BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edelbrock heads

5 posters

Go down

Edelbrock heads Empty Edelbrock heads

Post  stig January 2nd 2024, 9:42 pm

Anybody ever shave, cut, or otherwise mill the Edelbrock 95s to get more compression? How much til the port mis-alignment and bolt holes from milling becomes an issue that can't be overcome. Before the whole, buy the right ones crowd starts, these heads were the right price $0. So i have ALOT of wiggle room to make them work.

stig

Back to top Go down

Edelbrock heads Empty Re: Edelbrock heads

Post  rmcomprandy January 2nd 2024, 11:55 pm

stig wrote:Anybody ever shave, cut, or otherwise mill the Edelbrock 95s to get more compression? How much til the port mis-alignment and bolt holes from milling becomes an issue that can't be overcome. Before the whole, buy the right ones crowd starts, these heads were the right price $0. So i have ALOT of wiggle room to make them work.

After milling them just .020" begins an alignment issue.
Buy some pistons.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  stig January 3rd 2024, 4:58 am

That's what I figured. .020 is what, 1/4 point at most? Sell them and do something different it is.

stig

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 3rd 2024, 8:03 am

stig wrote:That's what I figured. .020 is what, 1/4 point at most? Sell them and do something different it is.

A Little More.

Some Numbers

https://www.mopar1.us/mill.html

The Calculator

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php#google_vignette

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  stig January 3rd 2024, 8:42 am

I'm actually couple three months away from needing heads. Still sorting out the chassis. I must be nuts building another Fox racecar, LOL. Just being pro-active since everybody is on inter-galactic back order. Would be nice to have the heads figured out before i get to that point. Was going to be AFR or trick flow before these fell in my lap. It's a different world we live in than it was 4 short years ago.

stig

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 3rd 2024, 3:46 pm

stig wrote:I'm actually couple three months away from needing heads. Still sorting out the chassis. I must be nuts building another Fox racecar, LOL. Just being pro-active since everybody is on inter-galactic back order. Would be nice to have the heads figured out before i get to that point. Was going to be AFR or trick flow before these fell in my lap. It's a different world we live in than it was 4 short years ago.

I Hear Ya. It's FUBAR.

I Almost Posted the Old 460.Com Thread on Head Cutting.

Take Off The Intake Flange (OF The Head) the Same Amount as You Cut the Head, and The Intake will Line Up Until You hit the China Wall.

The Vertical Bolts I Believe are The Catch of It All. Crying or Very sad

I Believe that link with .003" Per cc is for The D2VE Head with a Fully Open (Round) Chamber?

The Number for the Quench Head Seems More Realistic to me on The D3's and Eddies or in the Ball Park at Least.

I Would Not Give Up on Free Eddie's, Myself, Too Quick. Cool

supervel45

stanger68 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 January 3rd 2024, 9:16 pm

Im not a fan of anything edelbrock. But you can make them work and make good power. Especially for free. You can shave them until you run out of meat in the intake to shave off. It would be a lot easier to just buy some dome top pistons. A bigger bore will help get compression up as well.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 3rd 2024, 11:16 pm

I've got a set of those on a 521 pump gas motor. The quality is excellent but the hardware is below average. At minimum replace the springs.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  stig January 4th 2024, 5:50 am

The block is already done, it is .060 over. i was only able to find 1 dome 4.42 piston. A KB hyper. Which means ordering custom pistons. I was really hoping to avoid that. A hyper is ok if you don't spray it, don't get crazy with timing, set engine up from day 1 for them (machining)

A stroker is another route altogether. This old man didn't want to go that fast, LOL. 6.50/10.0 is pretty much my target. Just right to the edge of extra regulations and licenses etc. My happy place. 9s is not my happy place. My days of wheelstands "please come down straight" are behind me.

I got a little bit of time. I heard a juicy bit of news from Akron, TFS is bringing back 429-460 heads other than the A460 18-bolt heads they only make now. Are in post production approval now. Couple months will be available. I told them put me on the list.

stig

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 4th 2024, 11:46 am

supervel45 wrote:
stig wrote:I'm actually couple three months away from needing heads. Still sorting out the chassis. I must be nuts building another Fox racecar, LOL. Just being pro-active since everybody is on inter-galactic back order. Would be nice to have the heads figured out before i get to that point. Was going to be AFR or trick flow before these fell in my lap. It's a different world we live in than it was 4 short years ago.

I Hear Ya. It's FUBAR.

I Almost Posted the Old 460.Com Thread on Head Cutting.

Take Off The Intake Flange (OF The Head) the Same Amount as You Cut the Head, and The Intake will Line Up Until You hit the China Wall.

The Vertical Bolts I Believe are The Catch of It All. Crying or Very sad

I Believe that link with .003" Per cc is for The D2VE Head with a Fully Open (Round) Chamber?

The Number for the Quench Head Seems More Realistic to me on The D3's and Eddies or in the Ball Park at Least.

I Would Not Give Up on Free Eddie's, Myself, Too Quick. Cool

Yes. milling the intake side of the heads will make the ports "line-up" but, the bolts will not "line-up" so, slotting those manifold holes may be necessary.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 4th 2024, 12:41 pm

If you are looking for some killer A heads, MBE has them in stock ready to finish.
https://www.mbellc.com/a460-bb-ford
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  stig January 4th 2024, 4:16 pm

the MBE heads,,,,,,Minimum bore 4.5" yea that's overkill. Just like the SR-71, also designed for a 4.5" bore. Although Kaase did tell me with a slightly smaller valve they will work on a smaller bore. Do not remember the details, just that they told me this several years ago. Both are awesome heads, but I'm not looking for that much power. Way beyond where I want to go.
My last big block was a 466, mildly ported A429 heads, Diamond flat tops, Eagle rods, internal balanced, comp XR286 solid roller cam, torker2 intake, 850 qwik fuel carb. And a c6 that shifted itself in D at 5500rpm. this was enough to push a 3000lb t-bird to 6.50 in the 1/8th. that engine would have run for a decade or more with nothing but oil changes. Should have kept it, but I wanted to play with coyotes for a while. Had enough laptop, give me back my screwdriver and pliers, LOL

stig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down