BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dove's FE Claims

+16
72mav
hotrodmerc
cletus66
jm
schmitty
RJP
chuck stevens
rmcomprandy
Barry_R
bbf-falcon
dfree383
canzus
56Tbird
Diggindeeper
D. Sea
windsor
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dove's FE Claims - Page 2 Empty Re: Dove's FE Claims

Post  jm August 25th 2009, 10:14 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:This car has a 512" FE. It was built by Kuntz&Co. It dyno'ed (I think around 840 on a single 4).He was w/us at Norwalk last month and run a 9.04 off foot brake.

Dove's FE Claims - Page 2 IMG_1661
over 800 hp, wow. what kind of heads was he using. i know a guy around here has a max effort eldelbrocks and all he is getting is 650 Neutral

jm

Back to top Go down

Post  RJP August 26th 2009, 12:14 am

dfree383 wrote:Barry,

What kind of numbers where the gt40 and NASCAR 427 motors laying down back in the day? Real stuff not the bs ratings ford gave them.
The 1966 Le Mans GT40 Program built about 10 engines for the 66 Le Mans effort. The 10 engines ranged from 480 HP to 520 HP and crated up with no indication or markings of which engine made what HP. This was done to prevent the drivers laying claim to the most powerful engine and start inter-team bickering. As it turned out the engine that made the least HP [480] was the engine that won that year, the engine that made the 520 HP never got uncrated. After the 24 hr race the winning engine was dynoed and it made almost 500 HP, picked up almost 20 more HP than when fresh. Need to note here too, the engines were built with a very conservative compression ratio as they had to, by rule, run on French gasoline which was low quality and low octane. When Ford started the 427 Le Mans program they developed a computer program to run on the dyno a complete "Le Mans track circuit" to test the engine. The dyno program loaded the engine to simulate the race track conditions from upshifting, downshifting, straights and turns based on the winning time the Ferrari's did the previous year. The Ford engineeers ran these engines on the dyno track simulator for 48 hours straight. Gives a new meaning to the phrase "Built Ford Tough"

RJP

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 26th 2009, 10:38 am

jm wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:This car has a 512" FE. It was built by Kuntz&Co. It dyno'ed (I think around 840 on a single 4).He was w/us at Norwalk last month and run a 9.04 off foot brake.

Dove's FE Claims - Page 2 IMG_1661
over 800 hp, wow. what kind of heads was he using. i know a guy around here has a max effort eldelbrocks and all he is getting is 650 Neutral

A special set of EDDY'S w/titanium valves and T%D rockers. ported by Kuntz

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  woodmansnj August 26th 2009, 6:04 pm

Around 1978 I bought a 69 Mach 1,it had a 351w,4 spd,but came with 3 FE's,all in peices.But it was enuogh peices to build 1 complete 428 scj.I put it together in my dads shop and sold it to get the money together to get on the road,you know Ins. reg, and general sorting out of my first road worthy hot rod.Well that motor,or should I say beast has been in no less than 6 cars/trucks,beaten unmercilessly by all who had it.That old torque monster would either break the vehicle it was in or cause the driver to break when it got out of control.But it is still running strong today.Last I heard its going in another Mustang,good luck to that guy.Anyway,yes they are a strong and very durable motor,it seems that they are more popular now than back in the day,at least there are way more after market parts available.Way back when,Jack Rousch seemed to be THE man if you wanted real cool stuff,but the prices kept all but the super serious from gettin em.Oh,and I agree about the mopar block comparison,that design is what makes them so durable,throw in some cross bolts,indestructable!!!

woodmansnj

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn August 27th 2009, 11:30 am

rmcomprandy wrote:I think whoever designed the FE block and whoever designed the Chrysler B block must have had lunch together back in their day...

Yeah, there are a few striking similarities aren't there...? I've never done much myself with the FE, but from listening to my Grandpa speak of his old Galaxies with the 406 tri-power and the 427, and of course seeing Barry's continued successes at the EMC, there's no doubt it's a fine engine... And yes, not cheap to build... I would venture to guess the FE and Chrysler BB's are very similar in this area too... Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Dove's FE Claims - Page 2 Empty FE HP

Post  Mark Laczo August 27th 2009, 10:19 pm

JM,
There is a guy in Edmonton, AB that goes by the name Johnny Rocket (Fe head porter can't remember his last name) who built a 472 FE for a guy that hit 710-720hp ish with only 11-1 or so with his max ported Edelbrocks. It was Dyno'd at Pierre Guyon's at DynoPlus in Okotoks.

Guys also on a side note, the Kuntz and Co. guys over on the FE forum are claiming 1012 hp from a 505" FE with some PRO-PORT raw or semi machined heads from Edelbrock, they have to be totally mached to your specs by a competent shop. If you go to the FE forum you will have to scroll back about 4 months or so. Damon did you read that post over too ?

FWIW Mark
Check this link out and decide for yourself.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/message/1242955721/Re-+I+believe+Paul+Adams+422+CI+Edelbrock+head+motor+makes+roughly+944+HP.
Mark Laczo
Mark Laczo

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 28th 2009, 5:05 am

Mark Laczo wrote:JM,
There is a guy in Edmonton, AB that goes by the name Johnny Rocket (Fe head porter can't remember his last name) who built a 472 FE for a guy that hit 710-720hp ish with only 11-1 or so with his max ported Edelbrocks. It was Dyno'd at Pierre Guyon's at DynoPlus in Okotoks.

Guys also on a side note, the Kuntz and Co. guys over on the FE forum are claiming 1012 hp from a 505" FE with some PRO-PORT raw or semi machined heads from Edelbrock, they have to be totally mached to your specs by a competent shop. If you go to the FE forum you will have to scroll back about 4 months or so. Damon did you read that post over too ?

FWIW Mark
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/message/1242955721/Re-+I+believe+Paul+Adams+422+CI+Edelbrock+head+motor+makes+roughly+944+HP.
Kuntz is def. getting some power from the Fe's and the Edelbrocks Shocked

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry_R August 28th 2009, 5:51 am

I've had a couple street usable - but marginal -high riser headed 12.5:1 520 inch FEs go 767 and 771 horsepower. Both had good heads and dual fours on a port matched cast intake.

Barry_R

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea August 28th 2009, 7:54 am

Mark Laczo wrote:JM,

FWIW Mark

Mark,

I haven't read the thread you mention but did read through the cammer build by Jay.

Thanks
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  moparman September 2nd 2009, 11:24 pm

1bad521 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:I think whoever designed the FE block and whoever designed the Chrysler B block must have had lunch together back in their day...

Yeah, there are a few striking similarities aren't there...? I've never done much myself with the FE, but from listening to my Grandpa speak of his old Galaxies with the 406 tri-power and the 427, and of course seeing Barry's continued successes at the EMC, there's no doubt it's a fine engine... And yes, not cheap to build... I would venture to guess the FE and Chrysler BB's are very similar in this area too... Very Happy

Doug... Cool

Actually the big mopars aren't that horribly priced anymore. Good cylinder heads are still pricey but the Victors are helping in that area. As for the FE's being the best engine to come out of detroit, well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
moparman
moparman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2