BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

race bearing ?

5 posters

Go down

race bearing ? Empty race bearing ?

Post  torino501 November 14th 2019, 7:50 pm

gonna try my hand at a 351c, ive got a .030 over block,.010/.010 on the crank. this thing was rebuilt bout 6 yrs ago with cast builder grade stuff. nothing special. its a 2v btw.... im putting some trick flows on it and gound some old school speed pro flat top forged piston for it. ive heard hoarer stories about the oiling issues on these engines. im wanting to maybe put a 3/4 groove bearing in it to help the rods out a little bit more. ive heard that the 3/4 grove bearing from speed pro(all I can find) is a race bearing and doesn't jive with a soft stock crank. ive never heard of this. all the things ive read is if you use a stock crank use the p or passenger bearings as the are softer for embeddability. this will be a steet strip deal. maybe 65-6800 with a hydro roller cam. what say you guys.

torino501

Back to top Go down

race bearing ? Empty Re: race bearing ?

Post  bosshoss November 14th 2019, 10:35 pm

I ran a Cleveland combo for many years before stepping up to the 460 platform. I think any good quality bearing is going to fine as long as you maintain a good steady supply of oil. Stay away from the high volume pump, make sure you use the correct lifters and don't let all your oil end up in the valve covers.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  procharger 528 November 14th 2019, 11:07 pm

i have been down this road..p bearings on a std crank is the only way its going to work in a Cleveland...
full grove mains help a lot the last set i done i hose clipped the main bearing and put it in the lave and cut a full groove ....
i have always run a high vol pump with a sump that holds more oil...i have broken more Cleveland's engines than anyone should have to trying to figure this out..it always run number 7 rod...
the last engine i did i lifter bushed it this helped fix the problem as well...
H series bearing wont work even with the lifter bushes on a std crank..
procharger 528
procharger 528

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr November 15th 2019, 2:36 pm

Std oil pump , high pressure spring, and an extra capacity oil pan is what makes a Cleveland live. I agree H bearings are a little tough on an iron crank but they are also tough on a steel crank. Never hurt #7 , used to be 1 and 5 when I was not as well versed on the oil pump thing. Haven't hurt a rod in a Cleveland in 30+ years despite trying to.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  procharger 528 November 15th 2019, 4:41 pm

we ran a pretty good Cleveland program for about 10 years in the late 90s...
we use to run it to 8500rpm on every pass...
it was a nos engine making around 850-900hp...we pushed it pretty hard...
we ran the std 2 bolt blocks half hard filled with dowels and a girdle with iron 4v heads...
we tried the std pump with the high pressure spring we didn't get as many runs out of the bearings as we did with the high volume pump...
we had the extra clearance ground into the crank and ran P bearings...
the wear would always show on #3 and 7 rod not sure why but thats how it was for us...
we tried it all with different bearings restrictor kits oil feed lines in the valley bronzes lifter bores crank scrapers windage trays and even a accumulator..
the best result for us was the lifter bushes hi vol pump and the accumulator...
this was a quite a few years ago...i since sold that set up and was talking to the new owner about it a while ago..
he got talked into using H series bearings... it would tear up the rod bearing on number 7 every couple of runs...
procharger 528
procharger 528

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal November 17th 2019, 5:23 pm

Cast cranks are not "soft"

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  procharger 528 November 18th 2019, 10:19 pm

they are compared to a nitrated crank...
procharger 528
procharger 528

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down