BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tunnel ram street use

+2
Curt
EverySparePenny
6 posters

Go down

Tunnel ram street use Empty Tunnel ram street use

Post  EverySparePenny June 4th 2022, 9:13 pm

I am working to put together a simple, garage shelf parts, mostly stock, built 460 for a 2wd street truck. Shooting for no more than 10:1 compression, little less if at all possible. Holley fuel injection of some nature on top. Truck will probably weigh around 5500 lbs maybe, 3.70 gear, 5 or 6 speed manual transmission. Would like to take it on something like Power Tour, drive it to work now and then or take it out for a weekend flogging at a drag strip or autocross event.

I would also like the engine to appear obscene. I have been toying with the idea of an old Offy or Weiand Tunnel ram.

I understand these are likely terrible options in this application but it's an appearance I look to achieve. That said I would like to pick the better of the wrong decision if at all possible.

Is one brand better than the other? Single carb vs. dual? I'll likely have someone spec and grind a cam for me

EverySparePenny

Back to top Go down

Tunnel ram street use Empty Re: Tunnel ram street use

Post  Curt June 4th 2022, 11:24 pm

I like the idea of the Holley fuel injection. On the other hand, if you could find them, a couple of 660 center squirters with progressive linkage would be cool. Running off the front only could help you on the bottom end, then open up the second one when you get on it.

Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 5th 2022, 10:34 am

EverySparePenny wrote:I am working to put together a simple, garage shelf parts, mostly stock, built 460 for a 2wd street truck. Shooting for no more than 10:1 compression, little less if at all possible. Holley fuel injection of some nature on top. Truck will probably weigh around 5500 lbs maybe, 3.70 gear, 5 or 6 speed manual transmission. Would like to take it on something like Power Tour, drive it to work now and then or take it out for a weekend flogging at a drag strip or autocross event.

I would also like the engine to appear obscene. I have been toying with the idea of an old Offy or Weiand Tunnel ram.

I understand these are likely terrible options in this application but it's an appearance I look to achieve. That said I would like to pick the better of the wrong decision if at all possible.

Is one brand better  than the other? Single carb vs. dual? I'll likely have someone spec and grind a cam for me

Are you talking about the Holley "Anteater" injection manifold top fitted to a tunnel ram...?
I would have something sheet-metal made for it though any tunnel ram should be adaptable.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EverySparePenny June 5th 2022, 10:40 am

Are you talking about the Holley "Anteater" injection manifold top fitted to a tunnel ram...?
I would have something sheet-metal made for it though any tunnel ram should be adaptable.
[/quote]

No, looking to use like a Holley terminator kit I think. Electronic throttle body type injection that sets right down on the standard carburetor pad.

EverySparePenny

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 27th 2022, 2:34 am

Curt wrote:I like the idea of the Holley fuel injection. On the other hand, if you could find them, a couple of 660 center squirters with progressive linkage would be cool. Running off the front only could help you on the bottom end, then open up the second one when you get on it.

If you go this route and happen to come across a nice used set of 660's, Check the Throttle arm Linkage for Mods from stock. The List # 4224 660cfm is likely the most modded throttle linkage in Holley history.

The progressive exterior linkage to the carburetors can be good for cruise mileage on 660's but, on the 660 center squirters you may tip the secondary's depending on setup and then the mileage suffers.

They make some Holley look alike FI units that look pretty close to the real thing also, if you want the look with the FI tuning ease.

The other FI units recomended by the ones here are the best bet if you need tuning help as they are in much greater use and under standing as the Pro's Like them and are good at working with them on Dyno's.

Mileage with 660's even on a BBF can get worse than it already is and if E-15, or other fuels are mandated. Have fun with the carbs, EFI will be simple to tune.

E-15 if not jetted up can cause damage to your Engine, with even NA with (Lean Conditions)over any prolonged highway driving. Even the new car asssociations are complaining.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 2nd 2022, 6:54 pm

660’s need substantial mods for street driving, just stick with some conventional 750 double pumps style carbs.

Yes tunnel rams can work great on the street
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man August 3rd 2022, 7:59 pm

I've had success with Holley 600/750 vacuum secondary on dual carb set ups (both tunnel rams/dual planes) and currently running a pair of each. I put 1000's of daily driver miles on my cars every summer. Since your build is mild and going to see a bunch of street miles,I'd consider them. Cheap,easy to tune,forgiving,street drive well,actually get some gas mileage,kinda,and they will make power. Getting a tunnel ram to run at WOT is not so tough,getting it to idle around under 2000rpms all day without being a PIA is a bit trickier. A couple 600's would probably gurgle around nicely and still get as much punch as you'd expect from what you're building. Ford ran them on their big dogs back in the day so they do work.
the tree man
the tree man

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 6th 2022, 11:27 am

EverySparePenny wrote:I am working to put together a simple, garage shelf parts, mostly stock, built 460 for a 2wd street truck. Shooting for no more than 10:1 compression, little less if at all possible. Holley fuel injection of some nature on top. Truck will probably weigh around 5500 lbs maybe, 3.70 gear, 5 or 6 speed manual transmission. Would like to take it on something like Power Tour, drive it to work now and then or take it out for a weekend flogging at a drag strip or autocross event.

Is one brand better  than the other? Single carb vs. dual? I'll likely have someone spec and grind a cam for me

I forgot to mention, go with the Weiand. Smaller port volume. Better for mild engines and cruising. The Offy was for back in the day when guys ran border line race engines with very high compression all the time on the street as high octane gas was cheap and plentiful as where CJ/SCJ heads and engines.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  EverySparePenny August 26th 2022, 10:18 am

Thanks for the responses guys!

I did have an Offy show up in my garage, so I guess that's what I'll be using.

I'm still planning to use a Holley FI setup of some sort of this deal. Engine work has slowed though because, there is a Failane trying to walk into my life that I would much rather treat this combination with.

EverySparePenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down