BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus

+3
OldRedFord
schmitty
sarnate
7 posters

Go down

rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus Empty rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus

Post  sarnate January 10th 2010, 5:07 pm

I am rebuilding a 429-460 engine that came out of a propane fuelled school bus. When I ordered parts from Summit; camshaft, timing set and gaskets, the camshaft wass too big to fit into the old bearings, are these oversize bearings and can I put the proper ones in because this may be a heavy spec engine. As well the lower timing gear is too small for the crank, is this an oversize crank? What do I call this engine when ordering parts and where might I find the parts I need? I anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ray

sarnate

Back to top Go down

rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus Empty Re: rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus

Post  schmitty January 10th 2010, 5:58 pm

What are you going to do with this motor? Is it going back in the bus or are you going to use it for something else? The block is going to be the same as any other D9TE block, which is only slightly different from any other 385 series block. The cam bearings could be nonstandard, and standard should be fine if the cam bearing od is proper. I would check the cam with a micrometer to be sure. As far as the lower timing gear, the truck 429 used a different crank that had a different snout than a regular 429/460. It was a forged crank also. As far as proper parts, if you tell your supply source that it is a HD truck 429, they should be able to get you the proper parts. BF Evans Ford's phone# is 877-611-2613, ask for Shawn in parts and I'll bet he can hook you up with the proper stuff. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus Empty Re: rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus

Post  OldRedFord January 10th 2010, 8:05 pm

sarnate wrote:I am rebuilding a 429-460 engine that came out of a propane fuelled school bus. When I ordered parts from Summit; camshaft, timing set and gaskets, the camshaft wass too big to fit into the old bearings, are these oversize bearings and can I put the proper ones in because this may be a heavy spec engine. As well the lower timing gear is too small for the crank, is this an oversize crank? What do I call this engine when ordering parts and where might I find the parts I need? I anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ray

Can you post some pictures?
What is the block casting number on the side of the block by the starter?
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 10th 2010, 8:57 pm

Those 429 motors have a few differences from to regular stuff, first the crank is a forged large snout industrial part and the timing cover is going to be different also. I'm not sure about the cam journals I've never seen them be different unless you got the wrong cam?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie January 11th 2010, 4:24 am

what brand of cam is this?

if I remeber correctly not long ago there was a post about comp cams cam journal being ground wrong. I believe they were too big if I remember corectly.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 11th 2010, 7:57 am

paulie wrote:what brand of cam is this?

if I remeber correctly not long ago there was a post about comp cams cam journal being ground wrong. I believe they were too big if I remember corectly.

Thats generally a problem with the Billet Rollers from my experiance.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

rebuilding a 429 that came out of a propane fuelled school bus Empty Re:

Post  sarnate January 11th 2010, 8:59 pm

I am rebuilding the engine to put into my 4x4 mud/trail truck. I appreciate all the information everyone has given, I will take all your comments into consideration. I'll keep you posted and send in some pics when it's all finished.

Thanks
Ray

sarnate

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 11th 2010, 9:53 pm

You will need to probably find a different crank to use, because the pistons for that rebuild are going to be very heavy. Those engines were governed for a reason. Most I've been around will be governed at or below 4k rpm. You should be able to get a decent 3.85" crank to make a 460 for very little cash and it's well worth the upgrade in cubic inches. The forged crank for the HD429 is a desirable piece to rebuilders who need them for that specific engine, and you may be able to swap straight up for the 460 crank. Be aware that there are both internal an external balance cranks for the 460, and you will need the external balance unit, because the internal balance has larger counter weights and won't fit the D9TE block without some clearancing. A call to Adney Brown @Performance crankshaft would be a good idea for a complete balanced rotating assembly. I would find a front cover/water pump from an automotive application because you will not want the dual thermostat design of the HD engine, because it can only be used with that specific intake manifold. A good set of heads and an aluminum intake and you will be well on your way.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 11th 2010, 9:57 pm

You cam have the 429 snout turned down to a standard 429/460 size also if you wish to retain it, or like has been mentioned you can swap it and probably wlget a fresh cut regular 460 one for it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer January 12th 2010, 1:43 am

dfree383 wrote:You cam have the 429 snout turned down to a standard 429/460 size also if you wish to retain it, or like has been mentioned you can swap it and probably wlget a fresh cut regular 460 one for it.

There are several differences... Paul has some info to offer here...
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139031
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane January 12th 2010, 3:56 am

sarnate wrote:I am rebuilding a 429-460 engine that came out of a propane fuelled school bus. When I ordered parts from Summit; camshaft, timing set and gaskets, the camshaft wass too big to fit into the old bearings, are these oversize bearings and can I put the proper ones in because this may be a heavy spec engine. As well the lower timing gear is too small for the crank, is this an oversize crank? What do I call this engine when ordering parts and where might I find the parts I need? I anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ray
You received parts for a passenger car 429 engine, but you have a comemrecial 429 engine. The passenger car engine was produced from 1968-1973, and the commercial 429 engine was produced from 1989-1991 (carburetted) or later.

The commercial 429 engine uses a few different parts both internally and externally. You would be well advised to learn abut the commercial engine as much as possible; you may find some good info by clicking HERE.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down