BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intake and camshaft suggestion

+2
supervel45
rollercam1
6 posters

Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  rollercam1 October 21st 2023, 4:57 pm

Looking for a camshaft and intake suggestion gentlemen. The setup is a mostly street with and occasional trip to the strip. 67' F100, 3.50 rear gear, C-6 transmission. 460, stock bore and stroke. 9.8:1 compression. Super Cobra Jet Cylinder Heads M-6049-SCJA, Harland sharp rocker arms. I have 3 different carbs to try, Pro Systems 1000cfm 4150, ProSystems 830 cfm 4150, and a regular Holley 850 4150.
I am looking at the following camshafts:
#1 - Lunati Voodoo - Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 227/233 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .552/.564 ;LSA/ICL: 110/106
#2 - Lunati Voodoo - Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 276/284; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 233/241; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .564/.582; LSA/ICL: 110/106
#3 - Comp Cams - XE274H Advertised Duration (Int/Exh) 274/286 Duration at .050 (Int/Exh): 230/236; Gros Valve Lift (Int/Exh):.562/.565; Lobe Sep: 110

The intake's are the RPM air gap, Performer RPM, Victor, Weiand stealth, 8012 or the 8021 Cobra jet port.

I appreciate any help and suggestions!
rollercam1
rollercam1

Posts : 59
Join date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  supervel45 October 21st 2023, 8:41 pm

rollercam1 wrote:Looking for a camshaft and intake suggestion gentlemen. The setup is a mostly street with and occasional trip to the strip.  67' F100, 3.50 rear gear, C-6 transmission. 460, stock bore and stroke. 9.8:1 compression. Super Cobra Jet Cylinder Heads M-6049-SCJA, Harland sharp rocker arms. I have 3 different carbs to try, Pro Systems 1000cfm 4150, ProSystems 830 cfm 4150, and a regular Holley 850 4150.
I am looking at the following camshafts:
#1 - Lunati Voodoo - Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 227/233 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .552/.564 ;LSA/ICL: 110/106
#2 - Lunati Voodoo - Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 276/284; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 233/241; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .564/.582; LSA/ICL: 110/106
#3 - Comp Cams - XE274H Advertised Duration (Int/Exh) 274/286  Duration at .050 (Int/Exh): 230/236; Gros Valve Lift (Int/Exh):.562/.565; Lobe Sep: 110

The intake's are the RPM air gap,  Performer RPM, Victor, Weiand stealth, 8012 or the 8021 Cobra jet port.

I appreciate any help and suggestions!


I would skip the 830 Carburetor. It was a Compromise Rule Carb. and basiclly a 850 Body with a 750 Base Plate.

The First Good Holley 950's where a 750 Body with a 850 Base Plate that where about 830 to a little more actual CFM. They got Called Out On it and had to Start Making Real 950's after awhile.

So 850 or the 1,000 for the Street. Which ever gets the best Mileage on the Street for Me, and the one with the Smallest E/T Number at the Track. Unless it's Grudge Street that Is. Wink

Cam #2 Because Fuck Comp and the First Lunati Seems Like a Waste for SCJ's. #2 is OK but 10 Degree's More  Duration would be Nice Even 20. You Have the Compression for it.

Intake. Stealth 8021 for Street Manners. If More Track, Race Street Victor and a 1050 2 Circuit Dominator.

Nice Parts and Sounds Like a Real Nice Ride will Come out of Them. Cool Very Happy

PS: I don't even "Think/Ass/ume" a 8012 will Seal on SCJ's

supervel45

Posts : 4469
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  supervel45 October 22nd 2023, 12:09 am

On Second Thought the 8012 is the same casting as the 8021 but, No Reason to run stock port intake on CJ/SCJ/A Heads. I don't know on all of the Aftermarket 429/460 Intakes if it is the same way as the Weiand though.

supervel45

Posts : 4469
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  rollercam1 October 22nd 2023, 1:44 pm

Thank you for the input! I know the Air Gap will fit the SCJ/ A heads as I have a 503 with that head/intake combo now. Another 521 with a Victor combo, SCJ B head. Maybe I will try the SCJ stealth on this 460 combo. Would you have a different camshaft than what I was looking at as a suggestion?
rollercam1
rollercam1

Posts : 59
Join date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  rmcomprandy October 22nd 2023, 7:48 pm

rollercam1 wrote:Looking for a camshaft and intake suggestion gentlemen. The setup is a mostly street with and occasional trip to the strip.  67' F100, 3.50 rear gear, C-6 transmission. 460, stock bore and stroke. 9.8:1 compression. Super Cobra Jet Cylinder Heads M-6049-SCJA, Harland sharp rocker arms. I have 3 different carbs to try, Pro Systems 1000cfm 4150, ProSystems 830 cfm 4150, and a regular Holley 850 4150.
I am looking at the following camshafts:
#1 - Lunati Voodoo - Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 227/233 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .552/.564 ;LSA/ICL: 110/106
#2 - Lunati Voodoo - Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 276/284; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 233/241; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .564/.582; LSA/ICL: 110/106
#3 - Comp Cams - XE274H Advertised Duration (Int/Exh) 274/286  Duration at .050 (Int/Exh): 230/236; Gros Valve Lift (Int/Exh):.562/.565; Lobe Sep: 110

The intake's are the RPM air gap,  Performer RPM, Victor, Weiand stealth, 8012 or the 8021 Cobra jet port.

I appreciate any help and suggestions!

You are correct to presume that the scalloped intake flange of the 8012 will not seal on a head with a Cobra Jet size port however, I personally would use an Edelbrock "Torquer II" out of the box or with the Numbers 1 - 3 - 6 - 8 ports matched to the cylinder head intake port. (Matching all port runners simply loses torque without adding horsepower).
In my opinion, the #2 Lunati would be the best choice of the three cams but, I would actually use a solid roller camshaft and lifter instead, like the Lunati #40340511 / 516A1.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 6119
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  supervel45 October 23rd 2023, 6:23 pm

rollercam1 wrote:Thank you for the input! I know the Air Gap will fit the SCJ/ A heads as I have a 503 with that head/intake combo now. Another 521 with a Victor combo, SCJ B head. Maybe I will try the SCJ stealth on this 460 combo. Would you have a different camshaft than what I was looking at as a suggestion?

If you mean do I have one for sale. No, Not Really, I am Hording Mine. Also the Biggish Mechanical SFT I Have is a Little Much for your Described Deal in my Opinion. It would be More Track Oriented but would Work Fair. It's a CompCams 294B8 on a 108LSA and 255/265 or so at .050".

Keep in Mind with a SFT you Loose some Duration and Lift with Lash When Comparing to a HFT.


What Randy said on the Lunati SFT or a HFT that is Close.

With a HFT you will not Find as Much Lift as the one he listed. Maybe in a Custom if Anybody Had a Core?

https://cnc-motorsports.com/40340511-lunati-street-strip-solid-roller-camshaft-ford-429-460.html

If it's more of a Street Cruiser Your #2 Lunati is Nice. Cool

supervel45

Posts : 4469
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  Mark Miller October 23rd 2023, 11:56 pm

supervel45 wrote:
rollercam1 wrote:Thank you for the input! I know the Air Gap will fit the SCJ/ A heads as I have a 503 with that head/intake combo now. Another 521 with a Victor combo, SCJ B head. Maybe I will try the SCJ stealth on this 460 combo. Would you have a different camshaft than what I was looking at as a suggestion?

If you mean do I have one for sale. No, Not Really, I am Hording Mine. Also the Biggish Mechanical SFT I Have is a Little Much for your Described Deal in my Opinion. It would be More Track Oriented but would Work Fair. It's a CompCams 294B8 on a 108LSA and 255/265 or so at .050".

Keep in Mind with a SFT you Loose some Duration and Lift with Lash When Comparing to a HFT.


What Randy said on the Lunati SFT or a HFT that is Close.

With a HFT you will not Find as Much Lift as the one he listed. Maybe in a Custom if Anybody Had a Core?

https://cnc-motorsports.com/40340511-lunati-street-strip-solid-roller-camshaft-ford-429-460.html

If it's more of a Street Cruiser Your #2 Lunati is Nice. Cool

Is that Comp Cam you're talking about the one with .589-.615 Lift if so i have used it and another guy i know has used it and it worked pretty well for both of us him better than me!!

Mark Miller

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  supervel45 October 24th 2023, 12:14 am

^ Yes it Is. It's the one Blake liked back awhile when he was running Less Radical "Stuff" . Mine Came from 5Point's as Randy cut him one a Little Better.

In a Heavy Truck With Mild Compression it's a Tad Bigger then I want, If I Decide to Tow with It.

The 230/230 will do Dual Duty Fine in a 472 C6 for that and my Limited Use Short Distance Towing Lightish Car's ect. My 224/224 108 .542/.542 429 Pulled Like a Non Turbo Diesel, Only 40 MPH or More, Faster Sometimes Evil or Very Mad cherry

supervel45

Posts : 4469
Join date : 2013-09-04

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  rollercam1 October 24th 2023, 12:26 pm

Thank you all for the help, I think I am going to try the Weiand Stealth SCJ intake on this combo. Pretty sure a hydraulic flat tappet will be the first choice as this will be 90% street. Again, thanks for all the input!
rollercam1
rollercam1

Posts : 59
Join date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  zbob October 24th 2023, 6:13 pm

i happen to have the first cam you selected sitting on a torkerII intake along with a aed 1050. 3.55 gears but with a shorter tire than you can run in your pick up. just so you know it went slower with a rpm intake and a 850.
...heads are the eldebrock rpms. also have 2 one inch spacers under the 1050 carb. one open and one 4 holer.
...just mentioning what worked out for me.

zbob

Posts : 269
Join date : 2009-08-17
Age : 69
Location : mn

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  Dave De October 24th 2023, 7:52 pm

I like cam #2 as well. I like a Victor for the cool factor but it will have less low end torque. Since you've got the height under the hood go for it. A 3,000 stall should be best.
Dave De
Dave De

Posts : 791
Join date : 2011-05-27
Location : Highland, MI

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  supervel45 October 24th 2023, 9:26 pm

Dave De wrote:I like cam #2 as well. I like a Victor for the cool factor but it will have less low end torque. Since you've got the height under the hood go for it. A 3,000 stall should be best.


^ From my experience with my 429 and 2,200 and 2,800 convertors I believe he may get away with a tad less stall with a 460 with more cubes and compression then my 429 with the little bigger camshaft then I had. Like 2,600 to 2,800. 3,000 would work well but, I prefered the tighter convertor with 3.50 gears and 33 inch tires as it seemed crisper for normal driving. At the Track with Slicks, it will be a Slight Handicap Though.

supervel45

Posts : 4469
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  rmcomprandy October 25th 2023, 10:45 am

rollercam1 wrote:Thank you all for the help, I think I am going to try the Weiand Stealth SCJ intake on this combo. Pretty sure a hydraulic flat tappet will be the first choice as this will be 90% street. Again, thanks for all the input!

I didn't realize this was going to be a high mileage cruiser.
In that case, I would use a cam with a little milder flank rates. The Lunati 10340504 / 31604 -- it is right in the middle of those two Lunati cams you listed.
I have used this grind several times with great results.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 6119
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Intake and camshaft suggestion Empty Re: Intake and camshaft suggestion

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum