BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford 9" 33 spline axle gears or locker unit?

3 posters

Go down

Ford 9" 33 spline axle gears or locker unit? Empty Ford 9" 33 spline axle gears or locker unit?

Post  Mach1Morgan March 13th 2010, 2:37 am

I have, for my 4 speed 69 Sportsroof Mustang, a nodular 9" inch housing with 2.891 bearings, a 33 spline spool, and matching 33 spline Moser axles. I was originally going to build a mild (11 second) single purpose drag car and use those parts. I've changed my mind slightly in mid-stream and have decided that I want something capable of drag racing but I also want to drive it on the street occasionally. I've driven spool cars on the street and..... well.... no thanks. So now I'm looking for a locker or posi unit compatible with my 33 spline axles. I'd even settle for a pair of 33 spline axle gears to fit inside a stock carrier. I've looked everywhere and can't find a thing, so I'm wondering if anybody knows where I could find anything like that.... or I'm open to other ideas?? Thanks

Mach1Morgan

Back to top Go down

Ford 9" 33 spline axle gears or locker unit? Empty Re: Ford 9" 33 spline axle gears or locker unit?

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 13th 2010, 8:14 am

Mark Williams & Moser carry a 9" 35 spline Detroit Locker, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever offered a 33 spline unit for a 9".
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Ford 9" 33 spline axle gears or locker unit? Empty Re: Ford 9" 33 spline axle gears or locker unit?

Post  Mach1Morgan March 16th 2010, 3:11 am

I know, it seems strange. Everybody sells 28, 31, 33 and 35 spline axles, but only only sell 28, 31, and 35 spline lockers or posi's.... no 33 spline.... can't figure out why??

Mach1Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 16th 2010, 6:12 am

Well it probably has something to do with the fact that the 28 & 31 spline (9" Ford) & 35 spline (Dana 60) are all factory axle spline count profiles.

And when it comes to aftermarket axles, the 33 spline profile would probably have to be a lot more popular than it is for companys to invest money into making a 9" locker for them.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 March 17th 2010, 5:10 pm

I didnt think 33 spline would go into a 2.89 bearing case ??? My nephew has a 66 galaxie
with a 530 its heavy 3600 no driver and he broke a 33 spline locker plus imho lockers suck
for drag racing his car would roll and his lights were all over the place because the locker
took time to lock up.I took it apart and didnt see anything wrong its sitting behind me
im sure he would sell it cheap.

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  Mach1Morgan March 18th 2010, 4:23 am

Yes, I bought a 33 spline spool that will fit a 2.891 case. I had to hunt around a little, but found one. I'm wondering, what is the make or brand of the 33 spline locker that your nephew has? I haven't had problems drag racing with lockers. They usually lock up as soon as you start the burnout and stay locked up. The only time they ever feels like they unlock is if the car gets a little sideways on the burnout and you find yourself turning the car to straighten it out as you leave the water and back off the throttle. If the car burns out straight, any locker I've used, has remained locked up.

Mach1Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down