BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valve size for E7TE heads

4 posters

Go down

Valve size for E7TE heads Empty Valve size for E7TE heads

Post  Nothwoods August 25th 2019, 5:24 pm

Thinking about porting a set of E7TE heads. I know they aren't the best choice for making power but they're nice clean castings and I'd be putting them on my truck with the stock fuel injection. Does anyone know how big I can go on the valve size, or at least what size it makes sense to go up to with a basic DIY port job? The only other major changes I'm planning is flat top pistons to bring the compression up, and I'm going to see if there's a low to mid range cam out there that will still run properly the speed density injection system. Just want to keep the stock intake and exhaust manifolds, so I'm not sure if that will cancel out any improvements to the heads. Appreciate any input.

Nothwoods

Back to top Go down

Valve size for E7TE heads Empty Re: Valve size for E7TE heads

Post  BBFTorino August 25th 2019, 11:26 pm

There was a whole thread on here about those heads, and a guy who was doing some intense porting / flowing / testing on them, and he posted pics of everything....but I cannot find it for the life of me! But those heads with some work, are a lot better than most folks realize.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 26th 2019, 9:40 am

Nothwoods wrote:Thinking about porting a set of E7TE heads.  I know they aren't the best choice for making power but they're nice clean castings and I'd be putting them on my truck with the stock fuel injection.  Does anyone know how big I can go on the valve size, or at least what size it makes sense to go up to with a basic DIY port job?  The only other major changes I'm planning is flat top pistons to bring the compression up, and I'm going to see if there's a low to mid range cam out there that will still run properly the speed density injection system.  Just want to keep the stock intake and exhaust manifolds, so I'm not sure if that will cancel out any improvements to the heads.  Appreciate any input.

P.I. valves are most often used in those heads themselves; 2.200" intake; 1.725" exhaust.
(The intake notch in most O.E.M. pistons will not accept anything more than 2.125" diameter intake valves).

However, you CAN use up to a 2.300" intake or 1.800" exhaust if you are sure that both diameters don't add up to more than 4.010" inches, total.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nothwoods August 26th 2019, 10:06 am

thanks for the replies guys, I think the 2.2 and 1.7 are fine for what I'm doing. If I go forward with this project I'll be changing the pistons anyways.

Nothwoods

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane August 26th 2019, 2:41 pm

Nothwoods wrote:Thinking about porting a set of E7TE heads...I'd be putting them on my truck with the stock fuel injection.  Does anyone know how big I can go on the valve size, or at least what size it makes sense to go up to with a basic DIY port job?  ...I'm planning...flat top pistons to bring the compression up, and...a low to mid range cam out there ...want to keep the stock intake and exhaust manifolds... Appreciate any input.
The 460FI heads are easy to apply common sense porting, and offer great improvements with little effort. The E7TE heads require only a little bit more work than the F3TEs since you typically must install the bigger intake valve.

For a 460FI upgraded with flat tops, installed into an F-250, and which will use a smallish "low to mid range cam," the 2.08" intake valve might be just fine, or perhaps a 2.11". An intake valve bigger than that might be better suited for a stroker engine used in a similar application.

The factory 460FI aluminum intake benefits greatly from porting (enlarging) the runner exits at the cylinder head mating flange; the rest of the runner and plenum volume are good as cast for what you are targeting.

Lastly, I suggest you use the Victor Reinz intake gaskets for port matching these two components to one another, not the Felpro.  The Victor Reinz is a great template for a truly round intake runner:

FELPRO:

Valve size for E7TE heads Felpro10

VICTOR REINZ:

Valve size for E7TE heads Vr460f10

These are 2.08" stainless / 1.65" stock exhaust valves in a pair of E7TEs which were set up for a build similar to yours.:

Valve size for E7TE heads E7te_010

Valve size for E7TE heads E7te_011

Valve size for E7TE heads E7te_012
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nothwoods August 28th 2019, 5:58 pm

Thank you guys, I'm wondering if I should save some money then and stick with the stock exhaust valves, especially where I'm running the stock manifolds. I guess I'll see what shape they're in after I tear the heads down. Great info on the intake manifold ports too, I'll do that as well. Paul do you know what was involved in getting the engine tuned properly on that build? Such as wether it required larger fuel pumps or a mass air sensor conversion or anything? Thanks

Nothwoods

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 28th 2019, 11:00 pm

Nothwoods wrote:Thank you guys, I'm wondering if I should save some money then and stick with the stock exhaust valves, especially where I'm running the stock manifolds.  I guess I'll see what shape they're in after I tear the heads down.  Great info on the intake manifold ports too, I'll do that as well.  Paul do you know what was involved in getting the engine tuned properly on that build?  Such as wether it required larger fuel pumps or a mass air sensor conversion or anything?  Thanks

If you are now asking for an opinion instead of information;

I would use a replacement length 2.11" intake valve from "S.I. Valves" and use the production exhaust valves.
Do some bowl porting and a good valve job.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane August 29th 2019, 12:58 am

...and I’m pretty sure I have a set of those exact 2.11” valves if you’re interested; Nothwoods. A bit less than  retail, too; call me direct if you want them.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down