BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mustang BBF swap K-member & long tube header combo's that have worked for you?

+3
Mark Miller
BOSS 429
2slik
7 posters

Go down

Mustang BBF swap K-member & long tube header combo's that have worked for you? Empty Mustang BBF swap K-member & long tube header combo's that have worked for you?

Post  2slik April 9th 2021, 9:23 pm

So I'm planning on installing my 521/C6 combo in my 99 Mustang GT and after spending several days reading old post's on the subject of k-members and headers I still don't feel I have a definitive answer. Some of the post's are so old that they don't even make those parts anymore! Anyhow, I thought I would make this post and try to get some more current info. If I was forced to make a decision today I would say I'd use an AJE K-member with 1/2" spacers, some D&D 2 1/8" slip fit headers and their custom thinner diameter steering shaft and hope for the best. Looking for a bolt in situation and not a bunch of fab work. Thank you in advance to all who answer🙂

2slik

Back to top Go down

Mustang BBF swap K-member & long tube header combo's that have worked for you? Empty Re: Mustang BBF swap K-member & long tube header combo's that have worked for you?

Post  BOSS 429 April 9th 2021, 11:10 pm

Ive done over 20 leaving the stock k member in the car, have no idea how many with tube k member. but for either I use hooker headers, no issues

I use the P.A. RACING tube k mem, I like it the best
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Mustang BBF swap K-member & long tube header combo's that have worked for you? Empty Re: Mustang BBF swap K-member & long tube header combo's that have worked for you?

Post  Mark Miller April 10th 2021, 12:30 am

I have an 89 Mustang Stock 4 cylinder K-Member with some trimming done to it,i'm running Aluminum Cobra Jet Heads with Accufab Motor Mounts with MAC 2" Primary and 3 1/2" Collector HeadersBut MAC no longer makes the headers i'm using any longer!!FWIW i tried the Hooker Headers last year like BOSS429 said about and gave up and took them back!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 10th 2021, 11:37 am

2slik wrote:So I'm planning on installing my 521/C6 combo in my 99 Mustang GT and after spending several days reading old post's on the subject of k-members and headers I still don't feel I have a definitive answer. Some of the post's are so old that they don't even make those parts anymore! Anyhow, I thought I would make this post and try to get some more current info. If I was forced to make a decision today I would say I'd use an AJE K-member with 1/2" spacers, some D&D 2 1/8" slip fit headers and their custom thinner diameter steering shaft and hope for the best. Looking for a bolt in situation and not a bunch of fab work. Thank you in advance to all who answer🙂

A front motor plate to get rid of the side motor mounts and "M & D", (Mad Dog), headers.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 April 11th 2021, 2:31 am

Mark Miller wrote:I have an 89 Mustang Stock 4 cylinder K-Member with some trimming done to it,i'm running Aluminum Cobra Jet Heads with Accufab Motor Mounts with MAC 2" Primary and 3 1/2" Collector HeadersBut MAC no longer makes the headers i'm using any longer!!FWIW i tried the Hooker Headers last year like BOSS429 said about and gave up and took them back!!

===============================
HAVE to rem eng does not sit in the middle of these cars, I use the hookers for everyone I have done, sit the eng in, bolt the headers on, THEN MAKE your mounts. Or a motor plate, which works best anyway

the was a guy who did everything but buy the ehx system, bragged about how he mounted the eng in the center, I gave him the bad news but he didn't listen, he bought a few diff sets of headers and could not get any to fit
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 11th 2021, 2:24 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
2slik wrote:So I'm planning on installing my 521/C6 combo in my 99 Mustang GT and after spending several days reading old post's on the subject of k-members and headers I still don't feel I have a definitive answer. Some of the post's are so old that they don't even make those parts anymore! Anyhow, I thought I would make this post and try to get some more current info. If I was forced to make a decision today I would say I'd use an AJE K-member with 1/2" spacers, some D&D 2 1/8" slip fit headers and their custom thinner diameter steering shaft and hope for the best. Looking for a bolt in situation and not a bunch of fab work. Thank you in advance to all who answer🙂

A front motor plate to get rid of the side motor mounts and "M & D", (Mad Dog), headers.

Total Performance in Clinton Twp. , Michigan has a 1/4" thick, steel motor plate just for this application which mounts between the water pump and front cover.
It even has notches in the bottom to locate the engine which will fit right over the O.E.M. seam weldments on top the frame.
It offsets the engine slightly toward the passenger side.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 12th 2021, 11:13 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:I have an 89 Mustang Stock 4 cylinder K-Member with some trimming done to it,i'm running Aluminum Cobra Jet Heads with Accufab Motor Mounts with MAC 2" Primary and 3 1/2" Collector HeadersBut MAC no longer makes the headers i'm using any longer!!FWIW i tried the Hooker Headers last year like BOSS429 said about and gave up and took them back!!

===============================
HAVE to rem eng does not sit in the middle of these cars,  I use the hookers for everyone I have done, sit the eng in, bolt the headers on, THEN MAKE your mounts. Or a motor plate, which works best anyway

the was a guy who did everything but buy the ehx system, bragged about how he mounted the eng in the center, I gave him the bad news but he didn't listen, he bought a few diff sets of headers and could not get any to fit

I already had the engine in the car with the motor mounts i listed earlier and have been using the MAC headers since 1997 in a 88 T-Bird first and now the 89 Mustang i have had since 2003 and put the 460 in it in 2004!!The Hookers looked nowhere close to fitting without me using a engine hoist which i don't have!!I took the Hookers back had the MAC headers blasted and i painted them and had them back on in a couple hours with no engine hoist needed!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  The 1 April 15th 2021, 3:31 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:Ive done over 20 leaving the stock k member in the car, have no idea how many with tube k member. but for either I use hooker headers, no issues

In a new edge you left the stock k member,but did you use the stock 460 oil pan or swap oil pan?

The 1

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 April 16th 2021, 12:09 am

The 1 wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:Ive done over 20 leaving the stock k member in the car, have no idea how many with tube k member. but for either I use hooker headers, no issues

In a new edge you left the stock k member,but did you use the stock 460 oil pan or swap oil pan?

When we started installing 460/429s in these there were no aftermarket k members, MY buddy hooter got the very first one from TRZ ever made, and at the next FORD race he went to the TECH said NOPE,NOT LEGAL,lol . My good freind TOMMY who started TRZ RACE CARS still owned TRZ at that time. H built Hooters member,lol

Yes stock k mem, and stock rear sump van pan, then we made our own pans, later switched to a moroso pan.

The swap pan you speak of was the van pan later on when FORD started marketing them as such
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

The 1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  The 1 April 16th 2021, 10:35 pm

Thank you Sir !

The 1

Back to top Go down

Post  738drvr July 4th 2021, 2:50 pm

FYI, custom made is best. Most all need a little help mostly around the steering shaft.

Btw, RCI makes a good header BUT THEY DO NOT FIT. I had to have four tubes modified to make them fit. RCI insists they fit but I used their motor mounts and recommended k member and STILL had to modify the passenger side to go around the starter AND straighten out the collector. I may try some of their mid length headers but won’t buy their long tubes again.

They’re supposed to be the fox body experts. 🙄
738drvr
738drvr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller September 24th 2021, 2:42 am

TTT

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Coupe Devil October 29th 2021, 9:46 am

I used a Standard UPR K member but dropped the K member 2 inches with spacers. That helped with hood clearance and floorboard clearance around the headers with the Hooker long tubes BUT placed them WAY to close to the ground and I had no ground clearance so I went to front exit headers.
Coupe Devil
Coupe Devil

https://www.facebook.com/NCSpeedlab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down