BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine balance question

3 posters

Go down

Engine balance question Empty Engine balance question

Post  Mustang-junky September 15th 2021, 8:23 pm

I've got a 545 stroker that I assembled for my mustang about 8 years ago. From the beginning it has been bolted to a c-6. I've put it in my bronco and am not happy with the auto in this application. I'm going to swap in a NP-435 and have the swap kit from L&L. My question is about the balance of the motor. The flexplate was drilled in nine places, close together, not all the way through. The motor is internally balanced. I don't want to pull it apart to check the balance, the machinist that did the work has retired. Is there a way to check if the flexplate was drilled just to balance the flexplate and not to balance the motor? I was thinking that maybe the flexplate wasn't zero balanced when new and he corrected it first, verses taking some weight out of the flexplate to balance the motor. Thanks.

I'll see if I can get a picture of it here.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Engine balance question Empty Re: Engine balance question

Post  Mustang-junky September 15th 2021, 8:46 pm

Mustang-junky wrote:I've got a 545 stroker that I assembled for my mustang about 8 years ago.  From the beginning it has been bolted to a c-6.  I've put it in my bronco and am not happy with the auto in this application.  I'm going to swap in a NP-435 and have the swap kit from L&L.   My question is about the balance of the motor.  The flexplate was drilled in nine places, close together, not all the way through.  The motor is internally balanced.  I don't want to pull it apart to check the balance, the machinist that did the work has retired.   Is there a way to check if the flexplate was drilled just to balance the flexplate and not to balance the motor?  I was thinking that maybe the flexplate wasn't zero balanced when new and he corrected it first, verses taking some weight out of the flexplate to balance the motor.  Thanks.

I'll see if I can get a picture of it here.

Jess

Engine balance question Img_3210

Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr September 16th 2021, 1:25 pm

The balance shop can match a flywheel to the flexplate , just take them both.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal September 18th 2021, 7:50 pm

And never use that balance guy again.

Mark O'Neal

Mark Miller, gt350hr and pmrphil like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down