BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crane Cam Question

3 posters

Go down

Crane Cam Question Empty Crane Cam Question

Post  1EFF100 December 24th 2021, 4:51 pm

Anything wrong with this cam? Is there any reason you wouldn't run it in a 460 or even a stroker in a street/strip, fairly heavy vehicle?

Specs.: 282/292 advertised, 246/256 @.050 .563/.580 lift, 108 LSA

It's a solid flat tappet.

I ran this in a mild compression 466 years ago in my old '79 F100 and was pretty happy with the way it ran.
It seems like someone, I think on one of these forums, said it wasn't a very good design for the 429/460 engines.

What do you guys think?
1EFF100
1EFF100

Posts : 203
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 57
Location : Eureka, Ca

Back to top Go down

Crane Cam Question Empty Re: Crane Cam Question

Post  Dave De December 24th 2021, 4:59 pm

The duration is about 10 degrees too high for your application thinking that the compression is below 10 and it has exhaust manifolds and a converter stall around 2400.
Probably it would be perfect with a 4.5" stroke crank.
Dave De
Dave De

Posts : 702
Join date : 2011-05-27
Location : Highland, MI

1EFF100 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Crane Cam Question Empty Re: Crane Cam Question

Post  1EFF100 December 24th 2021, 5:08 pm

Dave De wrote:The duration is about 10 degrees too high for your application thinking that the compression is below 10 and it has exhaust manifolds and a converter stall around 2400.
Probably it would be perfect with a 4.5" stroke crank.


It definitely was below 10-1 compression but the truck did have headers and a 3000 stall. Now that I think about it, pretty sure I installed it 4 degrees advanced--or whatever the 3 way crank sprocket was equipped with.
1EFF100
1EFF100

Posts : 203
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 57
Location : Eureka, Ca

Back to top Go down

Crane Cam Question Empty Re: Crane Cam Question

Post  Dave De December 24th 2021, 6:13 pm

1EFF100 wrote:
Dave De wrote:The duration is about 10 degrees too high for your application thinking that the compression is below 10 and it has exhaust manifolds and a converter stall around 2400.
Probably it would be perfect with a 4.5" stroke crank.


It definitely was below 10-1 compression but the truck did have headers and a 3000 stall. Now that I think about it, pretty sure I installed it 4 degrees advanced--or whatever the 3 way crank sprocket was equipped with.

Probably best to degree that cam in with a wheel and set it at 106 ICL.
Dave De
Dave De

Posts : 702
Join date : 2011-05-27
Location : Highland, MI

1EFF100 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Crane Cam Question Empty Re: Crane Cam Question

Post  rmcomprandy December 25th 2021, 9:55 pm

1EFF100 wrote:Anything wrong with this cam? Is there any reason you wouldn't run it in a 460 or even a stroker in a street/strip, fairly heavy vehicle?

Specs.: 282/292 advertised, 246/256 @.050 .563/.580 lift, 108 LSA

It's a solid flat tappet.

I ran this in a mild compression 466 years ago in my old '79 F100 and was pretty happy with the way it ran.
It seems like someone, I think on one of these forums, said it wasn't a very good design for the 429/460 engines.

What do you guys think?

This is smaller than the size camshaft run in the Ford Racing B460 crate engine, M-6250-C460 hydraulic lifter cam.

Being that it is a solid lifter it would run very similar to the smaller M-6250-A443 hydraulic lifter camshaft used in the lesser E460 crate engine.  It is a 108 separation instead of a 112 separation so, it will idle rougher with less vacuum.

M-6007-B460 = 10.5/1 compression, single plane intake manifold, 535 horsepower
M-6007-E460 = 10.5/1 compression, dual-plane intake manifold, 486 horsepower

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5875
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller and 1EFF100 like this post

Back to top Go down

Crane Cam Question Empty Re: Crane Cam Question

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum