BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday

3 posters

Go down

think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday Empty think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday

Post  bronco July 11th 2010, 5:23 pm

the truck was flooded a bit so i held it to the floor.and when it started it revved to about 3000 or so.and it has a tappity tap now.damn i was hoping to get the summer out of it till the other one was finished. so i am parked until the other motor is finished i think.gonna pull the pan this week to see for sure. but i scrached one bearing just a tiny bit when i was putting it in and they ranged from 2.5 thousandths to 2.9. or so i read on the plastgauge. this was the first engine i have ever built by myself with my friend kinda watching over my shoulder. so i got two years out of it. and i rebearinged it this spring, that is when i scratched the bearing. i got 5 runs out of it this year. it is the one that is leaking airbubbles into the rad so it was on its way out.
atleast it was a very low budget build.
kyle

Last edited by bronco on July 27th 2010, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

bronco

Back to top Go down

think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday Empty Re: think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday

Post  nuclearcobra July 12th 2010, 6:58 am

scratch bearings and airbubbles...... wat u mean ? and that tappity tap might be a lifter
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday Empty Re: think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday

Post  deerhunter3814 July 12th 2010, 12:23 pm

Or bent push rod.
deerhunter3814
deerhunter3814

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco July 12th 2010, 4:36 pm

i went thru the lifters 3 times. they were all good. i hope i am wrong though.but i dont think so.

bronco

Back to top Go down

think i spun a bearing in the truck yesterday Empty update

Post  bronco July 27th 2010, 8:32 pm

i got the motor out tonite finally and number 3 and 7 rod bearings are loose. i will be replacing the crank in this and using this engine in a 6x6 we are buying this summer.
does anyone have any ideas as to what would have caused this or probably just novice install on the bearings.(me being the novice) Laughing
it is a dove head,standard bore with stock crank and rods and a set of hyper flat top pistons, comp cam around 521 lift. torquer cam. no water was in the oil when i drained it, i change the oil every 2nd run.using a rear sump oil pan from a truck. 9 quarts i think.stock oil pump and pickup.i checked clearance on the bearings with plastigauge and i read between 2.5 and 2.9 thousandths. ran 15w 40 oil. i think the damage was done in the pit and not at the garage like i had previosly thought because the truck would not crank over when it got hot, hot as in 190. thought i had a bad battery but both batteries tested out fine.
i run the engine around 52-5400 max rpm.
thank you. kyle r

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco July 27th 2010, 8:39 pm

nuclearcobra wrote: scratch bearings and airbubbles...... wat u mean ? and that tappity tap might be a lifter
Laughing
i replaced the bearings myself this spring, first timer.
the rad has had airbubbles in it since last fall, thought it was a head or head gasket but i changed both and still had these tiny little bubbles coming out the rad filler cap.but not getting any water back in the oil or ontop of any pistons. so must be a warped deck or something else.
and the tappity tap turned into a knockity knock fast.

bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down