BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hydraulic Roller Lifters

5 posters

Go down

Hydraulic Roller Lifters Empty Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Post  lance flake March 22nd 2022, 12:24 pm

I have a customer wanting to a 460 with hyd. roller cam set up. What is the best lifter to use? I have ran almost every type lifter in SBF and SBC/LS engines with no problems. Never done a BBF with hyd. roller. Thanks

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic Roller Lifters Empty Re: Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2022, 5:52 pm

We did it in EMC and it worked fine
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 22nd 2022, 7:58 pm

lance flake wrote:I have a customer wanting to a 460 with hyd. roller cam set up. What is the best lifter to use? I have ran almost every type lifter in SBF and SBC/LS engines with no problems. Never done a BBF with hyd. roller. Thanks

The lifters from "Johnson" Specialty Engine Components, (not hi-lift) are the best I have seen and used.
Most people just won't pay their price.

A stud mounted rocker arm valve train will not live very long with hydraulic roller lifters however, a "shaft type" or "Bolt Down" valve train seems to work fine.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake March 22nd 2022, 8:45 pm

dfree383 wrote:We did it in EMC and it worked fine

What brand did you use?

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake March 22nd 2022, 8:47 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
lance flake wrote:I have a customer wanting to a 460 with hyd. roller cam set up. What is the best lifter to use? I have ran almost every type lifter in SBF and SBC/LS engines with no problems. Never done a BBF with hyd. roller. Thanks

The lifters from "Johnson" Specialty Engine Components, (not hi-lift) are the best I have seen and used.

A stud mounted rocker arm valve train will not live very long with hydraulic roller lifters however, a "shaft type" or "Bolt Down" valve train seems to work fine.

Thanks. What exactly will fail with a stud rocker? Going to use aluminum scj heads. This is mainly a street cruiser may see 5800-6000 on a very limited basis.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 23rd 2022, 12:17 pm

lance flake wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Thanks. What exactly will fail with a stud rocker? Going to use aluminum scj heads. This is mainly a street cruiser may see 5800-6000 on a very limited basis.

Usually the valve stem or valve guide or both because of the side wiping motion of the rocker arm across the tip.  
Limited run time engines won't matter.

rmcomprandy

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake March 23rd 2022, 2:08 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
lance flake wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Usually the valve stem or valve guide or both because of the side wiping motion of the rocker arm across the tip.  

Thanks Mr. Randy.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 2nd 2022, 8:09 am

lance flake wrote:
dfree383 wrote:We did it in EMC and it worked fine

What brand did you use?

Morel short travel
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  lvhdude May 3rd 2022, 5:23 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
lance flake wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Why would a stud mounted rocker wear any different on the valve tip or guide in a Hyd roller cam application than in a Hyd flat tappet engine?

lvhdude

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 3rd 2022, 10:12 am

lvhdude wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
lance flake wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Why would a stud mounted rocker wear any different on the valve tip or guide in a Hyd roller cam application than in a Hyd flat tappet engine?

Pushrod angularity and rocker arm motion at the valve tip.
As I said, they will work OK if it is not a high mileage street engine.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 4th 2022, 8:26 am

High mileage? You mean 250k factory stuff? Or 10k race engine?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 4th 2022, 12:38 pm

dfree383 wrote:High mileage? You mean 250k factory stuff? Or 10k race engine?

The guides and/or valve stems will usually show a lot of wear after about 25,000 street miles or at least a few years as a drag race only engine.

rmcomprandy

dfree383 and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 May 15th 2022, 5:16 pm

Install a solid roller, the engine will thank you
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

J.Toney and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down