BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lunati cam info

3 posters

Go down

Lunati cam info Empty Lunati cam info

Post  460FOXTECH June 27th 2023, 4:16 pm

Hi. I know this is a long shot but don't hurt to ask! Does anyone have an older Lunati catalog or a cam card that may have the specs for this #41699 cam! It is an older 429-460 cam?  It's still NEW in the box with the paperwork etc , but NO cam card enclosed! I just thought it may be a good option for someone to use as it predates the current crappy cams on the market today! TIA Bob

460FOXTECH

http://www.ddautospec.com

Back to top Go down

Lunati cam info Empty Re: Lunati cam info

Post  rmcomprandy June 27th 2023, 8:47 pm

460FOXTECH wrote:Hi. I know this is a long shot but don't hurt to ask! Does anyone have an older Lunati catalog or a cam card that may have the specs for this #41699 cam! It is an older 429-460 cam?  It's still NEW in the box with the paperwork etc , but NO cam card enclosed! I just thought it may be a good option for someone to use as it predates the current crappy cams on the market today! TIA Bob

You are not gonna find that in any catalog ... the 41 first numbers tells it is a solid flat tappet ... the middle number tells the core grade ... last numbers being 99 says it is a custom grind.
Does that paperwork show the lobe profile numbers ...?

Have it doctored or put it in a block and measure it.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  460FOXTECH June 27th 2023, 9:01 pm

Thank for the info! I believe it was purchased when Joe was still involved! it does have SPZ2-269-269  108  also M8DT 6248 on the box end flap. Maybe 269 @.050" and 108 l/s Probably not worth the effort to identify i  it is only a flat tappet cam. Just thought that with all the crap cams & cores out there now, it may have been a better option for someone as it predated the garbage cores.
thanks Bob

You are not gonna find that in any catalog ... the 41 first numbers tells it is a solid flat tappet ... the middle number tells the core grade ... last numbers being 99 says it is a custom grind.

Have it doctored or put it in a block and measure it.[/quote]

460FOXTECH

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 June 27th 2023, 9:06 pm

I lucked into a partial ID by pure accident.

It a Custom Solid Flat Tappet. Actual page 174 below link.

https://www.jegs.com/VendorInfo/Lunati/images/lunati-catalog.pdf

Measure the with and height of both a Intake and Exhaust Lobe. Subtract the measurement of each one. That will give you the actual Lobe Lift.

Multiply them by 1.73 for valve lift.

Are there any other numbers on the cam? If so you can look up the lobes in the above link. Starting on page 175.

You'll posted before I hit enter, and saw the other numbers.

If the 269/269 is the .050" Duration, the Only 269 Lobe I see listed is M269 on pg.182.

The Lobe Charts only go up to 1.7 Rocker Ratio, if you go to Measure the Actual Lobes.

Last edited by supervel45 on June 27th 2023, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

supervel45

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 27th 2023, 9:28 pm

460FOXTECH wrote:Thank for the info! I believe it was purchased when Joe was still involved! it does have SPZ2-269-269  108  also M8DT 6248 on the box end flap. Maybe 269 @.050" and 108 l/s Probably not worth the effort to identify i  it is only a flat tappet cam. Just thought that with all the crap cams & cores out there now, it may have been a better option for someone as it predated the garbage cores.  
thanks Bob

[/quote]

I sold a lot of Lunati camshafts and still do. So, I have every Lunati catalog all the way back to 1988.
SPZ2 was Joe's original catalog numerical listing for a 429/460 solid flat tappet camshaft; then the average seat duration of both lobes; then the separation. That 269-269 has both lobes listed so, it seems to be pretty small duration, like a street rod type camshaft.
A great core for regrinding to a race type cam, if it is that... GOOD cores have gotten REALLY expensive these days

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  460FOXTECH June 27th 2023, 10:11 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
460FOXTECH wrote:Thank for the info! I believe it was purchased when Joe was still involved! it does have SPZ2-269-269  108  also M8DT 6248 on the box end flap. Maybe 269 @.050" and 108 l/s Probably not worth the effort to identify i  it is only a flat tappet cam. Just thought that with all the crap cams & cores out there now, it may have been a better option for someone as it predated the garbage cores.  
thanks Bob

I sold a lot of Lunati camshafts and still do. So, I have every Lunati catalog all the way back to 1988.
SPZ2 was Joe's original catalog numerical listing for a 429/460 solid flat tappet camshaft; then the average seat duration of both lobes; then the separation. That 269-269 has both lobes listed so, it seems to be pretty small duration, like a street rod type camshaft.
A great core for regrinding to a race type cam, if it is that... GOOD cores have gotten REALLY expensive these days[/quote]

Yeah, I know the core deal all too well! That was the only reason I dug into this cam info/specs. Hard to believe it would be worth it to regrind a flat tappet! Did that many times with a roller but flat tappets were throw aways!

460FOXTECH

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 June 27th 2023, 10:43 pm

Can You Put the Actual Lobe Lift?

The smallest mechanical lobe in the newer Lunati catalogs is 225 at .050" with 256 at .020". All the others in the high 260's are 230's and up.

Might me a pretty nice cam just the way that it is, if someone is not stuck on dual patterns, and just wants a nice sounding cruiser.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 28th 2023, 11:36 am

460FOXTECH wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

A great core for regrinding to a race type cam, if it is that... GOOD cores have gotten REALLY expensive these days

Yeah, I know the core deal all too well! That was the only reason I dug into this cam info/specs. Hard to believe it would be worth it to regrind a flat tappet! Did that many times with a roller but flat tappets were throw aways!

Send it my way, I'll pay the shipping ... lets trade Messages and I'll send you a check for the shipping charges and my address.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down