BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Trick flow heads oil drain

+6
Lem Evans
the Coug
342g
IDT-572
dfree383
jts557
10 posters

Go down

A Trick flow heads oil drain Empty A Trick flow heads oil drain

Post  jts557 February 2nd 2010, 1:23 pm

I have a 557 with trick flow a heads .Had a ton of problems with.But thats another topic.Anyway the engine
builder calls me and tells me to stop by(just up the street)so he is priming the engine and tells me the oil holes
are way to small to let oil get back to the pan.Sooo he wants to drill holes in the back of the heads and run
return lines back to the pan.Witch his what he did.My question is why wouldnt TF do this although it does seem the holes are about 7/16 kinda small.I run a stock pump his idea as not to overflow the heads!!!
and i run a oil accumulator the motor is in a 4 link dragster. I also think he has me too big of cam as it is over
800 lift.it is a 6.8 rod motor wiesc pistons? I have had the pistons hit the heads 3 times .Each time he tells
me they were over ten in the hole.last time i said FI and put 60 thou head gaskets and after about 20 runs
it broke a lifter.It does run good it goes mid 4.70s in good air.Thank with any help PS i guess i didnt use another
post.BTW he is a chevy guy Sleep and it is a d9 block i have never had a motor with this many issues.
Oh yhe i also broke a crank after 1 pass.new c ast steel witch i upgraded to 4340

jts557

Back to top Go down

A Trick flow heads oil drain Empty Re: A Trick flow heads oil drain

Post  dfree383 February 2nd 2010, 1:51 pm

are the lifters in correctly? and are you using the correct part numbers?

Sounds like you may want to consider finding a different builder........
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 2nd 2010, 2:12 pm

Oil restictors? And what brand cast crank. There should be no need for the oil drain back lines. roller cam and roller rockers, if right should be very little oil going up top.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 2nd 2010, 2:14 pm

Also whayt type rod and brand?
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g February 2nd 2010, 3:05 pm

jts557 wrote:I have a 557 with trick flow a heads .Had a ton of problems with.But thats another topic.Anyway the engine
builder calls me and tells me to stop by(just up the street)so he is priming the engine and tells me the oil holes
are way to small to let oil get back to the pan.Sooo he wants to drill holes in the back of the heads and run
return lines back to the pan.Witch his what he did.My question is why wouldnt TF do this although it does seem the holes are about 7/16 kinda small.I run a stock pump his idea as not to overflow the heads!!!
and i run a oil accumulator the motor is in a 4 link dragster. I also think he has me too big of cam as it is over
800 lift.it is a 6.8 rod motor wiesc pistons? I have had the pistons hit the heads 3 times .Each time he tells
me they were over ten in the hole.last time i said FI and put 60 thou head gaskets and after about 20 runs
it broke a lifter.It does run good it goes mid 4.70s in good air.Thank with any help PS i guess i didnt use another
post.BTW he is a chevy guy Sleep and it is a d9 block i have never had a motor with this many issues.
Oh yhe i also broke a crank after 1 pass.new c ast steel witch i upgraded to 4340

Just reading this I know who it is, what up Jake?
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 2nd 2010, 4:48 pm

all I can say is if you are having oil drain back problems something isn't right the heads need to come off and check the gasket to make sure the oil drain holes line up some may need little clearance.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 2nd 2010, 9:12 pm

I've never had to use an external drain back line on any BBF....look somewhere else .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 2nd 2010, 9:25 pm

i'd say your lifters are in backward and it's flooding the top end.the oil psi.will suck too.aluminum rods grow alot too ,if thats what your running,some dome pistons dont fit just rite.some real high rpm aluminum rod motors have .075-.080 room on the head.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs February 2nd 2010, 9:32 pm

Lem Evans wrote:I've never had to use an external drain back line on any BBF....look somewhere else .

X2, the heads aren't at fault.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 February 3rd 2010, 12:13 pm

Its a steel rod motor.I never ran drains either but he said when he primed the engine the top
of the heads filled up quick? I am not sure if the lifters could be in backwards i think i will pull
the motor this weekend and get ready for disassembly .I am so worried about tis combo i bought
a complete rotating assembly for a 466 for a spare but the problem is i dont think the Tf heads
would work on a small combo would they.I also have another set of Bluethunder heads but
they need valves and springs as i wore them out.How many passes you guys getting out of a stock
block 557 in genral .I would love to put all the stuff in a eliminator block but if it breaks like it has been
doing then im out that to Sad

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 3rd 2010, 12:18 pm

It's a restrictor problem............ Go ask your builder where he put and if he put them in . It shouldn't have that much oil up top. Thats probably why it broke the crank.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 3rd 2010, 12:23 pm

IDT-572 wrote:It's a restrictor problem............ Go ask your builder where he put and if he put them in . It shouldn't have that much oil up top. Thats probably why it broke the crank.

Its a D9 Block, Can only restrict one side.... Only other way is to bush the lifter bores, Sounds like the wrong lifters or they are in backwards, if its getting to much oil to the top.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g February 3rd 2010, 12:34 pm

Lem, this is the guy I was telling you about, asking if you guys could help him, there just isn't anyone up here that will take the time to build a ford, they would rather laugh at you, and ask when you going to put a chitty in it. Mad Mad Very Happy
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g February 3rd 2010, 12:36 pm

If you guys help get him lined out, I will see to it he comes to the bash, even though he has a motor on a stick. cheers
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 3rd 2010, 12:39 pm

His problem is oil control................ Just need to get the shop to check the lifters for the correct orintation, or the right lifters , And maybe bush the lifter bores.

I have run the Comp lifters with a roller with out restrictors and had no problem.

With all that oil on top, it makes me wonder if the crank is starving for oil also.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 February 3rd 2010, 1:01 pm

IDT-572 wrote:His problem is oil control................ Just need to get the shop to check the lifters for the correct orintation, or the right lifters , And maybe bush the lifter bores.

I have run the Comp lifters with a roller with out restrictors and had no problem.

With all that oil on top, it makes me wonder if the crank is starving for oil also.

I sent you a pm did you get it

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 3rd 2010, 1:11 pm

Yep............. Smile
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens February 3rd 2010, 10:50 pm

Hain't nuttin rong wit "A motor on a stick" if u wanna go fasd.

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt February 4th 2010, 11:36 am

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Razz
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  342g February 4th 2010, 1:32 pm

chuck stevens wrote:Hain't nuttin rong wit "A motor on a stick" if u wanna go fasd.

I have to ride ole Jake, he would think I was mad at him if I didn't, he is the only other bbf at our home track. Very Happy
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down