BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running in a flat tappet cam.. opinions on procedure please..

5 posters

Go down

Running in a flat tappet cam.. opinions on procedure please.. Empty Running in a flat tappet cam.. opinions on procedure please..

Post  nascar429 September 26th 2019, 11:13 am

Hi All..

Helping a friend who had an engine built for him by someone else.. that I've fitted into the car..it has double valve springs for a hydraulic cam i checked them and open pressure is 290 -300lbs which worried me a little for initial camshaft break in.

I removed the inner spring and it was down to 190lbs-200 lbs ran the camshaft in for 25 minutes at 2000 - 2400 rpm all good so far..refitted the inner springs and plan to run it up again tomorrow..

My question do you guys like to run the camshaft up again at 2000 - 2400 rpm a second time for 20-25 minutes with the now final higher spring pressure..? that is my thinking and plan so far.

opinions appreciated Thank you.

nascar429

Back to top Go down

Running in a flat tappet cam.. opinions on procedure please.. Empty Re: Running in a flat tappet cam.. opinions on procedure please..

Post  BBFTorino September 26th 2019, 12:26 pm

I don't think too many people run it a 2nd time with the full spring pressure, but it surely would not hurt anything by doing so.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Running in a flat tappet cam.. opinions on procedure please.. Empty Re: Running in a flat tappet cam.. opinions on procedure please..

Post  away September 26th 2019, 1:37 pm

The important thing here is good oil with ZDDP additive.
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  nascar429 September 26th 2019, 8:23 pm

He is running Brad Penn 20/50 from memory... I added a bottle of Crane cams super lube break in concentrate.

nascar429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 27th 2019, 7:50 pm

The main reason higher RPM is suggested is to have the oil pressure raised to a higher point than it is at idle.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl September 30th 2019, 3:28 pm

I always did a second 15 min break-in cycle after installing the inner springs. Heat cycling is good.

Carl

rwhite505 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down