BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spark plug selection

4 posters

Go down

Spark plug selection Empty Spark plug selection

Post  nedceifus October 26th 2023, 10:07 am

What, where, when & why? I kind of get it. But I really don’t. Is the point to run as hot of plug for your combo as you can without burning them up? How do you know where to start? How do you know if you need to make a change? I imagine timing, fuel type, power adders all come into play. I’m about ready yo fire my little 466. Solid roller, 10.5, 91 octane. I have 
NGK Iridium IX BKR7EIX plugs now. Can’t remember why I chose those.

Also, breaking in with 10/30 & a Premium Carquest oil filter. The parts store guys swear that they are made by Wix. After break in changing oil to 5-30 Lucas Racing oil & a Wix Racing 51515R. Sound about right?
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Spark plug selection Empty Re: Spark plug selection

Post  supervel45 October 26th 2023, 10:31 am

nedceifus wrote:What, where, when & why? I kind of get it. But I really don’t. Is the point to run as hot of plug for your combo as you can without burning them up? How do you know where to start? How do you know if you need to make a change? I imagine timing, fuel type, power adders all come into play. I’m about ready yo fire my little 466. Solid roller, 10.5, 91 octane. I have 

Also, breaking in with 10/30 & a Premium Carquest oil filter. The parts store guys swear that they are made by Wix. After break in changing oil to 5-30 Lucas Racing oil & a Wix Racing 51515R. Sound about right?

What Plugs did Lem recommend?

I would start with them or whatever Ford suggests for Their SCJ Heads.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6049-SCJ.PDF

Looks Like AGSP32C From Their PDF on Them.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 October 26th 2023, 4:33 pm

I cant answer all your questions but they taught us in school to run the hottest plug you can for longevity. This is why manufacturers always tend to spec a pretty hot plug. In other words the hotter a plug runs the more it will self clean and burn off deposits. This doesnt apply as much to race cars. Youre more concerned with detonation than how long the plug lasts.

stanger68

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 26th 2023, 11:38 pm

Google Sparkplug Heat Range Conversion Reference Charts "Brands"

Below is the First one I found.

And what Stanger Said.

https://www.ngk.com/heat-range-conversion-chart-2

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 27th 2023, 10:00 am

nedceifus wrote:What, where, when & why? I kind of get it. But I really don’t. Is the point to run as hot of plug for your combo as you can without burning them up? How do you know where to start? How do you know if you need to make a change? I imagine timing, fuel type, power adders all come into play. I’m about ready yo fire my little 466. Solid roller, 10.5, 91 octane. I have 

It sounds like you have the correct plug heat range right now. In NGK a 6 is one step hotter and and 8 is one step colder.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down