BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone used these wheels before

+4
scottke
'65 T-BOLT
billandlori
69F100
8 posters

Go down

Has anyone used these wheels before Empty Has anyone used these wheels before

Post  69F100 January 24th 2010, 4:01 pm

I have been looking and check out used and new wheels just wondering if anyone has used the Greg Weld Wheel and how they like them or dislike them.
These are the ones I am thinking about getting
http://www.racingjunk.com/category/422/Drag_Racing_Wheels/post/1718908/Greg-Weld-Dragstar-RaceStar-Industries.html

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used these wheels before Empty Re: Has anyone used these wheels before

Post  billandlori January 24th 2010, 4:29 pm

I haven't heard, but they sure look good!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used these wheels before Empty Re: Has anyone used these wheels before

Post  '65 T-BOLT January 25th 2010, 12:08 am

I like those wheels! I use to live around the corner from Jim's tire.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke January 25th 2010, 12:15 am

My brother has a set for a 5 lug stang he is thinking about selling. They look really good. He is just wanting some of the new Alumistars.

Has anyone used these wheels before Th_DSC02522
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  gdog January 25th 2010, 10:28 pm

These are great looking wheels and I think they would look great on my car. But after looking, I notice that they are unilug. I can't keep my Crager SS unilug wheels tight. Even with new washers the rear ones will get loose after one pass. Is this a common issue? Or is it a "Gordon" issue. Does anyone have a good experience with unilugs?
Thanks,
Gordon
gdog
gdog
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  EVE January 25th 2010, 10:29 pm

scottke wrote:My brother has a set for a 5 lug stang he is thinking about selling. They look really good. He is just wanting some of the new Alumistars.

I just got a set of front anodized black ones and they are DEAD SEXY!!!!!!!! My new dual beadlocks for the rear will be here soon and I can't wait. If I'm not mistaken, Greg Weld is dead and they are no longer in business. They were also Chinese wheels and I've heard the fit is poor.

EVE

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke January 25th 2010, 11:13 pm

EVE wrote:
scottke wrote:My brother has a set for a 5 lug stang he is thinking about selling. They look really good. He is just wanting some of the new Alumistars.

I just got a set of front anodized black ones and they are DEAD SEXY!!!!!!!! My new dual beadlocks for the rear will be here soon and I can't wait. If I'm not mistaken, Greg Weld is dead and they are no longer in business. They were also Chinese wheels and I've heard the fit is poor.

He had to grind a little on the washers because they sent him the wrong ones, but other than that he's had no problems, they haven't ever gotten loose. They fit great.
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 25th 2010, 11:18 pm

Thanks guys for the input want be getting them did some checking and yes they are uni lug from what I have read after goolging so not getting them will buy weld prostar 15x12 with 5.5bs I when I call tomorrow and find out from Jim at Jim's Racing Tire and Wheel if they are for sure and where they are made at if it is CHINA it want matter uni lug or not want buy them.I WANT BUY CHINA IF I CAN HELP IT so I will spend a few extra dollars for American made.I should have googled first but that what I like about this site people don't mind helping a brother out and pointing out things you might have missed and giving there opintion.

Jim

Last edited by 69F100 on January 27th 2010, 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 26th 2010, 12:54 pm

Update on greg weld wheels they are the unilug .they are u.s. based but the wheels I was looking at are china made they do have some u.s. made wheels.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie9fingers January 26th 2010, 12:58 pm

I'm not that fond of them and wouldn't ever run them, but for a street car and for the right price they would be fine if you like them. I'm not thrilled about the uni-lug installation if any kind of power is gonna be applied, but that's just my 2 cents.
paulie9fingers
paulie9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke January 26th 2010, 4:09 pm

My brother doesn't put down major power with them only putting down right at 500 hp but the wheels fit very tight and he has not had to retorque them or mess with them what so ever
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 26th 2010, 10:05 pm

I had a set of SS Cragers unilig never could keep them tight but I had a set of the Keystone Classic unilugs on my 82 Ford EXP had that car from 86 to 89 never had a problem with them. But putting them on a truck that is going to be drag raced only I rather have regular bolt pattern.I am not saying the unilug rims are no good just that I have had them before with good luck with them and not so good luck with them so I can agree with both ways .But when it comes to American made wheel and a China made I will buy American rather spend the exta $20 I did for the American made wheel.So I went with the Weld Racing 2 Alum prostar 15x12 4.5 bolt pattern with 5.5 BS shipped to door with open lugs,center caps for $458. Jim at Jim's Racing Tires ( http://www.jimsracingtires.com/ ) seams like a real good person to deal with he answered every ? I ask him we talked for about 10 mins. on the phone .He said he had been in business for 50 years I beleave and he didn't recommen the greg weld wheel if I was going to drag race he said he sells them and have put slick on them but he doesn't recommen to use the on the track.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie9fingers January 27th 2010, 9:09 am

Jim is a really nice guy, I've bought wheels and tires from him in the past, he's not far from me and if he was going to be past your place he would drop the stuff off (I don't think he does that anymore though).

Jim's is a nice place to deal with !!!
paulie9fingers
paulie9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace January 27th 2010, 3:23 pm

Greg Weld died last year and his son wasn't able to run the business. So I (myself ) would'nt buy them do to the limited availible parts or wheels. Just think if you damage one and need a replacement. I think someone just bought out the invetory they had laying around for pennies on the dollar.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT January 27th 2010, 10:04 pm

paulie9fingers wrote:Jim is a really nice guy, I've bought wheels and tires from him in the past, he's not far from me and if he was going to be past your place he would drop the stuff off (I don't think he does that anymore though).

Jim's is a nice place to deal with !!!

Paulie9fingers! I use to live on Bird River Road
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down