BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ?

+2
ED468
ChrisH
6 posters

Go down

A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ? Empty A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ?

Post  ChrisH June 12th 2018, 10:34 pm

to start with, yes I broke one. decided to use a rubber mallet to knock the cap off instead of getting the slide hammer out.
sometimes you just do something dumb.

anyway, what are these for?
the cap has a side register to locate it side to side (basically the oil pan rail)
looks to be the same depth as a DOVE block for instance.

or is it for high rpm operation.

by the way, anybody have a source for these things?

chris

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ? Empty Dowel pin.

Post  ED468 June 13th 2018, 9:40 am

A machine shop can surely make some, might want to remove one or the broken piece to get proper length. Too long be easily be shorten. Good luck getting the broken one out. I'm not sure if in block or cap.

ED468

Back to top Go down

A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ? Empty Re: A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ?

Post  dfree383 June 13th 2018, 9:42 am

You broke the cap with a rubber mallet?

You could contact Lem Evans at BF Evans Ford and see if he can get a new one or put an add in the wanted section and see if anyone has something off an expired block.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ? Empty Re: A460 main cap pins - what are they for, locating, cap walk, ?

Post  Lem Evans June 13th 2018, 9:49 am

dfree383 wrote:You broke the cap with a rubber mallet?

You could contact Lem Evans at BF Evans Ford and see if he can get a new one or put an add in the wanted section and see if anyone has something off an expired block.

Dowel pin .....not the cap.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 13th 2018, 9:52 am

The fastener joints like Fastenal may have something. What dia. is the one you broke?
?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane June 13th 2018, 11:34 am

ChrisH wrote:...I broke one...

anyway, what are these for?
the cap has a side register to locate it side to side (basically the oil pan rail)
looks to be the same depth as a DOVE block for instance.

by the way, anybody have a source for these things?

chris

Yes, on the 2-bolt passenger car blocks the step in the main webbing serves as the cap register and locates the cap, the cap having an interference fit to the block.

But on the A460 blocks it is actually the dowels in the main webbing that serve as the cap registers and locate the main caps—the A460 caps do not have an interference fit to the block as the passenger car blocks do but are a “floating” cap comparatively speaking (caps are located by the dowels).

The dowels are a more expensive and exotic approach to locating the main caps but they provide greater precision and repeatability, and they also address the load bearing of the main caps in all directions, whereas the 2-bolt blocks are mass production pieces where it is more cost effective and time efficient to just machine the register into the block.  This approach doesn’t address all the main cap loads in all the directions as effectively as doweled caps but it is more than adequate for their intended application.  

The main cap fitment in the factory 4-bolt SCJ and C9AE Boss 429 blocks are like that of the A460.

McMaster-Carr almost certainly has what you need.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisH June 13th 2018, 11:30 pm

thank guys.
ill check McMasters.
I drilled the pin out of the cap tonight, that sob is HARD. only thing I had that could cut it was a re-profiled masonry bit (carbide).
now I have to get the piece out of the block. I believe I will get a real carbide bit for that, or I could let the machinist get it out when I take the block in for finish work.

ill probably just double down on stupid ideas and do it my self.

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino June 14th 2018, 12:29 am

Can you drill out the center of it and use a small 'EZ Out' extractor??

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisH June 14th 2018, 12:24 pm

i was going to get a small carbide bit, drill and try to tap it. then thread a small bolt into it and use a slide hammer to pull it out.
it should have a press fit, so it will be stuck in there.

i know the machinist could do it. and doing this stuff my self usually doesn't save any money. its just a stuborn thing of, i screwed it up, i want to tray and fix it.

the easy out is plan B if i can tap the hole.

plan C will be to drill it out like i did the cap.

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down