BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Sub-Frame Question!!!

4 posters

Go down

Another Sub-Frame Question!!! Empty Another Sub-Frame Question!!!

Post  billandlori July 11th 2010, 4:17 am

I was talking with a buddy who races a C/SA Camaro.

He did a full rotiserie(sp) resto on it and he only used a roll bar, no SFC's. He felt the new solid floor was strong enough. Now, he only runs a 350/350 in it so big block torque will be a factor.

I am thinking that the SFC's would add quite a bit more to the structure. Is this correct?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Another Sub-Frame Question!!! Empty Re: Another Sub-Frame Question!!!

Post  bosshoss July 11th 2010, 8:52 am

What year camaro? The early ones have that bolt in front subrame so I am thinking the frame connector would be a huge factor there. The newer ones are complete unibodies I think so less gain, in my opinion. Not sure about the new pan being stronger than original but even the original stuff flexed a lot so why would he expect it to be better than new after cutting everything out and welding new stuff in?

When my body guy did my 67 Mustang on the rotisserie we added a Mustangs Plus floor reinforcing kit. It included a bunch or reinforcing plates and an extra box section that welded in to the bottom of the rocker box full length. No traditional frame connector required. This is a street car so no roll bar and it is noticeably stiffer than stock.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 11th 2010, 11:51 am

Back in 1996 I had full SFCs and a full cage (bumper to bumper) put in my 78 Futura (first Fox chassis). It picked up 2 tenths in ET from the newly stiffened chassis.... For the 2 years prior the car slowed down ET wise and me and my Dad couldn't figure it out. We did after that next trip to the track...

So, I'd say the SFCs and cage, or bar, will help!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 11th 2010, 11:57 am

It is a 1968 Camaro he has. Not sure what he is thinking......I guess the roll bar adds some stiffness, but he may be leaving quite a bit on the table.

Two tenths can be hard to come by!! That is quite an improvement John!!

Thanks for the input again!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 11th 2010, 6:10 pm

If he has a bar in it I doubt that subframe connectors will make that much of a difference. I had a 8pt bar in my pinto before I put in the SF connectors and I didn't really notice any difference but then I am not an A+ HeRo racer either. It is just a street car/occasional strip car.

Here is a good little thread about SFC and actual measurement to see how little they helped as far as twist goes.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23278
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 11th 2010, 6:47 pm

jasonf wrote:If he has a bar in it I doubt that subframe connectors will make that much of a difference. I had a 8pt bar in my pinto before I put in the SF connectors and I didn't really notice any difference but then I am not an A+ HeRo racer either. It is just a street car/occasional strip car.

Here is a good little thread about SFC and actual measurement to see how little they helped as far as twist goes.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23278

That's some interesting reading!! Seems to make a big diff based on application.

I want to have swing out door bars on the cage so I think maybe the SFCs will be a good idea.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down