BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stroker size

+5
BBFTorino
rmcomprandy
dfree383
Dave De
nedceifus
9 posters

Go down

Stroker size Empty Stroker size

Post  nedceifus April 4th 2022, 10:23 pm

Stroker size 801d3910What stroker sizes are better for different applications? I’m just getting my 460 together but really need to upgrade to a forged piston, I’m going to put some NOS to it next summer. Seems like if I’m going to invest in a good set of pistons I may as well just buy a stroker rotating assembly. This is going in a 64 Ford. Street/Strip, heavy on the strip. Victor, 1000cfm 4150, 700 lift solid roller, SCJ heads, pump gas, 200 shot.  I want to be able to beat the piss out if it.
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Stroker size Empty Re: Stroker size

Post  Dave De April 5th 2022, 10:58 pm

If its a factory block... going 4.3" stroke is friendly. D9TE blocks have longer bores where they are the best for using 4.5" stroke but even with them I think 4.3" is the practical choice for a street/strip package.
Dave De
Dave De

Gregaust, Mark Miller and nedceifus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 7th 2022, 6:27 am

Bigger the stroke the more torque and power it will make.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

QtrWarrior and nedceifus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 7th 2022, 10:11 am

Dave De wrote:If its a factory block... going 4.3" stroke is friendly. D9TE blocks have longer bores where they are the best for using 4.5" stroke but even with them I think 4.3" is the practical choice for a street/strip package.

I agree, especially when longevity of ring life is expected.
A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod or a 4.5 stroke with a 6.7" rod is marginal for decent ring life even in a D9 block..
Keep the piston in the bore not out of the bottom.

If it is a high maintenance racing engine then it probably won't matter.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Gregaust, Mark Miller and nedceifus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino April 8th 2022, 1:57 am

The biggest that you can afford.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 April 8th 2022, 9:50 am

If you’re ‘64 is a “full figured Gal” she’s gonna be weighing in at 4K plus (unless she’s been to fat camp) so lots of torque should be high on the priority list. A 521 can make the same power as a 545 it will just take a few more RPM’s to do it. Personally I wouldn’t be afraid of using either one but I’d definitely spring for all forged internals.

wickettoby1

Mark Miller and nedceifus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxnoogle August 8th 2022, 2:53 am

rmcomprandy wrote:

A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod

Dont mean to hijack, but thats a thing?  Every 521 ive been able to find is a 6.7 or 6.8 rod with 2.2 journals, would assume the 4.3 crank would need to use 2.5 journals for the 6.605 rods..?[/quote]

Last edited by Doxnoogle on August 8th 2022, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doxnoogle

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De August 8th 2022, 2:59 pm

Doxnoogle wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
Dave De wrote:

Dont mean to hijack, but thats a thing?  Every 521 ive been able to find is a 6.7 or 6.8 rod with 2.2 journals, would assume the 4.3 crank would need to use 2.5 journals for the 6.605 rods..?
Mr. Doxnoodle altered that thread to make it look like I said "A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod" I did not. That is ridiculous.

If anyone thought that I was suggesting 6.6 rods I was not. I agree that 6.7 or 6.8 rods must be used with a 2.2 rod journal. If factory blocks are used a 6.8 rod is best but a 6.7 rod will be okay with a D9 block. Street use is more important to have the pin higher in the bore thus a 6.8 rod is ideal.

Going further to make a point. The weakest link in a BBF is the rods. If you are are looking for more power on a build and who isnt. Using a 4.3 or 4.5 or 4.6 crank with 6.7 or 6.8 BBC rods with a 2.20 crank pin and .990 piston pin is the only way to roll. If there is something better let me know.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxnoogle August 8th 2022, 9:01 pm

Dave De wrote:
Doxnoogle wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
Dave De wrote:

Dont mean to hijack, but thats a thing?  Every 521 ive been able to find is a 6.7 or 6.8 rod with 2.2 journals, would assume the 4.3 crank would need to use 2.5 journals for the 6.605 rods..?
Mr. Doxnoodle altered that thread to make it look like I said "A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod" I did not. That is ridiculous.  

If anyone thought that I was suggesting 6.6 rods I was not. I agree that 6.7 or 6.8 rods must be used with a 2.2 rod journal. If factory blocks are used a 6.8 rod is best but a 6.7 rod will be okay with a D9 block. Street use is more important to have the pin higher in the bore thus a 6.8 rod is ideal.

Going further to make a point. The weakest link in a BBF is the rods. If you are are looking for more power on a build and who isnt. Using a 4.3 or 4.5 or 4.6 crank with 6.7 or 6.8 BBC rods with a 2.20 crank pin and .990 piston pin is the only way to roll. If there is something better let me know.

Wtf are you talking about?  Three posts up from mine rmcomprandy mentioned using a 6.605 rod with a 4.3" stroke.  Forgive me that i missed one of the quote inserts.  Jesus you guys next level touchy around here, sweet burn spelling my name wrong, do i have to throw a tantrum now to fit in?

Doxnoogle

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De August 8th 2022, 9:35 pm

Hey Doxnoogle,
I accept your apology for scrambling that quote even though you say that you missed something. When you take my quote and alter it down to a string that doesn't make sense "A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod" it makes me look like a fool. It certainly looked intentional but if it wasn't I'll take your word for it. Please be careful. And yes I intentionally said noodle but wont do it again going forward.
Carry on,
Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 8th 2022, 11:02 pm

Doxnoogle wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

[/quote]

Ford Racing Sold a Stroker  Kit back in 2002 or so with a 4.3 stroke Crank and with the 6.605 rods!!

Mark Miller

QtrWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxnoogle Yesterday at 9:12 am

Dave De wrote:Hey Doxnoogle,
I accept your apology for scrambling that quote even though you say that you missed something. When you take my quote and alter it down to a string that doesn't make sense  "A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod" it makes me look like a fool. It certainly looked intentional but if it wasn't I'll take your word for it. Please be careful. And yes I intentionally said noodle but wont do it again going forward.
Carry on,
Dave

Dude, its not even your quote....

Mark Miller wrote:
Doxnoogle wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Ford Racing Sold a Stroker  Kit back in 2002 or so with a 4.3 stroke Crank and with the 6.605 rods!!
 Ok, so that was the old FRRP 514 kit that used stock length rods.  Ive heard that someone bought all the leftover cranks when ford switched to the aftermarket rod for the crate.  Anyone know the contact?

Doxnoogle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans Yesterday at 11:53 am

Doxnoogle wrote:
Dave De wrote:Hey Doxnoogle,
I accept your apology for scrambling that quote even though you say that you missed something. When you take my quote and alter it down to a string that doesn't make sense  "A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod" it makes me look like a fool. It certainly looked intentional but if it wasn't I'll take your word for it. Please be careful. And yes I intentionally said noodle but wont do it again going forward.
Carry on,
Dave

Dude, its not even your quote....

Mark Miller wrote:
Doxnoogle wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

I do believe that Scat was the source of the 2.5" journal 4.30" cranks......I'd contact them.

Ok, so that was the old FRRP 514 kit that used stock length rods.  Ive heard that someone bought all the leftover cranks when ford switched to the aftermarket rod for the crate.  Anyone know the contact?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans Yesterday at 11:54 am

I do believe that Scat was the source of the 2.5" journal 4.30" cranks......I'd contact them.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Mark Miller and Doxnoogle like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down