BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBF with Glide - Converter Spacing Issues - Need Help

+2
cool40
gryphon68
6 posters

Go down

BBF with Glide - Converter Spacing Issues - Need Help Empty BBF with Glide - Converter Spacing Issues - Need Help

Post  gryphon68 May 28th 2010, 10:24 pm

Trying to figure out what is going on with my combination. As the transmission is tightened down to the engine the converter feet are bottoming out on the flexplate leaving zero (or less) thrust clearance.

The converter was purchased as previously owned . . . was previously behind a BBC w/ a 0.090" midplate and a powerglide. Previous owner also ran approx 3/16" thrust clearance.

My Combo:
Big Block Ford
0.090" Steel Mid Plate
JW Wheel 93001
Powerglide with a JW 92454 Ultra Bell

Measurements:
Flexplate (converter mounting surface) to Rear Face of Block 1.058"
Less 0.090" midplate thickness gives 0.968" flexplate to Rear Face of MidPlate

Front Face of Bell to Converter Mounting Pads: 0.900"
Yes, the converter was ALL THE WAY IN. Three steps . . . .

Measurements seem to indicate 0.068" interference. To get 3/16" thrust clearance the converter would need to be 0.255" shorter at the converter mounting feet. Why would a converter that worked on a BBC need to be modified this much behind a BBF with JW Bell and Flexplate??

JW stated that converter should be 6.150" snout to pump neck with length added for midplate thickness, my understanding is that this is STANDARD GM LENGTH??. I'm not exactly sure how this is measured, but my quick measurement seemed to indicate my converter is 6.5+" long. The converter is clearly stamped as +0.125", presumably length. but this would still seem to indicate that my measurment is 0.225" longer than the JW spec. (6.150+0.125=6.275")

This is not a JW converter, I was unable to speak to the the converter maker today, apparently they were closed for a race or extended holiday weekend. I am by no means blaming anybody for something I bought used, only trying to determine why I am seeing this unexpected issue and how to best address it.

If you see anything in my numbers that looks incorrect or needs further investigation please let me know. If any other information about the combo would be helpful in diagnosing the issue would be helpful, I can try to provide those details as well.

gryphon68

Back to top Go down

BBF with Glide - Converter Spacing Issues - Need Help Empty Re: BBF with Glide - Converter Spacing Issues - Need Help

Post  cool40 May 28th 2010, 11:01 pm

i dont know about a bbc spacing on the flywheel/converter but i do know most converters are not the same,as in clearance.i had an 8"in my glide and needed a 9"so i called the folks who had just built my reid p/g and converter and told them what i wanted and they built me a 9".got it and went to swap it out and guess what Shocked i went from useing a .090 washer between the converter and f/w with .125 clearance to no .090 washer and only about .095 clearance.they told me how good they were at getting those converters on spec,yada yada b/s.i went so far as a 3/16 spacer between the bell and trans with my old c4 setup to make a converter work.the best shot you have at getn it the way you need it is tell them how much you need took out so they have something to shoot for cuz you never know what youll get back otherwise.i bet you'll have extra clearance when you get it back.good luck Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

BBF with Glide - Converter Spacing Issues - Need Help Empty Re: BBF with Glide - Converter Spacing Issues - Need Help

Post  BIGDOG466 June 3rd 2010, 6:42 pm

BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 3rd 2010, 7:08 pm

Is the flex plate on the right way?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss June 3rd 2010, 8:26 pm

I run the same combo. I use a .100 midplate and the stock block plate so the starter will stay lined up. I have run several different converters, 8" and 9" from at least two manufacturers. All are stock GM dimension as far as I know. I did have some issues with the nose of one of them being to long but the pads are good.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 3rd 2010, 11:00 pm

sounds like you dont have the converter all the way seated in the pump.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum