BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how much room should i leave for roller rockers

5 posters

Go down

how much room should i leave for roller rockers Empty how much room should i leave for roller rockers

Post  bronco June 3rd 2010, 5:51 pm

which feeler guage do you guys use for clearance on the roller tips, the book says to leave .020 on a solid lifter. is that about what i should leave using roller rockers?just having a little trouble keeping the roller tips on the valve tip and was wondering if i was leaving too much.

bronco

Back to top Go down

how much room should i leave for roller rockers Empty Re: how much room should i leave for roller rockers

Post  dfree383 June 3rd 2010, 6:18 pm

Sounds like you have some bigger issues than lash. What rockers and pushrod legnth are you running? What heads?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

how much room should i leave for roller rockers Empty Re: how much room should i leave for roller rockers

Post  bronco June 3rd 2010, 10:49 pm

dfree383 wrote:Sounds like you have some bigger issues than lash. What rockers and pushrod legnth are you running? What heads?
dave, i am running crane golds with 8.550 pushrods. dove-c heads.3/8 pushrods. think the rods are too short maybe???
deck is 10.322. D1VE

Last edited by bronco on June 3rd 2010, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 4th 2010, 9:21 pm

What ratio crane golds? Are they running off the front or rear of the valve? Did you have the pedistal machined down?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco June 4th 2010, 9:48 pm

dfree383 wrote:What ratio crane golds? Are they running off the front or rear of the valve? Did you have the pedistal machined down?
1.7 ratio. dont know what you mean by front or rear. Embarassed sorry. and the heads are pretty much bone stock except for the springs and rollers. ddnt have the pedestal machined down.do the doves need the pedestal machined down to run rockers? if they do i didnt know that.i have to run them until i get my cobra jet heads finished.probably take all summer. :roll:i set them at 20 thou thismorning.hope it isnt too much.thanks dave. kyle

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 4th 2010, 9:55 pm

Problem you have is a chevy rocker and not machining the pedistals down the the thickness if the guide plates, you kinda have a double wammy.

.020 lash is pretty typical and should be decent.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty June 4th 2010, 9:58 pm

The 1.7's should work. They aren't ideal, but I actually used them also for a little while. The geometry is way off compared to Ford specific rockers. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco June 4th 2010, 10:00 pm

ok, thanks dave,so when i have the heads apart again i will have them machined down, and i guess i better invest in some 1.73 rockers.is it affecting the perfomance of the engine very badly or is it simply putting my valvetrain out of geometry.thanks again. kyle

Last edited by bronco on June 4th 2010, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad grammer.lol)

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty June 4th 2010, 10:04 pm

Yes it will affect the performance if the the wrong ratio rockers are used. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 4th 2010, 10:06 pm

X2 both are effected
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco June 4th 2010, 10:08 pm

schmitty wrote:Yes it will affect the performance if the the wrong ratio rockers are used. Cool
well one thing to look forward to schmitty is this thing should really kick some chevy butt around here if i get it straightened out right Wink
kyle

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer June 5th 2010, 1:48 am

All rockers are not created equal... some 1.7 rockers will work better than others to get your geometry more correct. What brand, p/n rockers, effective stud length, and pushrod length are you using... there is more to it than just the fact that you are using 1.7 rockers.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco June 5th 2010, 10:56 am

i have a picture of the correct position of the rocker tip at top and at full compresion, problem is it is on the old computer.and i cant remember where i stumbled upon it, but i am looking.i dont have the part number for the crane gold rockers.thats all i know about them as i bought them used.would a stud girdle help??
and if i use a stud girdle do i take the guide plates out? dumb questions i know but.thanks guys.kyle

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper June 5th 2010, 11:26 am

Are you terrorizing the streets, err....street of whitney with that bronco? Laughing
i'll have to look you up next time I make the journey down there
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco June 5th 2010, 10:16 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:Are you terrorizing the streets, err....street of whitney with that bronco? Laughing
i'll have to look you up next time I make the journey down there
lol. i don venture out onto the street with the bronc. heat score.just ask at the shell for kyle.

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down