BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil temps

5 posters

Go down

Oil temps Empty Oil temps

Post  Steve-oh August 24th 2020, 8:17 pm

What is "normal" operating oil temps that I should be looking for ? Bogg/ race truck , on methanol, noticed quite a a bit of moisture in the last engine, installing an oil temp gauge on my new engine, was planning on running the vr 1 20w 50.

Steve-oh

Back to top Go down

Oil temps Empty Re: Oil temps

Post  rmcomprandy August 26th 2020, 10:53 am

Steve-oh wrote:What is "normal" operating oil temps that I should be looking for ? Bogg/ race truck , on methanol,  noticed quite a a bit of moisture in the last engine,  installing an oil temp gauge on my new engine, was planning on running the vr 1 20w 50.

Drag racing is mostly a lot lower however, an oil temp of about 225f Degrees is usually best..

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MarkJ August 30th 2020, 8:56 am

T

Last edited by MarkJ on August 30th 2020, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkJ
MarkJ

Back to top Go down

Post  MarkJ August 30th 2020, 8:57 am

Just curious, are you doing anything to help with the moisture now? Like making sure you bring it up to temp before loading up, or running a vacuum pump? As long as nothing is leaking water, I only changed the oil because of guilt when running alcohol.
MarkJ
MarkJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-oh August 30th 2020, 9:45 am

Was having fuel delivery problems at the time and starter issues which destroyed the flexplate, went ahead and built new engine when I pulled the old one so never got to really use the truck when I swapped over to methanol

Steve-oh

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 30th 2020, 10:22 am

200-225 is fine for the street, I’ve see circle track cars operate at 250-275 with no issues
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-oh August 30th 2020, 10:34 am

No street engine, hard bogging / racing, hill and hole style

Steve-oh

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 30th 2020, 10:59 am

dfree383 wrote:200-225 is fine for the street, I’ve see circle track cars operate at 250-275 with no issues

Will it work at higher temperatures ... of course; especially a good synthetic. However, it is not the optimum which racing oil producers recommend.
In any case ... be sure to get it above the boiling temperature of water if possible.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MarkJ August 30th 2020, 11:57 am

Started running alcohol in the 80's. Enderle injection. Played with several things and found a vacuum pump and heating it up to around 190 to 200 water temp before shutting down for the night was the ticket. I ran the the VR1 oil also with no oiling issues. However, no matter what I did there was always a small amount of methanol left in the cylinders that I could not clear out which caused some staining on the cylinder walls that I did not like so I went to gas. Probably could have pulled the plugs and it would have evaporated on second thought. On the return road I woul lean it out so it would build heat at the end of each run. Also after getting it hot for going home I took the caps off the valve covers to let more methamol fumes escape the crankcase. My friends that still run it swear by Shaeffer Racing oil 20w 50 oil in PA . That is their opinion.
MarkJ
MarkJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-oh August 30th 2020, 12:34 pm

Thanks for the info guys, try to incorporate all that into my shut down procedure

Steve-oh

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt August 30th 2020, 5:11 pm

I start and put heat into the block on gas. I don't really care what my water temp is before the burnout. I do try to maintain an oil temp of anywhere between 180°-200°. I monitor the water temp from the start to the end of the pass to keep a handle on rich/lean conditions.

I make my pass on Methanol, return to the pit on gas, and heat it up with gas before trailering.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down