BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head and neck restraint

5 posters

Go down

Head and neck restraint Empty Head and neck restraint

Post  Dave De December 23rd 2020, 2:37 pm

I feel bad posting this with all the Covid news and the sudden death of Rich's wife Denise. Sometimes life just sucks. Rich needs to find his new normal without his best on his side. Life's purpose going forward is a daily struggle.

Onto my minor issue...
I have been diagnosed with severe arthritis on my neck C4-C7. I'm having periodic numbness to my hands and forearms. I will be seeing an expert in January. I still want to race next year and think that I can by using a neck brace better than the foam doughnut.

I hear good reviews about the Necksgen Rev. Its available in 2" or 3" rise for the medium size that fits. I will also be putting a helmet rest on the back of the halo cage pocket. If you have any experience with them or Hans or any other type except for the foam doughnut, please let me have it.

Thanks in advance.
Dave De
Dave De

BOSS 429 and MarkJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Head and neck restraint Empty Re: Head and neck restraint

Post  Curt December 24th 2020, 2:38 pm

#1 - The only purpose of the donut is to keep fire out of your helmet.
#2 - any of the tethered neck supports will do a good job. Comfort and style is the main considerations. You'll need to wear a neck sock of some sort with them since you're going to use your donut for a hemorrhoid pad. Laughing
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Falcon67 December 25th 2020, 5:04 pm

I use a Necksgen in my dragster. No head sock, its fine without. I like it, been using it for going on 4 years now. Thankfully haven't tested its capabilities. I set it on my shoulder when I get in and then throw the belts over. 2nd in line, set belts, put on the helmet, latch the helmet straps, gloves, restraints and ready to go.

Falcon67

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 28th 2020, 11:28 am

Do you have the REV model and is it 2" or 3"?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 December 29th 2020, 7:56 pm

Dave De wrote:I feel bad posting this with all the Covid news and the sudden death of Rich's wife Denise. Sometimes life just sucks. Rich needs to find his new normal without his best on his side. Life's purpose going forward is a daily struggle.

Onto my minor issue...
I have been diagnosed with severe arthritis on my neck C4-C7. I'm having periodic numbness to my hands and forearms. I will be seeing an expert in January. I still want to race next year and think that I can by using a neck brace better than the foam doughnut.

I hear good reviews about the Necksgen Rev. Its available in 2" or 3" rise for the medium size that fits. I will also be putting a helmet rest on the back of the halo cage pocket. If you have any experience with them or Hans or any other type except for the foam doughnut, please let me have it.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the kind words,-Rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Falcon67 December 30th 2020, 12:49 am

I'll have to dig it out and measure- those were not options when I brought mine 4 years ago. Not even sure what that means.

Falcon67

Back to top Go down

Post  Falcon67 December 30th 2020, 9:22 am

Mine is a Rev, large. 14" wide. Not sure how they measure the rise, but mine looks to have 2" above the shoulders. Like I said, mine predates the Rev2 and such.

Falcon67

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss December 30th 2020, 9:18 pm

I run a Hans device. NHRA says i have to have a skirted helmet or the donut as well.. like stated above I guess that is to keep the flames out of the helmet..

If you are looking for something to support your head and neck under normal conditions this is not it...

As designed the Hans only helps prevent whiplash type injuries in the event of sudden decel or accel events. The rest of the time the straps are loose and do nothing to actually support the head.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Falcon67 December 30th 2020, 9:41 pm

Same with the Rev - its a helmet restraint. I run a dragster in Super Pro and nobody, even the sub 5 cars (1/8 mile) wears a head sock. Nor have I seen any Hans devices. Its helmet and neck collar. At this track, I'm the only Rev user I've seen. They may use Hans and head socks in Top Dragster since most of those cars exceed 200mph.

Falcon67

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 30th 2020, 11:58 pm

I think I'm going to add a helmet support to my cage where my helmet rests so when the car leaves I get the support. Then with the Necksgen Rev M3 if I wreck I will live to see another day. Pretty stupid package on a car with a 12 pt cage, a NASCAR halo, and no chute that runs 150 mph in the quarter. Right now I'm not able to snow ski because when I turn my head its like breaking glass. I'm trying to be positive about MRI results in January. We will see.
Thanks for the insight and experience on restraints including how they work.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down