BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford 8.8 should i buy?

+12
BigBlockRanger
dfree383
bruno
paulie9fingers
tiger
studly
the Coug
Larry T
whatbumper
jones
Tennessee Bullitt
Maddmattmustangs
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Ford 8.8 should i buy? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ford 8.8 should i buy?

Post  jbozzelle Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Will the 8" axles, bearings, etc.... swap straight into a 9" housing if you managed to find one of them?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:43 am

jbozzelle wrote:Will the 8" axles, bearings, etc.... swap straight into a 9" housing if you managed to find one of them?

Im not sure although i have an 8" lol
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Ford 8.8 should i buy? - Page 3 Empty Axles.

Post  fordman460 Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:06 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Will the 8" axles, bearings, etc.... swap straight into a 9" housing if you managed to find one of them?
Yup. The 8 and 9 inch 28 spline axles are the same.
fordman460
fordman460

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Stay with the 9" call moser and get some axles 33 spline go racing.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:02 am

BIGDOG466 wrote:Stay with the 9" call moser and get some axles 33 spline go racing.
Pretty sure nobody makes a locker for 33 spline though.

update on the rearend situtation i found a 72 mach 1 in a salvage yard with a 9" rearend. Ive heard these things arent that strong to begin with. Am i wrong?

Still have the 8.8 but if the price is right i may get the 9 since its a bolt on deal and save the 8.8 for another project/backup rear.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:44 pm

At the power levels you are talking about there is nothing in stock form that is going to handle it. A bone stock 9inch rear with the proper gears for your combo may or may not be as strong as the 8.8 It does have the advantage of not having the the c clips to worry about plus you can easily upgrade to a full boogie center section at any time. The actual housing from the 72 should be fine until you start doing banzai launches with slicks but you will break a lot of other stuff along the way before you get to that.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 pm

bosshoss wrote:At the power levels you are talking about there is nothing in stock form that is going to handle it. A bone stock 9inch rear with the proper gears for your combo may or may not be as strong as the 8.8 It does have the advantage of not having the the c clips to worry about plus you can easily upgrade to a full boogie center section at any time. The actual housing from the 72 should be fine until you start doing banzai launches with slicks but you will break a lot of other stuff along the way before you get to that.

dkp

Im just worried about the casing will i need to brace it up at all?
Im just worried about the case holding out. i have a strange alluminum 3rd member (atleast i think its the strange) aluminum 3rd member with 4.11 gears and a locker setup i picked up at a swap meet with the rollerized C4 i originally thought about using for only 400. figured they could come in handy someday.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:00 pm

If you are using the stock leaf spring setup and some kind of traction bar then you might think about reinforcing the spring pads but the big brace on the back is probably not required until you go to a bigger tire etc. You can only apply so much torque to the housing with the original wheel tubs in place. The tire becomes the limiting factor. If you have the facilitys to check the housing after and make sure it stays straight after the welding the back brace wouldnt hurt but not a neccessity in my opinion at least.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 pm

bosshoss wrote:If you are using the stock leaf spring setup and some kind of traction bar then you might think about reinforcing the spring pads but the big brace on the back is probably not required until you go to a bigger tire etc. You can only apply so much torque to the housing with the original wheel tubs in place. The tire becomes the limiting factor. If you have the facilitys to check the housing after and make sure it stays straight after the welding the back brace wouldnt hurt but not a neccessity in my opinion at least.

dkp

Im going to run caltracs on the back. cars been mini tubed and i dont plan on going any wider than the 11.5" under there now. may go to a 28" tall tire instead of the 26" i have now.

Ive got acess to a full shop that i can bring in my projects and work on them. (im working on welding and automotive degrees at the same time) Very Happy
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:46 pm

When you start dead hooking and pull the front wheels about 3" then and only then I would start to worry
about a 9" with 31 spline axles. I had a 4200lb Cyclone GT with caltracs 31 spl. nod. case only issue I had was with what Bosshoss spoke about the spring perches needed better gussets both sides (rolled them over), broke leave springs and the locker exploded. Went to a spool, had some spring made with extra front lower leave and tied them together (old mopar trick) The caltracs are hard on the front section of spring but they work. That car ran 11.80 with a 466 dove headed motor good ole car won 16k one year with it.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 am

So i should probably start fabbing braces then. guy wanted 75 dollars for the rear Shocked
its in good shape the car had suffered a severe front end collision completely distroying the front half of the car.
pretty much had been picked clean minus the rear and drivshaft. so needless to say i go without lunch money this week lol!

going to pull it apart this afternoon see what spline axles she has and maybe it will work with my 3rd member i have laying around bounce

guess the 8.8 will hold out as a reserve rearend Very Happy
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3