BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining

+2
dfree383
6 posters

Go down

zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining Empty zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining

Post  138 February 8th 2010, 2:05 am

zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining
might be a dumb series of question (and probably a few more to come =) but..

build:
dove a block .060 or .080 over.. getting Milodon 4 bolts on 2-3-4
Scat forged 4.5 stroke
Eagle 6.800 h beams
Diamond a460 pistons domes
new trick flow a460 heads
solid roller around .850 lift
paul kane oil mods
gonna run alcohol

questions:
zero deck with a460 dome pistons?... any info
checking lifter bores... should I get the lifters and have the bores honed/bushed to match?
main and rod bearing clearance suggestions... (gonna run 20w50)
fill with hardblok...opinions?
running a460 heads with this small of a bore...any info
over all build..opinions?
insist on a torque plate for boring/hone, and align bore/hone
bearing suggestions ...King mains? cam?
screw in freeze plugs?

thanks for looking... block goes in tomorrow or the next day for machining. so still up in the air on the hardblok, because eventually this block will be turned back into a street engine in a few seasons.

Back to top Go down

zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining Empty Re: zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining

Post  dfree383 February 8th 2010, 6:33 am

??? Talk with the guy doing the machine work, assuming he's competent with fords. If your trusting his machine work, get his opinion........

Last edited by dfree383 on February 8th 2010, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining Empty Re: zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining

Post  the Coug February 8th 2010, 7:05 am

main and rod bearing clearance suggestions... (gonna run 20w50)

why is this? do you realize if you setup the clearances properly you can run 10/30 or just 30 wt oil and be less strain on your oil pump and have it take less hp to run the pump? Sad I haven't figured out why everyone thinks 20/50 is the race oil of choice...... Shocked I run 10/30 and with my Kaase pump I keep #72 lbs of psi all thru the rpm range..... never bobbles at all.... and less strain on pumps and I feel it is less drag on bearings also.....

JMHO
Randy

Last edited by the Coug on February 8th 2010, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

zero deck with a460 dome pistons and a few other questions before machining Empty Just ANOTHER opinion!

Post  LivermoreDave February 8th 2010, 9:08 am

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth (a cent or two)!

1. Decking the block. I would wait until pistons and cylinder heads arrive, considering your build is "standard" to parts popular with your build.
2. Lifter bores. Bushing the bores are nice, although not necessary. As to lifter/bore fit, simply use "the feel" or guage them.
3. Bearing clearances. I'm with Coug on this one. I'm not a fan of thick oil in a drag race application. Bearing clearance in the .0025 to .003 area?
4. Hardblock. Definitely helps. Time consuming and a project before ANY maching.
5. The bore you mention is not such a "small bore". Valve size and port volume may be of a concern.
6. Torque plate. Yes.
7. Bearing manufacture. I've had good luck with most, don't know of any advantage of any one manufacture when build is basic.
8. Screw in plugs. A lot of work for nothing, in my opinion. If you do decide to go with "screw-ins", do the job before maching and be cautious of pushing against the barrel while tapping.

Like I said, just my $0.02 or less!

Dave.

Last edited by LivermoreDave on February 9th 2010, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 8th 2010, 12:21 pm

IMO looking at your build, You really should just step up to an eliminator or A460 Block now. I realize its more money but you'll have a much better foundation for when you want more. Plus it gives you the potential for a much bigger bore and more inches now, your buying pistons and putting some good parts into it, why skimp out now?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  138 February 8th 2010, 2:27 pm

Lem and I put end it to this god damn rodeo...a460 block on its way.

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 8th 2010, 3:11 pm

hmmm so this is a Rodeo? you ask questions we try to help! and explain what we see.....You wish to build a high end combo and use parts that are going to be soso at best.....but you come on here and say you know nothing, we have been there....... done that.....

have a nice day

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  138 February 8th 2010, 3:32 pm

no.. the rodeo was on my end... Very Happy I was trying to go big with "so so " parts like you and dfree stated. now I have seen the light and went the route I should of went from the start. and you guys did help. thats why I dumped the stock block foundation, and went with what was correct. did'nt mean to piss ya off coug. dont bail on me now I'm just gettin started.... bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 8th 2010, 3:57 pm

not bailing just some guy's on here want a High end engine and have a smaller than peanut budget and do not wish to listen to reason.... the fact is after you build one of these Torque Monsters it take maintenance and cost to keep up.....Trying to save you money in the long run by going to a better block.....I know it sounds expensive but trust us it is worth it in the end.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 8th 2010, 10:07 pm

Grass Hopper.............. has seen the light. From, the (Lem Master) You listen well sin-say........... study
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 February 10th 2010, 6:24 pm

You are building the almost exact combo i am running and i wish i would have put it in a good block
be cautious on the 0 deck hieght my pistons hit the heads when they were ten in the hole
i seen it and dont know why. I have since went with a 062 head gasket.Also i wish i would have
used diamod pistons .But when you listen to someone else No I can tell you that it makes some power
Twisted Evil i can out run most 555 chevy guys.and i am easy on it ,I run a enderle injection
best money i ever spent .

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 February 10th 2010, 6:28 pm

Oh i forgot if you go to dragraceresults reh morrison explains all about oil wieght and bracket
motors the good thing with heavy oil seems to be better on valve parts and rockers??
i aleays run 10-30 synthetic .To me using heavy oil is like pouring gear oil down a drain
and saying its better than water .Thin oil goes through the motor not just backing up
but what do i know lol!

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  138 February 10th 2010, 6:42 pm

thanks for the info...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum