BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added

+3
Nevs
Race Ready Fabrications
billandlori
7 posters

Go down

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added Empty Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added

Post  billandlori July 5th 2010, 3:29 am

So, I was under the T-Bird yesterday trying to put a plan together for some sub-frame connectors. I have looked at all the other sub-frame threads for the Mustangs but the T-Bird looks as though the rear seat foot well is lower. The wheel base is also a bit longer, I think the diff is in the back seat area.

The way the floor is I don't think under-floor connectors would be good, too low. Has anyone put through the floor connectors on one of these?

Front s-f:
Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added 100_3190

Rear foot well:
Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added 100_3187

Rear s-f:
Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added 100_3188

This cross member goes right across the car just behind the rear foot well:
Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added 100_3189

I have access to a pair of slicks to go to the track but I don't wan't to twist this thing all up!!

Thanks!!

Bill

Last edited by billandlori on July 5th 2010, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Pics)
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added Empty Re: Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added

Post  Race Ready Fabrications July 5th 2010, 4:00 pm

I've never done a t-bird but it looks like a 2x3 through the floor connector would be your best bet. A lot more work but well worth it.
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added Empty Re: Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added

Post  billandlori July 5th 2010, 6:34 pm

Thanks! Do you run 2x3 all the way or drop it down to 2x2 at the front?

If I run through the floor, I won't even have to cut through the floor at the rear footwell.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs July 5th 2010, 6:48 pm

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:I've never done a t-bird but it looks like a 2x3 through the floor connector would be your best bet. A lot more work but well worth it.

I agree, 2X3 is the way to go. A lot easier to overbuild than to underbuild........
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 5th 2010, 7:46 pm

Nevs wrote:
Race Ready Fabrications wrote:I've never done a t-bird but it looks like a 2x3 through the floor connector would be your best bet. A lot more work but well worth it.

I agree, 2X3 is the way to go. A lot easier to overbuild than to underbuild........

Good point Nev's!!

I guess I should build in such a way that a roll bar can be added.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 5th 2010, 10:45 pm

On one end of the scale a car without a roll bar/cage of any kind really does need all the help the beefier 2x3 through-floor connector tubing will give. As you add some kind of a roll bar/cage you can reduce the size of the sub frame connector material a given amount (if you want to).

At the other end of the scale if you add a full SFI cage, the smaller round tubing (1-1/2 x .108 ms or 1-1/2 x .065 cm) will get the job done just fine for the inner frame rails/sub frame connectors.

All that damn undercoating is going to be "fun" to deal with. Mad Laughing
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 5th 2010, 10:54 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:On one end of the scale a car without a roll bar/cage of any kind really does need all the help the beefier 2x3 through-floor connector tubing will give. As you add some kind of a roll bar/cage you can reduce the size of the sub frame connector material a given amount (if you want to).

At the other end of the scale if you add a full SFI cage, the smaller round tubing (1-1/2 x .108 ms or 1-1/2 x .065 cm) will get the job done just fine for the inner frame rails/sub frame connectors.

All that damn undercoating is going to be "fun" to deal with. Mad Laughing

Yeah, the engine bay was covered in it too. Too days of scrubbing and power washing to get it all out. It is just oil, not the tar stuff so its not tooooo bad.

The car never gets enough traction with street tires to hurt itself, but I'm afraid if I add slicks into the mix it will twist for sure.

Thanks for the info Dave!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 6th 2010, 9:39 pm

2x3 in the back and drop it down to some 2x2 as soon as it passes under the front of the driver's floor. Make it run all the way into the firewall. The 2x2 will barely sit above the floor and the carpet will cover it nicely. If you do it right you can run the 2x3 all the way back and actually tie into one of the lower control arm bolts...

The 2x2 in the front and 2x3 in the rear will make nice places to weld outriggers between there and the rocker when you add the cage...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 6th 2010, 10:17 pm

jbozzelle wrote:2x3 in the back and drop it down to some 2x2 as soon as it passes under the front of the driver's floor. Make it run all the way into the firewall. The 2x2 will barely sit above the floor and the carpet will cover it nicely. If you do it right you can run the 2x3 all the way back and actually tie into one of the lower control arm bolts...

The 2x2 in the front and 2x3 in the rear will make nice places to weld outriggers between there and the rocker when you add the cage...

Thanks John, that sounds like a good plan. The 2x3 tubing will be ABOVE the floor pan in the rear foot well area, so no hope of covering that with carpet!!

I am hoping this thing NEEDS a roll bar!! I have priced out 6/8 point roll bars from C/E and AutoWeld and Alliston Chassis Works. All seem to be similar in price. I may as well go ahead and build in the outriggers at the same time.

I got a price of around $1,500 to $1,800 for an installed custom bent 6 point MS roll bar.

I appreciate the input guys!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 6th 2010, 10:22 pm

The rears on my 78 Futura were above the footwell too. I used the 2x2 up front because the taller 2x3 would interfere with your feet. Are you going to cut open the top of the front subframe and lay the 2x2 in there?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs July 6th 2010, 10:27 pm

Carpet=weight........think race car!!!!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 6th 2010, 10:36 pm

jbozzelle wrote:The rears on my 78 Futura were above the footwell too. I used the 2x2 up front because the taller 2x3 would interfere with your feet. Are you going to cut open the top of the front subframe and lay the 2x2 in there?

Yep I think that would get the best welds too.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 6th 2010, 10:37 pm

Nevs wrote:Carpet=weight........think race car!!!!

Ha!! Street car too!!! Well, you can't hear the radio anyway. Might look at some bed-liner. My Fairmont was just painted black inside.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added Empty connectors

Post  70429scj July 8th 2010, 5:02 am

Just for thought Kenny Brown used to offer bolt in connectors that worked pretty good. Any chance you know what master cylinder to use when converting a 88 bird to manual brakes instead of power?
Thanks,
Steve
70429scj
70429scj

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams July 8th 2010, 10:04 am

call karbelt for a quote on an 8 pt roll cage kit. i was surprised at how cheap they are. they are cut and notched just need welding. I have a pair on Mt slicks 28 x 15 x 10.5 with 3/4 rubber left you can have. I may have a set of older welds for you too. I updated both rims and rubber this year. Call me with dimensions and I will take them to the track some time for you.

Larry

billandlori wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:2x3 in the back and drop it down to some 2x2 as soon as it passes under the front of the driver's floor. Make it run all the way into the firewall. The 2x2 will barely sit above the floor and the carpet will cover it nicely. If you do it right you can run the 2x3 all the way back and actually tie into one of the lower control arm bolts...

Thanks John, that sounds like a good plan. The 2x3 tubing will be ABOVE the floor pan in the rear foot well area, so no hope of covering that with carpet!!

I am hoping this thing NEEDS a roll bar!! I have priced out 6/8 point roll bars from C/E and AutoWeld and Alliston Chassis Works. All seem to be similar in price. I may as well go ahead and build in the outriggers at the same time.

I got a price of around $1,500 to $1,800 for an installed custom bent 6 point MS roll bar.

I appreciate the input guys!!

Bill
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 8th 2010, 11:49 am

Larry Williams wrote:call karbelt for a quote on an 8 pt roll cage kit. i was surprised at how cheap they are. they are cut and notched just need welding. I have a pair on Mt slicks 28 x 15 x 10.5 with 3/4 rubber left you can have. I may have a set of older welds for you too. I updated both rims and rubber this year. Call me with dimensions and I will take them to the track some time for you.

Larry

That's very generous of you Larry!!

When is a good time to call?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams July 8th 2010, 1:56 pm

i will be home all evening tonite. there is a possibility that I will take my daughter and her dragster to st thomas this weekend for test and tune. let me know what back space and bolt circle you need
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 8th 2010, 5:44 pm

Larry Williams wrote:i will be home all evening tonite. there is a possibility that I will take my daughter and her dragster to st thomas this weekend for test and tune. let me know what back space and bolt circle you need

I'll give you a call tonight.

I didn't know that St Thomas was still open!! I love that track, haven't been there in years. Haven't had anything to run Crying or Very sad

I just have an 8.8 rear in it so, the bolt pattern is 4 on 4 1/4". The back space needs to be around 4 1/2" to 4 3/4" max. The diff is out of a Mustang so its about 2" narrower than the Thunderbird diff. This sets the wheels into the wheel well a bit.

Talk to you later.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 8th 2010, 10:54 pm

Sorry Larry, we got stuck at a job longer than expected. Figured you would prolly be heading for bed soon. I'll try giving you a call tomorrow night if that's OK.

Thanks,
Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 11th 2010, 12:00 pm

Bill,

here's some pics of the SFCs in my Futura. Should give you a good idea of how they will look.

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added DSC00008-3

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added DSC00009-2

In this pic you'll see the outline of the 2x3 that was welded and pushed into the rear frame structure. We also welded all of the torque boxes up as well as the upper mounts...

Thunderbird Sub-Frame Connectors - Pics Added SFCs

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 11th 2010, 12:02 pm

Nice job John!! That looks reall solid there.

Thanks for the pics, they help a bunch!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down