BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internal vs External balancing

5 posters

Go down

Internal vs External balancing Empty Internal vs External balancing

Post  bigblockfox468 July 12th 2010, 9:20 am

I know this should've been put in the engine section but there's more traffic here.

Tell me the pro's and con's. Are there limiting performance factors? Or "anything" that somebody should be aware of, of one balancing option over the other. I think I know the obvious but I want to make sure. Give me you're opinions and or thoughts.
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Internal vs External balancing Empty Re: Internal vs External balancing

Post  the Coug July 12th 2010, 9:29 am

Mike I have run both internal and external and could not tell a flippin thing different either way.......

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 12th 2010, 9:54 am

If your rpm range is low to moderate the external balance will be fine. Those with HeRo engines will need to internal balance Wink

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 12th 2010, 11:17 am

Externally balancing an engine in the FRONT and and rear then using it consistantly in the high RPM ranges will tend to put excessive stress on the crank snout; mostly because it is simply hangin' out there in the wind.
Externally balancing the engine in the rear ONLY seems to have no detrimental effects at all, as long as the counterbalance factor is not more than 30 in/oz. More than that amount of counterweight will usually tend to show-up with abnormal wear in the #4 main bearing at very high RPM limits.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 July 12th 2010, 5:23 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Externally balancing an engine in the FRONT and and rear then using it consistantly in the high RPM ranges will tend to put excessive stress on the crank snout; mostly because it is simply hangin' out there in the wind.
Externally balancing the engine in the rear ONLY seems to have no detrimental effects at all, as long as the counterbalance factor is not more than 30 in/oz. More than that amount of counterweight will usually tend to show-up with abnormal wear in the #4 main bearing at very high RPM limits.

This is an engine I am doing for him, 528 inch SCJ aluminum heads , solid flat tappet , bowl ported, flat top pistons around 13:1 compression. 276-286 on a 110 sep . Probably shift around 6500.

It has the Ford 514 crate engine crank in it that Kieth Sherry ran. 2.5 inch rod pin, 4.30 stroke.
With the stock length 6.605 H beam rods and flat top pistons it will require six pieces of mallory 3 on each end 1 inch in dia.

Let me know if you want any more info.............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 12th 2010, 7:19 pm

This is the deal i.m.o.
The FRPP crate 521" were external balance and seem to work fine. I suspect that the combo Blake post will be fine ext. bal. The combo that Randy posted about doing the rear only ext. deal darn sure will.
14/1 , $1,000 port job , 284* @ .050" dur. intake lobe on billet roller cam and shifted @ 7,200 rpm would be another thang. J.M.O.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 July 14th 2010, 7:41 am

Thanks Guys Idea !! Wink
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down