BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

5 posters

Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

Post  Jaybob January 5th 2022, 11:22 am

Been away for a long time.
Did a quick search (maybe not querying accurately) not finding what I'm looking for if already addressed.

I'm looking for info that defines how to adapt a std 429 style aftermarket intake to SCJ style aftermarket heads.
Manifold is Speedmaster Ford 429 460 Big Block Open Aluminum Intake Manifold Satin - MPN: PCE147.1124 / UPC: 840136508496 (fits BBF 429 460 Stock/OEM standard deck)
Making my own blower adapter plate
Blower is an 8V71
Heads I'm considering - Kaase SR-71 (Compatible with Super Cobra Jet intake manifolds)

It seems to me that someone would have sorted this at some point.  Manifold to Head spacers? China Rail Spacers? Who makes these if available?
Any help is appreciated.

FYI - I have no current plans to use/adapt an aftermarket inline blower style manifold for this project.

Thanks!

I should have added that I know the port hight is taller on SCJ by ~.400" and since this is a blown application, I was planning to "match" ports through the spacers.
However, if anyone cares to enlighten me that going from smaller to larger ports in a blown app is a bad idea, I'm all ears...

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Re: Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

Post  BBFTorino January 5th 2022, 10:48 pm

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you will doing much more work / modifications to make it work.
The intake will bolt on without spacers, but the port mismatch is significant, and you may have to add more aluminum to the top of the ports on the manifold, (by way of welding it up) and then resurface the sealing face.
And being that the intake is a Speedmaster (China), it is very likely that the bolt holes will not line up with the heads properly, or the ports themselves for that matter.

It's better to just bite the bullet, and purchase the correct blower intake manifold. Just sayin!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Re: Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

Post  Jaybob January 6th 2022, 8:43 am

BBFTorino wrote:I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you will doing much more work / modifications to make it work.
The intake will bolt on without spacers, but the port mismatch is significant, and you may have to add more aluminum to the top of the ports on the manifold, (by way of welding it up) and then resurface the sealing face.
And being that the intake is a Speedmaster (China), it is very likely that the bolt holes will not line up with the heads properly, or the  ports themselves for that matter.

It's better to just bite the bullet, and purchase the correct blower intake manifold. Just sayin!!

Thanks for the info. I had thought using spacers would allow me to "merge" the ports through the spacers.
You are right, the other issues are not worth the trouble.
However, I cannot find a "correct" blower manifold for a BBF & an 8V71.
If you have a source, please let me know.
Thanks

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 6th 2022, 9:55 am

Call up Dyer Blower Service or Any of the other reputable companies that sell blower kits, they offer manifolds.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Jaybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 11th 2022, 8:48 pm

I think the 8v71 bolt pattern different then the regular 871 but they make adapters? Alky Digger has a PC intake and adapter for a regular 871. I don't recall the number to see the port sizes but you could give them a shout and ask. FWIW, it costs almost the same as just buying a BDS intake.

Regarding you original question just run it the way it is or port match it if there is enough meat there
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Jaybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Speedmaster of none

Post  4 post January 21st 2022, 12:56 am

Just wanted to add some news concerning the Speedmaster intake you mentioned. I had originally ordered one and it came to my shop completely unuseable. I took all the dimensions that I needed from it and photographed it's flaws fairly thoroughly with gaskets in place. The ports were not just bad or misshapen, they went completely beyond the gasket in places! This still baffles me, but at least the boltholes were in the right places...

Photos are available if anyone wants to check out this brutality. Tried to post two of them here, but they must have been too embarrassed to show themselves.

Last edited by 4 post on January 21st 2022, 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No photos)

4 post

dfree383 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 21st 2022, 11:18 am

Procomp speedmaster strikes again
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

68galaxie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down