BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floor shifter

4 posters

Go down

Floor shifter Empty Floor shifter

Post  sledhead1 March 9th 2019, 6:48 pm

Does any know a good floor shifter?  I have a 56 f-100 with a 429 and a c6.  I have a hurst promatic 2 truck shifter in it but it cant be adjusted properly.  I even sent a video to hurst, but they wouldn't help.  Said its too old to be covered by their lifetime warranty.  So i guess that leaves me looking to replace it.  Are the new ones any better at fitting the c6?  Is there another floor shifter that would work in the truck with the bench seat?  Id like something like a lokar but that ratchets or a gated one with a long handle

Last edited by sledhead1 on March 10th 2019, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

sledhead1

Back to top Go down

Floor shifter Empty Re: Floor shifter

Post  pmrphil March 10th 2019, 10:44 am

Look at the Turbo Action Cheetah shifter - probably the most dependable piece out there, and easy to use.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 March 10th 2019, 2:13 pm

I'm using a B&M pro stick, which is a universal type shifter. The problem most of these shifters have is they have to fit a variety of transmissions. The issue being is the GM turbo 350-400 shift from R to P is rather long whereas the Ford C6 is shorter so what happens is you can over extend the cable trying to put the shifter in park and ruin the cable. I set mine up so it shifts perfectly from 1st to reverse and after that you have be careful going into park. I will go into park on the transmission but not to the end of the gate on the shifter. I think B&M mentions this along with Hurst. I have mine installed in 1957 Ford with a bench seat.

I cant speak for Cheetah, Lokar or any other brands. Maybe there's a manufacturer out there that has a C6 specific shifter?

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  sledhead1 March 10th 2019, 9:33 pm

i put a new cable with "zero" lash and a new arm on the transmission. I might see if i can weld up the ratchet plate or something. Just was hoping better. If i adjust it for 1st it wont even get to neutral before its out.

sledhead1

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 March 11th 2019, 12:09 pm

I looked at the kit that your shifter came with and it looks the same as my B&M kit. I spent quite a bit of time adjusting. Starting from neutral with the shifter in neutral, from 1st and on and on.....
What worked for me, and isn't perfect was leaving the shifter in 1st and trans in 1st and do very small adjustments. It's not perfect as I explained in the iffy park engagement, but works pretty good
up to reverse. I guess you could also try lengthening or shortening the lever on the trans and see if that gets you anywhere.

Good luck

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Floor shifter Empty Shifter

Post  blown473 March 24th 2019, 6:26 pm

Check out Lokar's selection, really good stuff, and they have taller handles for trucks or trucks using a bench seat.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  sledhead1 March 24th 2019, 7:03 pm

blown473 wrote:Check out Lokar's selection, really good stuff, and they have taller handles for trucks or trucks using a bench seat.

Do they any kind of gate or rachet to them? I dont think id be able to shift it at wot manually with just detents. Thats the style i would like.

sledhead1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down