BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help! power glide

4 posters

Go down

help! power glide Empty help! power glide

Post  dr's wife racing May 4th 2010, 10:45 am

Was getting my car ready for t and t when I got ready to move it out of the shop I decided to test the trans brake When I engauged it ,it made a chattering sound and the brake is very slow to engauge seems to do fine in reverse but I'm not postive of that. It is a fresh rebuild by a local builder who has a good rep. but I can't get up with him due to to his main job. It is a j.w. case 5500 ptc 9.5 inch conv has a pro brake in it .this is the same set up I ran last yr. I checked for correct shifter postioning [it is going all the way in low]the fluid level is correct. the solenoid seems to be working,it has low and second gear and shifts ok on jack stands i'll take back reverse. being ok it seemed weak. 1st seemed ok as far I could tell. i think there is a problem in the valae body or trans brake.I don't know a lot about power glides and there is no many people arond here that do. I would be thankfull for any help! still trying to make the bash!
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

help! power glide Empty Re: help! power glide

Post  David Cole May 4th 2010, 7:48 pm

I just talked to Ward. Not good. Pulled the pan. Pieces of what appears to be the thrust bearing in the pan. Looks like the builder screwed up. 0 passes on it.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs May 4th 2010, 7:50 pm

That sucks, I hope the guy stands behind it.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

help! power glide Empty glide

Post  dr's wife racing May 5th 2010, 10:13 am

It appears terminal . The bearing at the fromt of the planatery slipped out of the cup it rides in on install. I act took it bake before we installed it because I thought it was too tight 'they said it was ok so we put it in. we pulled it and tore it down last night the bearing is toast the planetary is broken the input shaft is all scared up and something is hung up in the trans brake needless to say ther is metal all over the place. I got in contact with the builder he said he will take care of it even if I want to take it somewhere else. So Flop is takeing it to another builder today We'll see
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr May 5th 2010, 10:17 am

Sorry to here about your troubles, hopefully you'll be bash ready in time?! That really sucks!! I was planning on testing before the bash but with all the rain Tenn/Tucky got, looks like the adjustments on the chassis will be tested on friday at the bash. Hope ya get her going Ward

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down