BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

+2
Fox460C6
BigBlockRanger
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 1st 2024, 1:04 pm

Fox460C6 wrote:Well, it wouldn’t let me send a new offer unfortunately. I was hoping it was automated, but they must be waiting on you. LOL I goofed around and put $85.
It looks like Amazon has the same kit for $128. The newer version. Any difference between the old vs new kit?

I Don't Know.

The Summit Picture Shows the CJ Intake and Exhaust Gaskets as Well as The Standard Port Ones. It's $128.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6003-a429

The Kit at LevitTown Ford Parts Only Seems to Show One Set of Intake and Exhaust Gaskets For $120.86.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-6003-a429.html

I Got My Last Kit in 2020 and it Had All Four. Really Not Sure What's Up.

I Would Suspect the Fleebay Kit is an Older One Though. It Came to About $122 Ttl., To my Door by My Calc.'s, so It's Not a Good of a Deal as I Thought. Summit Show's Their's at 139 on Fllebay is why it was Appealing at First.

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Fox460C6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 1st 2024, 3:58 pm

Yeah it’s about the same for me. You could get a kit close to the same price and it be a newer one. I threw out 90 on the offer as they sent me 93.50.
Probably not a major need at this time, like a set of heads and camshaft. Smile

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 1st 2024, 9:39 pm

Fox460C6 wrote:Yeah it’s about the same for me. You could get a kit close to the same price and it be a newer one. I threw out 90 on the offer as they sent me 93.50.
Probably not a major need at this time, like a set of heads and camshaft. Smile

^ For what it's worth, the seller said he would double box the gasket set,  like they did my last one, so they don't get damaged in shipping.

Get them if you want them. I need some other stuff worse than gaskets myself.

If I see any decent cams that are not a stupid 280-320 price I'll pass them on. The Lunati 705 guy is MIA, It's the best one I have seen lately for a Performance HFT, NOS at a fair price.

The Edelbrock Performer RPM (234/244/108/.560"ish/580"ish) would be nice for your Deal, But, The Cam/Lifter Kits are 400+ now and No Cam Onlys to be had.

Here's The CompCams Verson of The Eddie RPM on a 111 LSA, It's about like the Old Ford SVO A460 Cam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175697328903?epid=191771916&hash=item28e8607b07:g:KtMAAOSw1~dkw3YH&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4GPKkK2CcM%2BP8aqnZaW3FddniyLcp3WfWkOrljq52%2F9CnyivnGmENcRrS9sxXFVPbYxVUpQRxQlnqIIBzCvyyr4CDVs9C2MWqsH2AHrwcfU%2BOa9aj%2F4R723CY0d1%2B7jdmk5KR9IS08Lw9V2wM5GoJXgjbx11WSZbxRQhJQlyqzDzZATxflsShQmhSfREdRpECQojkAgDdM43zjDnomAFOdTDiNVUG5%2BHiCNb6epvFnbW64lNUHtK8InGpS9Cm3ugZ%2BOUfEtcqigMG%2B%2BpTIRdlE6PRBKnEPqx0zIZ9T7bEqWu%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8TsqP2YYw

^  $$$322$$$Ouch Evil or Very Mad

Something will Pop Up Though, It Always Does Cool

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Fox460C6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 2nd 2024, 9:49 am

Thank you. I went and found the old Comp Cams dyno app and it pulled up a couple of options that were a “great fit”. Bad thing is that they all said adjustable valve train required. Talking with Paul though I was going to try and stay with the stock valve train.

It came up with a 34-331-4, 34-330-4 or 34-247-4.
Paul recommended looking for maybe a 230/236 close to a .550
I am going to run those stock rebuilder flat tops from Silvo-lite. Stock rods and crank. Then I think we decided I need to look for a set of D3VE heads to build up for cheapish. Though seems like I am finding more D0VE heads in the area for about $500.

Oh and somehow I won those gaskets at $90. lol Thanks for letting me get them. I hope they double wrap them so they don’t get crushed for me! Lol


Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 2nd 2024, 5:41 pm

Fox460C6 wrote:Thank you. I went and found the old Comp Cams dyno app and it pulled up a couple of options that were a “great fit”. Bad thing is that they all said adjustable valve train required. Talking with Paul though I was going to try and stay with the stock valve train.

It came up with a 34-331-4, 34-330-4 or 34-247-4.
Paul recommended looking for maybe a 230/236 close to a .550
I am going to run those stock rebuilder flat tops from Silvo-lite. Stock rods and crank. Then I think we decided I need to look for a set of D3VE heads to build up for cheapish. Though seems like I am finding more D0VE heads in the area for about $500.

Oh and somehow I won those gaskets at $90. lol Thanks for letting me get them. I hope they double wrap them so they don’t get crushed for me!  Lol


Glad to hear on the gaskets. Let me know if they have the CJ Intakes and Exhaust in it, I bet it does?

You need to PM the seller on the gaskets and ask him to double box them, he said he would.

You can use shims on the D3 pedistal mount heads for valve adjustment. They used to and probably still make adjustable Roller Rockers for Them Also.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6529-a302/make/ford

Don't Forget at .540"-.550" Cam Lift, you need to check for valve seal to retainer clearance, and over that cut the guides shorter on stock heads.

Those Silvo-Lite Flat-Tops are Cheap and have the big Valve reliefs. I would rather the Forged Wiseco's myself. If you wanted to Spray or Boost it down the road, the Engine would have good pistons for the job. I am just not a fan of Hypers, after seeing the Carnage when the Nitrous goes a little lean on them. Crying or Very sad

D3's are a Dime a Dozen, Everybody has a Set or Two Laying Around, Keep Looking and You will find a set for a 100 or Less. Cool

That Comp 331 cam is a 280H-10 Single Pattern. I would look only at Dual Pattern Cams for what you are building.

Another thing is Deck height (Decking the Block) and piston compression height. .000"-.010" in the hole is good for quench and helps keep detonation away, and raises the compression a little on those open chamber D3 heads.

^ Look at Page 176Electric/126Actual of The PDF on The Compression with 3 Different Deck Heights of a 1.7560" Compression Height Flat Top Pistons, with the Different cc Heads. They Just go Down to .014" in the Hole.

file:///C:/Users/Home/Downloads/speed-pro-performance%20(7).pdf

Or Run it on The Wallace Calculator.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php

The Rockers You Saved off the Fuelie Heads Should be fine on the D3's as for as I am Aware are the same.

I would get some better pushrods though.

I would also pickup a Transgo 1-2 Shiftkit for the C6 before the 2024 price increase, myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254609613056

You are getting Closer on Your Parts Gathering. Skipping the Ching Chong Heads should free up some cash and make it go faster, Hopefully. Arrow

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Fox460C6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  BigBlockRanger January 2nd 2024, 6:24 pm

My son built a basic 460 for his Galaxie.  It runs good.

https://www.429-460.com/t28571-1969-galaxie-500-high-school-college-kid-budget-build

Stock crank, rods
Lunati 10340704LK
TFS-16514-16 valve springs I think
Silvolite 3191H pistons
D3 heads - guides cut down
Weiand Stealth
Brawler 850

I think it came out to be around 9.5:1.

I'd run a 28" tire (275/60) and a 3.73 gear with at least a 3500 converter.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Posts : 1214
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 53
Location : Amarillo

Mark Miller and Fox460C6 like this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 2nd 2024, 7:53 pm

Fox460C6 wrote:Thank you. I went and found the old Comp Cams dyno app and it pulled up a couple of options that were a “great fit”. Bad thing is that they all said adjustable valve train required. Talking with Paul though I was going to try and stay with the stock valve train.

It came up with a 34-331-4, 34-330-4 or 34-247-4.
Paul recommended looking for maybe a 230/236 close to a .550
I am going to run those stock rebuilder flat tops from Silvo-lite. Stock rods and crank. Then I think we decided I need to look for a set of D3VE heads to build up for cheapish. Though seems like I am finding more D0VE heads in the area for about $500.

Oh and somehow I won those gaskets at $90. lol Thanks for letting me get them. I hope they double wrap them so they don’t get crushed for me!  Lol


Ask You Machinist How Much to Deck the Block with Pistons and Verify Deck Height?...

Builder Hypers Usually have Two(2) Big Valve Reliefs and are 1.7520" Compression Height.

These Have One(1) Big Valve Relief and a 1.7720" Compression Height. May Get by without the Expense of Decking the Block and Will Get More Compression, Either Way?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282819269083?hash=item41d95791db:g:UfUAAOSwe0ZlZiam&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0ITQrP1eMUyqJmeo5BD7RcHj6QUm2TbqIEC6mwk2UOb5iOVwn3SCRkm23cdNAAk65%2FPm6PUfPpJUotKTOinw1tLrDA0mtvJqRyyvQp%2BLglIRQ9m6%2B7FHlUVm7AahhqYNJCpQEKT8Ak97VkWBfkGJ6ziCSBdQu2M%2Bf9HCv5F4Um%2FEvmfRJc%2BwLK0nFuz9Dx%2B%2BpUMlE1Yws7wEkig6Zrrnyx1PHJTXLez81gtNGMXX8dKTC4hFkwb6sd5dMwXGYvJaeALnicN%2BjJavmlnh4gfxHeU%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5De2MiZYw

^ Catch is They Cost Almost as Much as The Forged Wiseco's with Rings (Which are 1.7560"CH and will be Deeper in the Hole). These Hypers will Need 55+ Dollar Moly Rings.

Choices Can/Always Sometimes Suck and Always Seem to Raise the Cost of the Better and Good Stuff. Crying or Very sad

Just Some Food for Thought

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Fox460C6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 2nd 2024, 10:01 pm

supervel45 wrote:
Fox460C6 wrote:Thank you. I went and found the old Comp Cams dyno app and it pulled up a couple of options that were a “great fit”. Bad thing is that they all said adjustable valve train required. Talking with Paul though I was going to try and stay with the stock valve train.

It came up with a 34-331-4, 34-330-4 or 34-247-4.
Paul recommended looking for maybe a 230/236 close to a .550
I am going to run those stock rebuilder flat tops from Silvo-lite. Stock rods and crank. Then I think we decided I need to look for a set of D3VE heads to build up for cheapish. Though seems like I am finding more D0VE heads in the area for about $500.

Oh and somehow I won those gaskets at $90. lol Thanks for letting me get them. I hope they double wrap them so they don’t get crushed for me!  Lol


Glad to hear on the gaskets. Let me know if they have the CJ Intakes and Exhaust in it, I bet it does?

You need to PM the seller on the gaskets and ask him to double box them, he said he would.

You can use shims on the D3 pedistal mount heads for valve adjustment. They used to and probably still make adjustable Roller Rockers for Them Also.


Don't Forget at .540"-.550" Cam Lift, you need to check for valve seal to retainer clearance, and over that cut the guides shorter on stock heads.

Those Silvo-Lite Flat-Tops are Cheap and have the big Valve reliefs. I would rather the Forged Wiseco's myself. If you wanted to Spray or Boost it down the road, the Engine would have good pistons for the job. I am just not a fan of Hypers, after seeing the Carnage when the Nitrous goes a little lean on them. Crying or Very sad

D3's are a Dime a Dozen, Everybody has a Set or Two Laying Around, Keep Looking and You will find a set for a 100 or Less. Cool

That Comp 331 cam is a 280H-10 Single Pattern. I would look only at Dual Pattern Cams for what you are building.

Another thing is Deck height (Decking the Block) and piston compression height. .000"-.010" in the hole is good for quench and helps keep detonation away, and raises the compression a little on those open chamber D3 heads.

^ Look at Page 176Electric/126Actual of The PDF on The Compression with 3 Different Deck Heights of a 1.7560" Compression Height Flat Top Pistons, with the Different cc Heads. They Just go Down to .014" in the Hole.

file:///C:/Users/Home/Downloads/speed-pro-performance%20(7).pdf

Or Run it on The Wallace Calculator.



The Rockers You Saved off the Fuelie Heads Should be fine on the D3's as for as I am Aware are the same.

I would get some better pushrods though.

I would also pickup a Transgo 1-2 Shiftkit for the C6 before the 2024 price increase, myself.



You are getting Closer on Your Parts Gathering. Skipping the Ching Chong Heads should free up some cash and make it go faster, Hopefully. Arrow


Well, I am hoping the pistons come through. I have my order number and everything from Barnett  Performance, but nothing as of yet. $152 for the set, then going to grab the matching ring set if they confirm being shipped. https://b


I am 99.99% sure I will not be running a power adder….especially nitrous. Never been a fan as to me it’s something that is too easy to make your engine go boom. Turbo or Supercharger I am good with, but I am also doing an LS turbo swap in a New Edge Mustang. So trying to juggle projects. lol I want this one to be a noisy rowdy car Very Happy

So it sounds like I will be on look out for those D3s. Talked to Paul again today and he had to explain to me the deal on flat tops and D0VE heads get a red X. I am not that great with numbers….I am an IT guy. We just worry about 1’s and 0’s Smile I just couldn’t understand why the pistons say 10.4:1 or whatever using D0VE 75cc compression numbers.  I know it’s a science to figure out those numbers. He did note if you are going to spend the money to go adjustable, then go with the D0VEs and change the pistons. More room to grow. Makes sense. And like you said, the Chinese heads need to stay where they are as they can be decent, but do not work as good as the stockers (or big name heads).
I am tempted to drive 1.5 hours away to get those D0VE-Cs, but I don’t know. It says 500, but may take 400 for them. Need complete rebuild of course.

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 2nd 2024, 10:03 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:My son built a basic 460 for his Galaxie.  It runs good.

https://www.429-460.com/t28571-1969-galaxie-500-high-school-college-kid-budget-build

Stock crank, rods
Lunati 10340704LK
TFS-16514-16 valve springs I think
Silvolite 3191H pistons
D3 heads - guides cut down
Weiand Stealth
Brawler 850

I think it came out to be around 9.5:1.

I'd run a 28" tire (275/60) and a 3.73 gear with at least a 3500 converter.

I checked out your budget build BigBlockRanger and that is very cool! Yes it almost sounds like the similar route I need to take to not keep this build from ballooning up. Have so many other parts to buy as you mentioned Smile Thanks for the build breakdown

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

BigBlockRanger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 3rd 2024, 12:30 am

Fox460C6 wrote:
supervel45 wrote:
Fox460C6 wrote:Thank you. I went and found the old Comp Cams dyno app and it pulled up a couple of options that were a “great fit”. Bad thing is that they all said adjustable valve train required. Talking with Paul though I was going to try and stay with the stock valve train.

It came up with a 34-331-4, 34-330-4 or 34-247-4.
Paul recommended looking for maybe a 230/236 close to a .550
I am going to run those stock rebuilder flat tops from Silvo-lite. Stock rods and crank. Then I think we decided I need to look for a set of D3VE heads to build up for cheapish. Though seems like I am finding more D0VE heads in the area for about $500.

Oh and somehow I won those gaskets at $90. lol Thanks for letting me get them. I hope they double wrap them so they don’t get crushed for me!  Lol


Glad to hear on the gaskets. Let me know if they have the CJ Intakes and Exhaust in it, I bet it does?

You need to PM the seller on the gaskets and ask him to double box them, he said he would.

You can use shims on the D3 pedistal mount heads for valve adjustment. They used to and probably still make adjustable Roller Rockers for Them Also.


Don't Forget at .540"-.550" Cam Lift, you need to check for valve seal to retainer clearance, and over that cut the guides shorter on stock heads.

Those Silvo-Lite Flat-Tops are Cheap and have the big Valve reliefs. I would rather the Forged Wiseco's myself. If you wanted to Spray or Boost it down the road, the Engine would have good pistons for the job. I am just not a fan of Hypers, after seeing the Carnage when the Nitrous goes a little lean on them. Crying or Very sad

D3's are a Dime a Dozen, Everybody has a Set or Two Laying Around, Keep Looking and You will find a set for a 100 or Less. Cool

That Comp 331 cam is a 280H-10 Single Pattern. I would look only at Dual Pattern Cams for what you are building.

Another thing is Deck height (Decking the Block) and piston compression height. .000"-.010" in the hole is good for quench and helps keep detonation away, and raises the compression a little on those open chamber D3 heads.

^ Look at Page 176Electric/126Actual of The PDF on The Compression with 3 Different Deck Heights of a 1.7560" Compression Height Flat Top Pistons, with the Different cc Heads. They Just go Down to .014" in the Hole.

file:///C:/Users/Home/Downloads/speed-pro-performance%20(7).pdf

Or Run it on The Wallace Calculator.



The Rockers You Saved off the Fuelie Heads Should be fine on the D3's as for as I am Aware are the same.

I would get some better pushrods though.

I would also pickup a Transgo 1-2 Shiftkit for the C6 before the 2024 price increase, myself.



You are getting Closer on Your Parts Gathering. Skipping the Ching Chong Heads should free up some cash and make it go faster, Hopefully. Arrow


Well, I am hoping the pistons come through. I have my order number and everything from Barnett  Performance, but nothing as of yet. $152 for the set, then going to grab the matching ring set if they confirm being shipped. https://b


I am 99.99% sure I will not be running a power adder….especially nitrous. Never been a fan as to me it’s something that is too easy to make your engine go boom. Turbo or Supercharger I am good with, but I am also doing an LS turbo swap in a New Edge Mustang. So trying to juggle projects. lol I want this one to be a noisy rowdy car Very Happy

So it sounds like I will be on look out for those D3s. Talked to Paul again today and he had to explain to me the deal on flat tops and D0VE heads get a red X. I am not that great with numbers….I am an IT guy. We just worry about 1’s and 0’s Smile I just couldn’t understand why the pistons say 10.4:1 or whatever using D0VE 75cc compression numbers.  I know it’s a science to figure out those numbers. He did note if you are going to spend the money to go adjustable, then go with the D0VEs and change the pistons. More room to grow. Makes sense. And like you said, the Chinese heads need to stay where they are as they can be decent, but do not work as good as the stockers (or big name heads).
I am tempted to drive 1.5 hours away to get those D0VE-Cs, but I don’t know. It says 500, but may take 400 for them. Need complete rebuild of course.

The Thing with The D0OVE Heads is they Don't Have Hardened Exhaust Seats for Unleaded Gas.

I Would Just Hunt a Set 0f 100 Buck D3's Down. Put Valve Springs Retainers and New Locks on Them with a Good Valve Job.

Use The Shims To Set Your Lifter Pre-Load with the HFT Camshaft.

Go With Flat-Tops and D3's and You Can be in the Low 9's to Low 10's Compression wise Depending if You Deck The Block and Shave the Heads.

On The Wallace Compression Ratio Program I Linked Use These Inputs to See The Affect of Deck Height and Cylinder Head cc's Ect...

Bore: 4.39
Stroke:3.85
Rod Lenght:6.605---Not Needed
Gasket Bore Dia:4.5"
Gasket Thickness:.041"
Head CC's:72-97--- D0OVE's 76-77cc CJ's 72cc PI's 88cc D3's and D2VE's 95-97cc
Deck Height/Piston Height: .000"-.045" In The Hole on 429/460's.
^ Note:C8/C9/DOVE=10.3" up to 10.322" on Late Blocks
Other Additions:0
Piston Dish/CC's: Dish is A positive Number 2.5-22cc Usually on a 429/460 Non Stroker, Common Pistons
Altitude:0

The Wallace Calculator is The Most Accurate Method to Calculate Compression in My Opinion as Long as The Data You Enter is Correct.

Give it a Try.

Don't Rush Too Much on Your Parts Selection is My Thought and How I Usually Get Burned if I Do.

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Fox460C6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 3rd 2024, 7:55 am

supervel45 wrote:
Fox460C6 wrote:
supervel45 wrote:
Fox460C6 wrote:Thank you. I went and found the old Comp Cams dyno app and it pulled up a couple of options that were a “great fit”. Bad thing is that they all said adjustable valve train required. Talking with Paul though I was going to try and stay with the stock valve train.

It came up with a 34-331-4, 34-330-4 or 34-247-4.
Paul recommended looking for maybe a 230/236 close to a .550
I am going to run those stock rebuilder flat tops from Silvo-lite. Stock rods and crank. Then I think we decided I need to look for a set of D3VE heads to build up for cheapish. Though seems like I am finding more D0VE heads in the area for about $500.

Oh and somehow I won those gaskets at $90. lol Thanks for letting me get them. I hope they double wrap them so they don’t get crushed for me!  Lol


Glad to hear on the gaskets. Let me know if they have the CJ Intakes and Exhaust in it, I bet it does?

You need to PM the seller on the gaskets and ask him to double box them, he said he would.

You can use shims on the D3 pedistal mount heads for valve adjustment. They used to and probably still make adjustable Roller Rockers for Them Also.


Don't Forget at .540"-.550" Cam Lift, you need to check for valve seal to retainer clearance, and over that cut the guides shorter on stock heads.

Those Silvo-Lite Flat-Tops are Cheap and have the big Valve reliefs. I would rather the Forged Wiseco's myself. If you wanted to Spray or Boost it down the road, the Engine would have good pistons for the job. I am just not a fan of Hypers, after seeing the Carnage when the Nitrous goes a little lean on them. Crying or Very sad

D3's are a Dime a Dozen, Everybody has a Set or Two Laying Around, Keep Looking and You will find a set for a 100 or Less. Cool

That Comp 331 cam is a 280H-10 Single Pattern. I would look only at Dual Pattern Cams for what you are building.

Another thing is Deck height (Decking the Block) and piston compression height. .000"-.010" in the hole is good for quench and helps keep detonation away, and raises the compression a little on those open chamber D3 heads.

^ Look at Page 176Electric/126Actual of The PDF on The Compression with 3 Different Deck Heights of a 1.7560" Compression Height Flat Top Pistons, with the Different cc Heads. They Just go Down to .014" in the Hole.

file:///C:/Users/Home/Downloads/speed-pro-performance%20(7).pdf

Or Run it on The Wallace Calculator.



The Rockers You Saved off the Fuelie Heads Should be fine on the D3's as for as I am Aware are the same.

I would get some better pushrods though.

I would also pickup a Transgo 1-2 Shiftkit for the C6 before the 2024 price increase, myself.



You are getting Closer on Your Parts Gathering. Skipping the Ching Chong Heads should free up some cash and make it go faster, Hopefully. Arrow


Well, I am hoping the pistons come through. I have my order number and everything from Barnett  Performance, but nothing as of yet. $152 for the set, then going to grab the matching ring set if they confirm being shipped. https://b


I am 99.99% sure I will not be running a power adder….especially nitrous. Never been a fan as to me it’s something that is too easy to make your engine go boom. Turbo or Supercharger I am good with, but I am also doing an LS turbo swap in a New Edge Mustang. So trying to juggle projects. lol I want this one to be a noisy rowdy car Very Happy

So it sounds like I will be on look out for those D3s. Talked to Paul again today and he had to explain to me the deal on flat tops and D0VE heads get a red X. I am not that great with numbers….I am an IT guy. We just worry about 1’s and 0’s Smile I just couldn’t understand why the pistons say 10.4:1 or whatever using D0VE 75cc compression numbers.  I know it’s a science to figure out those numbers. He did note if you are going to spend the money to go adjustable, then go with the D0VEs and change the pistons. More room to grow. Makes sense. And like you said, the Chinese heads need to stay where they are as they can be decent, but do not work as good as the stockers (or big name heads).
I am tempted to drive 1.5 hours away to get those D0VE-Cs, but I don’t know. It says 500, but may take 400 for them. Need complete rebuild of course.

The Thing with The D0OVE Heads is they Don't Have Hardened Exhaust Seats for Unleaded Gas.

I Would Just Hunt a Set 0f 100 Buck D3's Down. Put Valve Springs Retainers and New Locks on Them with a Good Valve Job.

Use The Shims To Set Your Lifter Pre-Load with the HFT Camshaft.

Go With Flat-Tops and D3's and You Can be in the Low 9's to Low 10's Compression wise Depending if You Deck The Block and Shave the Heads.

On The Wallace Compression Ratio Program I Linked Use These Inputs to See The Affect of Deck Height and Cylinder Head cc's Ect...

Bore: 4.39
Stroke:3.85
Rod Lenght:6.605---Not Needed
Gasket Bore Dia:4.5"
Gasket Thickness:.041"
Head CC's:72-97--- D0OVE's 76-77cc  CJ's 72cc   PI's 88cc   D3's and D2VE's 95-97cc
Deck Height/Piston Height: .000"-.045" In The Hole on 429/460's.
^ Note:C8/C9/DOVE=10.3" up to 10.322" on Late Blocks
Other Additions:0
Piston Dish/CC's: Dish is A positive Number 2.5-22cc Usually on a 429/460 Non Stroker, Common Pistons
Altitude:0

The Wallace Calculator is The Most Accurate Method to Calculate Compression in My Opinion as Long as The Data You Enter is Correct.

Give it a Try.

Don't Rush Too Much on Your Parts Selection is My Thought and How I Usually Get Burned if I Do.

I will for sure do that and check out that app. Thanks for the numbers as well! Yeah I will keep looking for the D3s then. Is there any version after the D3 that can be used? Like the early/mid 80’s carb heads or better to stick with the D3 only? I see a few on Marketplace for $100-$150, but they are just too far away. Driving to Kentucky or Ohio for them would be silly lol I think the problem is this is “racing country”. It is sometimes hard to find certain parts in this area. I will keep a lookout though. I saw on Craigslist that someone is wanting all 429-460 parts in my area, so they are being grabbed up when they are listed most likely.

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 3rd 2024, 8:53 am

So let’s make sure I have this correct.
I ran the numbers in the app. Put in 96cc for the head, then the pistons are a flat top and on the website it says -4cc. But a flat top is supposed to be 0, and the -4 takes into account the valve relief….right? So in the calculator it says “Positive number for valve reliefs”. Am I correct in inputing just a 4 there? If so using a .030 deck height it comes out to only 8.91. To me that is the land of supercharger compression ratio. I would say on a N/A engine you want to make at least 9.5:1-10:1 right? If I do a +4 instead it shows 9.08:1.

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 3rd 2024, 1:50 pm

So I just went to Barnett to check on my order again. If this is correct I will be canceling that order. They tacked on 238.66 for sales tax? Sounds to me like they are trying to get out of selling them to me at the bought price. Maybe it’s a system glitch?

Original Order and today’s status of order

Original:
Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Img_4111

Current Status:
Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Img_4112

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 3rd 2024, 3:07 pm

Fox460C6 wrote:So let’s make sure I have this correct.
I ran the numbers in the app. Put in 96cc for the head, then the pistons are a flat top and on the website it says -4cc. But a flat top is supposed to be 0, and the -4 takes into account the valve relief….right? So in the calculator it says “Positive number for valve reliefs”. Am I correct in inputing just a 4 there?  If so using a .030 deck height it comes out to only 8.91. To me that is the land of supercharger compression ratio. I would say on a N/A engine you want to make at least  9.5:1-10:1 right?  If I do a +4 instead it shows 9.08:1.



.030" Over Flat Tops Two(2) 2.0cc Valve Relief's 460 Ford

Note: Some of The CJ Intake Valve Reliefs are More, Like 2.5-4CC's Each

4.39"
3.85"
96cc
4cc USE A POSITIVE NUMBER FOR VALVE RELIEF's and DISH's
.041"
4.5"
DH: .000"
0
Calculate
466.20 CID
Your Compression Ratio is 9.63

For Every .010" You Shave The Heads You Loose about 2 to 3 CC's

If You go with D0OVE Heads Use 72-77 CC's (Lower Number if Shaved .010" or More).

You will Need Dished Pistons with the D0OVE's to Stay between 9 to 10/1 Compression.

Fuelie Dished Pistons are about a 15cc Dish and Smoogger Deep Dish Pistons are about a 22cc Dish.

I Believe Most of The E Heads (1980's) are Revised D3's and About The Same as D3's.

Somewhere Along the Line, E7 or Later They were switched to the new style Fuelie Heads, Like on Your Engine.

I Don't Keep up with those, though. Paul's got all the Dope on Them Along with the Kohler Generator Heads, with the casting numbers buried under the Intake Flange. If You can Score Some Kohler Heads they are Low Hours and Run on Propane and are Very Clean, from the ones I have Seen. So Keep an Eye Out For Them. The Guy on Marketplace that wants 800 for a set is on Crack Though. Wink Maybe 5-700 for the Whole Engine LoL.

They Have D3's in Your State. Just Have to Keep Hunting

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Fox460C6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 3rd 2024, 3:13 pm

I'd Call or PM Barnett.

I Think They Just Made a Mistake on the TAX.

They Have Some Other Good 460 Deals Also, Like New Out of The Box in The Plastic Bearings.

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 3rd 2024, 3:58 pm

Good to know about those generator heads. I saw a set somewhere for sale and can’t remember where. I figured what the heck would I do with those? Glad to know they work too.

Another guy has a set of good complete heads for $200 from an 1986 F350. Assuming carb, but you know how unresponsive some people can be (and no pic). It would just be another over hour-ish drive,

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 3rd 2024, 5:47 pm

Check This/These Places

https://www.yellowpages.com/winston-salem-nc/lkq-auto-salvage

If They Do Not Sell To The General Public on Some Cores, Find Someone to Buy For You.

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 4th 2024, 11:33 pm

Fox460C6 wrote:So I just went to Barnett to check on my order again. If this is correct I will be canceling that order. They tacked on 238.66 for sales tax? Sounds to me like they are trying to get out of selling them to me at the bought price. Maybe it’s a system glitch?

Original Order and today’s status of order

Original:
Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Img_4111

Current Status:
Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Img_4112

So What Happened With the Pistons?

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Fox460C6 January 5th 2024, 4:02 pm

Nothing as of yet. Haven’t had a chance to call them. Order still just sitting.

Fox460C6

Posts : 23
Join date : 2023-12-29
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 7th 2024, 12:18 am

Call Now on the D3's, He's Up, just talking with him.

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 9th 2024, 8:40 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285474069333?hash=item4277949b55:g:tSAAAOSwoMFiERdd

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285305242987?hash=item426d84856b:g:tSAAAOSwoMFiERdd

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285102752741?hash=item426172c3e5:g:tSAAAOSwoMFiERdd

^ Put Them on your watch list and see if or what kind of offer he may make you.

I got the 246/246 .588"/.588" for about 25 less because I am in Texas same as him, and shipping did not cost much.

Not saying you should go this route, just a possible option if a NOS does not come up or you want to Gamble on not Paying 300 plus on a New HFT, If You can Even Find a Decent Grind in Stock.

He also has many other Big Block Ford Grinds to choose From.Cool

PS: The Smaller The Duration and Lift For That Matter, The Safer It is of not Going Through The Core Temper.

Another Down Side is They are All Ground on a 112 LSA Because he has to Stay On or Very Close to the OEM Ford Core LSA. Crying or Very sad

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 16th 2024, 12:48 am

KB Hyper Ring Gap

https://enginepro.com/downloads/kb_installation.pdf

SilVolite

https://enginepro.com/downloads/kb_installation.pdf

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  rmcomprandy January 16th 2024, 11:45 am

Fox460C6 wrote:Would these be good for my build?
Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Img_4110

NO, they are using Big Block Chevrolet geometry.
They do work for a while...

rmcomprandy

Posts : 6114
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  dfree383 January 16th 2024, 11:51 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
Fox460C6 wrote:Would these be good for my build?
Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Img_4110

NO, they are using Big Block Chevrolet geometry.
They do work for a while...

If you need rockers eBay has Elgin Black ICE replacements pretty cheap. They work with hydraulic cams up to the mid .500 lifts pretty well.

Don’t use Chevy stuff like Randy has said the geometry gets all knocked up.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14802
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  supervel45 January 28th 2024, 12:14 am

Looks like the Howards HFT's are backordered until March 22, At Least, unless someone has some sitting around they forgot about. Only a few Hydraulic Rollers in stock.


https://www.summitracing.com/search/make/ford?N=brand%3Ahowards-cams&ar=1&keyword=7.5%2F460%20Howards%20Camshaft%20Camshaft&kr=Ford%207.5%2F460%20Howards%20Camshaft%20Camshaft&page=1

Short List of What is in Stock and/or Shipped on Jan.29,2024.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/make/ford?N=brand%3Ahowards-cams%2Bfilter-options%3Ain-stock_vendor-in-stock&ar=1&keyword=7.5%2F460%20Howards%20Camshaft%20Camshaft&kr=Ford%207.5%2F460%20Howards%20Camshaft%20Camshaft

supervel45

Posts : 4464
Join date : 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help - Page 2 Empty Re: Foxbody 460/C6 swap and engine build help

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum