BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tilt bed trailers

+5
res0rli9
HorsinAround
jbozzelle
69F100
jasonf
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tilt bed trailers Empty Tilt bed trailers

Post  jasonf June 6th 2018, 4:21 pm

I already have a large enclosed trailer. The big trailer is nice but it is a PITA for short hauls so I am looking at buying an open trailer for shorter runs or for larger hauls like an F150 or my big Galaxie.

Anybody here own or have experience with tilt deck trailers? Are they as nice as they look? I have had regular open trailers with ramps before but I like the idea of the tilt bed.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Tilt bed trailers Empty Re: Tilt bed trailers

Post  69F100 June 6th 2018, 9:25 pm

are you looking at the manual floating tilt or the electric/hydraulic tilt if you are looking at the manual floating tilt I would stay away from that type ruff on the toe truck and trailer if you are not real super careful when loading it load to fast and it will slam down
I just bought a Big Tex 75D car hauler open trailer takes less than 5 mins to load and strap down and pulls great I bought the 18' I got a great deal on and it is a 2018 model
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf June 6th 2018, 9:32 pm

I was thinking electric/hydraulic as far as raising the deck. I don't want to be cranking or pumping it up that's for sure. Looking at pictures on the www I wonder if the angle is too steep like it would hit the front bumper on a car.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 6th 2018, 9:41 pm

the manual floating type I used years back you had bolt on the tongue to loosen then flip it over out of the way and the bed would tilt then when you unloaded it you had to walk up the trailer then it would tilt back down then reach over the front stop bar and flip the bolt back over then tighten back my 69 mustang just did clear the frontend on level ground if on unlevel it would rub
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle June 12th 2018, 2:49 pm

I have a 22' flat steel deck with a 4' beavertail. No tilt for me. Just like to follow the keep it simple mentality with no moving parts...

Recently bought a 22' Stagecoach flat steel deck for $3100 out the door. Dealer I bought from doesn't mark them up much, which is hard to come by these days. I had priced a PJ and Big Tex and simply couldn't justify spending 50-75% more for practically the same trailer... And all that price difference was most likely dealer markup!

my dad bought the old trailer at Herb's in baton Rouge over 20 years ago and it's still going strong. Figured the same construction would be good again...

I have the below trailer in 22'. It came with some specific things the dealer orders with all of his trailers like a longer triple tube tongue, set back jack, longer ramps, spare tire mount. I'm extremely happy with it and it just made the trip Kentucky and back this past weekend.

http://www.stagecoachtrailers.com/uploads/1/7/3/7/17372709/mcclintock.jpg

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf June 13th 2018, 10:14 am

jbozzelle wrote:I have a 22' flat steel deck with a 4' beavertail.  No tilt for me.  Just like to follow the keep it simple mentality with no moving parts...

Recently bought a 22' Stagecoach flat steel deck for $3100 out the door.  Dealer I bought from doesn't mark them up much, which is hard to come by these days.  I had priced a PJ and Big Tex and simply couldn't justify spending 50-75% more for practically the same trailer...  And all that price difference was most likely dealer markup!

my dad bought the old trailer at Herb's in baton Rouge over 20 years ago and it's still going strong.  Figured the same construction would be good again...

I have the below trailer in 22'.  It came with some specific things the dealer orders with all of his trailers like a longer triple tube tongue, set back jack, longer ramps, spare tire mount.  I'm extremely happy with it and it just made the trip Kentucky and back this past weekend.

http://www.stagecoachtrailers.com/uploads/1/7/3/7/17372709/mcclintock.jpg

Did you buy that direct or do they have dealers in Louisiana?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle June 13th 2018, 10:41 am

Bought it in Bay St. Louis, MS. Call Stagecoach to see if there is a dealer closer to you. Link to the place I bought it at is below. The 20 foot version of the trailer I have is in the middle of the picture on the website below. Stagecoach added 2 more feet to it for me for I think $400.

Out the door I paid $3,190.

http://www.hwy90auto.com/

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround June 13th 2018, 1:30 pm

Friend of mine bought a tilt deck last year to haul equipment on, and also to haul his mustang to the track. Works great. its not a deck over so the angle isn't a problem with the stang. If memory serves, it has a hydraulic shock absorber deal that softens the tilt action.

John, do you know how much that steel deck trailer weighs? I had an 18ft 10k steel deck and it was heavy. I sold it because it was heavy and I was always scratching the paint with equipment.

Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle June 13th 2018, 9:00 pm

Not sure on the weight. Maybe 1500lbs? I was after a full deck trailer this time around so a 4 wheeler or golf cart could be carried on it. My other trailer just had the two 2x12 runners on each side and it limited the trailer to only vehicles with a track width that wide. Can put anything on this flat deck. I'll just repaint it if it gets torn up.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 June 28th 2018, 4:07 am

I have this one...  Works great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfKsdnSI7sw

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf June 28th 2018, 1:35 pm

I can't believe how hard it is to buy a trailer. I have called at least 8 places and it is like pulling teeth to get any info. People don't know what they have, what they have on order, when it will be there, what size axles the trailer has that they have in stock. Manufacturers don't list dealers so you have to call then wait on hold for 5 minutes and then they give you 1 dealers phone number. What a PITA.

The car guy trailers look nice but I emailed them for info. I like the stage coach ones but stock seems to be what ever you can find. Ordering is 6-8 weeks. Damn I'm just looking for an open car trailer.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 June 28th 2018, 1:50 pm

Tons of gently used trailers on Craig’s list. A guy I work with recently bought a covered one just a couple years old for half what a new one costs.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead June 29th 2018, 8:13 am

jasonf wrote:I can't believe how hard it is to buy a trailer. I have called at least 8 places and it is like pulling teeth to get any info. People don't know what  they have, what they have on order, when it will be there, what size axles the trailer has that they have in stock.

Jason,

I've had several open trailers,.....and my current one,...is by far the best one I've ever owned.   http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/car-trailers/diamond-floor-car-trailer/standard-10000-gvwr-car-trailer-diamond-floor/

Perfectly balanced and tows like a dream.

It's not a Tilt type like you're looking for,.... BUT,.......They do offer those as well.
http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/car-trailers/tilt-car-trailer/

You should definitely check them out.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle June 29th 2018, 6:34 pm

jasonf wrote:I like the stage coach ones but stock seems to be what ever you can find. Ordering is 6-8 weeks.........

The dealer ordered what I wanted and it came in 2 weeks later for me...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 3rd 2018, 1:59 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
jasonf wrote:I like the stage coach ones but stock seems to be what ever you can find. Ordering is 6-8 weeks.........

The dealer ordered what I wanted and it came in 2 weeks later for me...

I called the place in your link and just got a voicemail. They did have a trailer on their site before but it is gone now.

How do you like the 83" width? Looking on the Stage coach web page that is all they make. I was wondering if a 102" would be more universal..
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 4th 2018, 11:49 am

83" width is cool.  Same as what I had before.  Don't see the need to have a wider one when all I'll haul are cars, lumber and maybe some small equipment.

Did you call Stagecoach to see if there is a dealer closer to you? Hell, you could probably buy from a dealer in Texas and pick it up while you're at work...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 4th 2018, 6:30 pm

jbozzelle wrote:83" width is cool.  Same as what I had before.  Don't see the need to have a wider one when all I'll haul are cars, lumber and maybe some small equipment.

Did you call Stagecoach to see if there is a dealer closer to you?  Hell, you could probably buy from a dealer in Texas and pick it up while you're at work...

I did call them and they gave me a dealer in Houston. Prices are not close to what you paid though. lol.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 5th 2018, 9:33 am

jasonf wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:83" width is cool.  Same as what I had before.  Don't see the need to have a wider one when all I'll haul are cars, lumber and maybe some small equipment.

Did you call Stagecoach to see if there is a dealer closer to you?  Hell, you could probably buy from a dealer in Texas and pick it up while you're at work...

I did call them and they gave me a dealer in Houston. Prices are not close to what you paid though. lol.

Keep calling him. It's just him and his wife that run the place.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround July 11th 2018, 11:00 am

jasonf wrote:

I called the place in your link and just got a voicemail. They did have a trailer on their site before but it is gone now.

How do you like the 83" width? Looking on the Stage coach web page that is all they make. I was wondering if a 102" would be more universal..

FYI, 83" is the distance between the fenders and 102" is the maximum width legally allowed on a trailer. The only way you'll see 102 wide is with a deck over trailer or one with drive over fenders.
83" is actually very good, most open car trailers are 73-79" between the fenders.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn July 12th 2018, 8:26 am

I don't know who makes it, but those guys on "Misfit Garage" have a really nice tilt-bed trailer.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround July 12th 2018, 11:04 am

Doug Rahn wrote:I don't know who makes it, but those guys on "Misfit Garage" have a really nice tilt-bed trailer.

Watching an episode and I see 2.

http://www.carguytrailers.com/eliminator-tilt-deck.html

http://www.maxxdtrailers.com/product/a6x/maxxd-10k-drop-n-load/

HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 3rd 2018, 8:21 am

HorsinAround wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:I don't know who makes it, but those guys on "Misfit Garage" have a really nice tilt-bed trailer.

Watching an episode and I see 2.

http://www.carguytrailers.com/eliminator-tilt-deck.html

http://www.maxxdtrailers.com/product/a6x/maxxd-10k-drop-n-load/

Those carguy trailers are really nice and probably my favorite.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 3rd 2018, 11:07 am

jbozzelle wrote:I have a 22' flat steel deck with a 4' beavertail.  No tilt for me.  Just like to follow the keep it simple mentality with no moving parts...

Did you go 22' so you could haul a golf cart at the front or something?

Here is my 56 on an 18' trailer. No dovetail (borrowed) and a pita to load.

Tilt bed trailers 20180710

jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 August 7th 2018, 7:13 pm

I have a Featherlike 17'6" open trailer and it weights 1400lbs. When I had the Ranchero which weighted 4000lbs is was easy to tow with my Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. Best open trailer Ive ever hadTilt bed trailers Dscn1565
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle August 8th 2018, 10:52 am

jasonf wrote:

Did you go 22' so you could haul a golf cart at the front or something?

Here is my 56 on an 18' trailer. No dovetail (borrowed) and a pita to load.

Tilt bed trailers 20180710

Yeah, Golf cart of 4 wheeler on the front with the car behind. Haven't tried it yet but the trailer pulled good to/from the race in KY. Will be going to No Problem Friday night to race the car and plan to stick the 4 wheeler across the front.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next