything, just LIGHTLY deburr the ends of the seal cavity where the protruding ends will have to go "in" so the backs of the seal ends don't get shaved. No silicone on the ENDS of the seal, just a touch on the cap-to-block flat area to prevent seepage.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  dbshelton April 8th 2018, 10:41 am

I'm using a Felpro rubber 2 piece seal.
dbshelton
dbshelton

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 8th 2018, 12:02 pm

pmrphil wrote:If you're using a normal 2 piece seal (NOT rope) install with one side protruding about 1/4" from the block and the other with the opposite side protruding from the cap, don't cut or trim anything, just LIGHTLY deburr the ends of the seal cavity where the protruding ends will have to go "in" so the backs of the seal ends don't get shaved. No silicone on the ENDS of the seal, just a touch on the cap-to-block flat area to prevent seepage.

This the way I also do the 2 peace rear main seals never had a problem with one leaking so far.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom April 8th 2018, 3:09 pm

I've got the Kasse one piece and hope that it works ok I should know this week.
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 8th 2018, 10:01 pm

Measuring "crush" on a two piece, steel core, rubber type seal requires a totally different installation than when actually building the engine with the seal ends offset...

Two much "crush" is just as bad for leakage as not enough.  One side of each half, I have protrude from .010" to .014" when doing the measurements for installation.
Some rear seals are OK as is but, not with a line bored/honed block.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dbshelton April 8th 2018, 10:09 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Measuring "crush" on a two piece, steel core, rubber type seal requires a totally different installation than when actually building the engine with the seal ends offset...

Two much "crush" is just as bad for leakage as not enough.  One side of each half, I have protrude from .010" to .014" when doing the measurements for installation.

Thanks Randy!! That's how I measured it. Only took a few thousands from each half to get it within those specs. Then I offset the ends and installed the crank.
dbshelton
dbshelton

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 April 9th 2018, 11:24 am

rmcomprandy wrote:Measuring "crush" on a two piece, steel core, rubber type seal requires a totally different installation than when actually building the engine with the seal ends offset...

Good info. Thanks.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down