BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on annular vs down leg for street truck

+11
TommyK
DeepRoots
Mark Miller
BBFTorino
DaveMcLain
rmcomprandy
Price5113
rmk57
Dave De
Carl
somethingclever
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thoughts on annular vs down leg for street truck - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts on annular vs down leg for street truck

Post  DaveMcLain December 18th 2018, 4:36 pm

somethingclever wrote:
DanE wrote:I don't think Randy "suggested" the use of the Holly Avenger carb as much as he "announced" it's existence.

I believe HOLLY's  Street Demon 750 CFM carburetor would be a good choice for your build. It has a "triple stack" booster and many very good features.

Thanks Dan...I looked into those carbs last night after you suggested (ok..announced) it.

This, along with the off-road truck avenger, could be good off the shelf solution for me.

I would recommend leaving any of the Avenger carburetors on the shelf. The factory calibration is terrible and you'd be far better off with a 3310.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on annular vs down leg for street truck - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts on annular vs down leg for street truck

Post  somethingclever December 18th 2018, 5:38 pm

DaveMcLain wrote:
somethingclever wrote:
DanE wrote:I don't think Randy "suggested" the use of the Holly Avenger carb as much as he "announced" it's existence.

I believe HOLLY's  Street Demon 750 CFM carburetor would be a good choice for your build. It has a "triple stack" booster and many very good features.

Thanks Dan...I looked into those carbs last night after you suggested (ok..announced) it.

This, along with the off-road truck avenger, could be good off the shelf solution for me.

I would recommend leaving any of the Avenger carburetors on the shelf.  The factory calibration is terrible and you'd be far better off with a 3310.

thanks Dave!....appreciate your opinion and experience.

somethingclever

Back to top Go down

Post  somethingclever January 3rd 2019, 2:24 pm

called BLP and they too were not interested in any street deals with VS and electric choke.

Talked to Skip who was very knowledgeable and friendly and suggested I look for an OTS deal with downleg boosters and billet metering block in the 750 cfm range.

He suggested a Holley Brawler series or similar.

I also called Holley tech support but that proved to be a waste of time.

Don't need the carb tomorrow...so going to sit on this for a little bit longer before making a decision.

leaning toward - P/N BR-67208

somethingclever

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 January 3rd 2019, 10:28 pm

I have the mechanical secondary version of that same carb on my 390 and love it. It's been on there for about a year with no problems. Spent about a month of Saturdays getting it tweaked but it is a very nice running carb now. My brother in law was over at Christmas (chevy guy) he was talking smack about it probably wouldn't crank because it was so cold. I walked over and pumped it twice hit the switch and it fired up and idled with no help until it ran dry. I forgot to turn on the fuel pump. Not bad considering it had been sitting for over a month and it was 40 deg.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain January 4th 2019, 11:03 am

stanger68 wrote:I have the mechanical secondary version of that same carb on my 390 and love it. It's been on there for about a year with no problems. Spent about a month of Saturdays getting it tweaked  but it is a very nice running carb now. My brother in law was over at Christmas (chevy guy)  he was talking smack about it probably wouldn't crank because it was so cold. I walked over and pumped it twice hit the switch and it fired up and idled with no help until it ran dry. I forgot to turn on the fuel pump. Not bad considering it had been sitting for over a month and it was 40 deg.

If it did that your idle setting are way too rich once the engine gets up to temperature.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil January 4th 2019, 2:21 pm

DaveMcLain wrote:
stanger68 wrote:I have the mechanical secondary version of that same carb on my 390 and love it. It's been on there for about a year with no problems. Spent about a month of Saturdays getting it tweaked  but it is a very nice running carb now. My brother in law was over at Christmas (chevy guy)  he was talking smack about it probably wouldn't crank because it was so cold. I walked over and pumped it twice hit the switch and it fired up and idled with no help until it ran dry. I forgot to turn on the fuel pump. Not bad considering it had been sitting for over a month and it was 40 deg.

If it did that your idle setting are way too rich once the engine gets up to temperature.  
Do you know that the carb he's talking about has a choke? Set right, it should do that.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain January 4th 2019, 2:24 pm

pmrphil wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:

Do you know that the carb he's talking about has a choke? Set right, it should do that.

I didn't know that it was a model with a choke so you're right it should do that once the choke is set. I was wrong.

\

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2