BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sbf question

4 posters

Go down

Sbf question Empty Sbf question

Post  prosandguy January 31st 2010, 5:12 pm

So I opened up my 351W in the little bronco saturday, and this is what was waiting for me
Sbf question Piston1
Just a bit of a detonation issue, that is the worst piston, 3 others have some other damage to them. The block appears good, no ridge on the cylinder walls or anything. I'm going to save the hyd roller cam, lifters, pushrods, heads and hardward, oil pan, all that stuff. I found a complete short block, no cam or lifters for a good price, but it is not drilled and tapped in the lifter valley for the hyd roller stuff. How much does it take to do that? Has anyone ever done it themselves or had it done?
I'm thinking either that, or just honing this block and getting another set of .030 over pistons and slapping it together. ANy advice anyone has would be appreciated at this point, thanks.
prosandguy
prosandguy

Back to top Go down

Sbf question Empty Re: Sbf question

Post  Nevs January 31st 2010, 6:14 pm

If the block appears to be OK, why not use it? Just replace the pistons and get the tune right.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 31st 2010, 6:36 pm

Did you ever see any aluminum on the plugs? I'm surprised the top ring is still intact. That is the top ring you can see, right?

I'd strip it down and mic the cylinders. If they're good to go then just throw some new pistons in it. I'd maybe even opt not to hone it if the walls look good.

I did that to a 351 before. Rings came out in a million pieces though! Funny thing is the more it smoked the faster it got...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 31st 2010, 9:05 pm

Damn my eyes, I can't tell if it's a dome or a dish from that angle.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  prosandguy January 31st 2010, 9:06 pm

John, I did just see some aluminum on the #1 plug, thats why I pulled it out. I'm really leaning towards getting it cleaned up, running a hone thru it and slap it together. It is/was a dome, I don't have it out yet, but it looks like a possible KB hyper with the .150 dome,
Anybody ever heard of a 6.150 rod and 302 piston combo with a stock stroke 351w crank? I know its not any more cubic inches, but it seems to me that with a 302 piston its a lighter piston and is going to make rpm quicker?? Also, what rod/stroke ratio is acceptable?
I really appreciate the knowledge guys, keep it coming.
prosandguy
prosandguy

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 31st 2010, 9:12 pm

If they are cast (hyper) pistons in a racing environment, I would in opt for some forged pistons instead for some added detonation (& rpm) insurance.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down