BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone here ever play with Cadillac 472/500 motors?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone here ever play with Cadillac 472/500 motors? Empty Anyone here ever play with Cadillac 472/500 motors?

Post  BBFTorino May 11th 2024, 2:17 am

I have a project that I'm tinkering with. It's a big Cadillac 500. Looking at the website for Cad Company, they are very well knowlegable about the big Cads and they have some impressive parts available for these beasts....but man, they are expensive!
So I picked this running engine that had some nice goodies on it, including an Edelbrock aluminum intake, Demon 850 carb, custom made headers, ARP head studs, and a modified oil pan for more oil capacity.
Whoever put this motor together, did a freshen up on it with new standard size pistons, rings, and rod/main bearings, as well as an aftermarket cam (still looking up the specs for it).
The guy I bought it from bought a a 61 Chevy stepside pickup, and this Caddy was in it. He posted a video of it running, so I did see it run on that video. But  he said it had massive blow-by.
When I arrived, he already had the engine out of the vehicle and hanging on his engine hoist. I paid $700 for it.
The intake itself sells for almost $700 at Summit! So I don't think I did too bad.
So I seen that  it was spewing oil all over, I figured it had a broken ring or something like that.
Upon teardown, nearly every top and second ring was broken, as well as 5 out of 8 pistons had  broken ring lands. No wonder why it was blowing oil everywhere! I suspect that whoever assembled the engine did not check the ring gaps. I think they were too tight and butted together and had nowhere else to go but to break off pieces of the ring lands. The cylinders look very good, as well as the rest of the parts.
However, I think I will go either .020 or .030 over and get Cad Company's forged pistons for this application.
I'll probably get a new cam / lifters and possibly upgraded adjustable valvetrain.
This will not be a race engine per say, but more of a max torque effort and keep the RPMs under 5000. I just might hit it with a little NOS too!

Now, this is being mated up to a "TH425" transmission / transaxle setup from a front wheel drive Eldorado, and it's all going into a 1972 Chevy Vega panel wagon......in the rear of the car!

It's going to be a street driven toy that can ride wheelstands on the street. I don't know how fast it will be on a drag strip, but it will be fun.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Anyone here ever play with Cadillac 472/500 motors? Empty Re: Anyone here ever play with Cadillac 472/500 motors?

Post  rmcomprandy May 11th 2024, 5:46 pm

That Cadillac engine was a very popular "Air Boat" engine.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone here ever play with Cadillac 472/500 motors? Empty Re: Anyone here ever play with Cadillac 472/500 motors?

Post  bruno May 13th 2024, 9:09 pm

First car i drove was my fathers Cadillac Deville with the 501 , torquey little sucker

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  OCD June 9th 2024, 3:11 am

They're here in Albuquerque, talk to Scott he's sharp and can set you up with what you need.

OCD

Back to top Go down

Post  427John June 13th 2024, 8:11 pm

I've seen more than one dropped into 3/4 ton 4wd Chevy pickups but they were mostly stock takeouts, even then the guys loved them felt they were perfect truck motors.

427John

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down