BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for the old train and union station guys

+3
LivermoreDave
billandlori
Larry T
7 posters

Go down

for the old train and union station guys Empty for the old train and union station guys

Post  Larry T February 8th 2010, 11:23 pm

a friend sent me this link of the jacksonville union station it brought back alot of memories for me.we had a station here in asheville back in the day about 1/3 the size of the one in jacksonville.as kids growing up we use to love going in the station and running across the marble floor then slideing to the other side.man i have had my ass busted moor than once for doing that the old man didnt like his kids acting uncoofed "if ya know what i mean" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jan-lost-jacksonville-union-terminal
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

for the old train and union station guys Empty Re: for the old train and union station guys

Post  billandlori February 9th 2010, 2:31 am

That's cool Larry!! What a place.

It's funny how the folks used to make sure the kids acted "proper" when out in public. Not so much now......

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

for the old train and union station guys Empty Great Pictures of a Great Place!

Post  LivermoreDave February 9th 2010, 8:54 am

Those are nice pictures that bring back many memories, not of Jacksonville's Union Station but some of the local "whistle stops" of my youth! As kids a couple of we"youngsters" loved the trains and the, as we called them, depots. Trains were a every day part of life in the small community I live. We would hop the trains just to ride from one end of town to the other! Stupid, yes but fun! I always looked forward to the last train of the day to pass through. The train passed very close to the property I now reside about midnight most nights. When I could I'd run to the back of property where the tracks were, and watch that huge hunk of steel pass by with amazement while waving at the engineer! The trains have long left my immediate area and I have purchased that railroad right of way many years ago and formed it a bit more suitable to my needs. To this day when I venture to the back of the property I think about those trains and the economy that did support them!

Thanks for the memories,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

for the old train and union station guys Empty Re: for the old train and union station guys

Post  72mav February 9th 2010, 3:30 pm

Larry,
If you like train stations, check the Durand union station in Durand Michigan. Its just down the road from me, and a favorite hang-out for us local rail-buffs. What a place.
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  bcr466 February 13th 2010, 12:55 pm

Read the comments about people wearing hats and it brought to mind that most all the men in the pics were also wearing suits. A far cry from the slobs you see traveling now wearing flip flops, shorts and a tank top. The folks then seemed to have more respect for themselves and others in that respect.

I've been doing a lot of study lately on Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker and even they, while on the run, sleeping on the ground and in the cars were pretty well dressed. Not to mention the fast and famous Ford V8s that Clyde preferred.
bcr466
bcr466

http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori February 13th 2010, 2:02 pm

bcr466 wrote:Read the comments about people wearing hats and it brought to mind that most all the men in the pics were also wearing suits. A far cry from the slobs you see traveling now wearing flip flops, shorts and a tank top. The folks then seemed to have more respect for themselves and others in that respect.

I've been doing a lot of study lately on Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker and even they, while on the run, sleeping on the ground and in the cars were pretty well dressed. Not to mention the fast and famous Ford V8s that Clyde preferred.

Are you planning on a career change?? Laughing Laughing Shocked

Even when you read the letters that they wrote to each other, they used much more gooder language too. Kids these days have a pretty limited vocab.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  bcr466 February 13th 2010, 2:23 pm

Career is over now Bill, retired on Nov. 30. Wish I had enough time left, and money, to pursue what there is left of the history their lives. Most all their kin are gone now. Fasinating reading the memoirs of Blance Barrow and Bille Jean Parker.

Fasinating also that the law found from one of the cars they ambushed, that the 45 cal and machine gun bullets would not penetrate the 32-34 Fords! It took the BAR with steel jackets and that type of weapon.
bcr466
bcr466

http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori February 13th 2010, 7:49 pm

That's cool, enjoy the retirement!!

When I was younger I studied the James/Younger Gang. Quite a bit of mis-information about them!!

I have recently read quite a bit about the Donnely's here in Ontario. They were black-balled by the town folk of Lucan and they abushed them one night and burt most of the family inside their houses. Not a particularly glorious bit of Canadian history......

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper February 13th 2010, 7:58 pm

billandlori wrote:That's cool, enjoy the retirement!!

When I was younger I studied the James/Younger Gang. Quite a bit of mis-information about them!!

I have recently read quite a bit about the Donnely's here in Ontario. They were black-balled by the town folk of Lucan and they abushed them one night and burt most of the family inside their houses. Not a particularly glorious bit of Canadian history......

Bill

The Donnely's.
Had they been born in my era they'd be UFC superstars. I guess the townsfolk had enough of them going into town and beating everyone up and stealing their stuff.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 14th 2010, 2:14 pm

Thanks for the link. I've been past that station in Jax, FL and would've never known what it once was. My grandpa worked for the railroad so I've got a thing for trains too.

One day I'd like to take a train ride across the US. When I was about 8 or 9 my grandmother took all of us grandkids from New Orleans to Washington, DC on Amtrak to visit some family. We were all crammed in a small sleeper cabin, but we had a blast!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum