BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four

+10
Doug Rahn
c.evans
RGL
96Mustang460cid
Bsherry
Nevs
Lem Evans
richter69
dfree383
bruno
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four Empty Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four

Post  bruno August 24th 2009, 6:39 pm

so after looking at different manifolds for the c-heads , i saw a couple of fabricated Tunnel Rams with a single carb set up ...but i would think that the FRPP cast manifold would be a better piece ....it seems like the end runners on the Tunnel ram are so far away that they would cause a lean condition and that if you do go with a TR you would be better off going to a 2 carb deal ......... so what do you guys think

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four Empty Re: Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four

Post  dfree383 August 24th 2009, 6:45 pm

Does your wife know about all of this yet ......???? Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four Empty Re: Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four

Post  richter69 August 24th 2009, 7:00 pm

My little budies C headed deal just has the one carb and 3 foggers..........the carb is to drive it to the lanes, make the burnout, and drive back to the pits.............all them nozzels make the pass.

IMO single carb is simpler, cheaper, lighter. Dual carb will make a bit more power on motor, but not sure if its worth it with all the spray.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 24th 2009, 7:10 pm

Back in the 60's....they said "with dope there is hope".....2009...."with spray there is a way" cyclops

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 24th 2009, 7:26 pm

richter69 wrote:My little budies C headed deal just has the one carb and 3 foggers..........the carb is to drive it to the lanes, make the burnout, and drive back to the pits.............all them nozzels make the pass.

IMO single carb is simpler, cheaper, lighter. Dual carb will make a bit more power on motor, but not sure if its worth it with all the spray.

tr or cast ?

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 24th 2009, 9:11 pm

TR = lots of $$$$$, I'd get the motor together with a single 4 and add the TR later.... You should be able th get 1100 with a single and a no2 hit = bunch more. YouR going to need a car to put the motor in even at the entry level..... Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 24th 2009, 9:23 pm

You could buy Charlies C head to A head intake adapters. With a ported Trick Flow tunnel ram and adapters, you will be right about 1K, give or take a few bucks. Of course, then you'll need two carbs as well... Laughing Laughing Exclamation
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 24th 2009, 9:31 pm

let me rephrase the question again Very Happy ......... if the client wants to use a single carb and he has a choice between a tr and the cast manifold which is better ??........ to me the design of the cast manifold looks like it has better distribution and the single carb TR looks like it would have problem with fuel dist. on the corners.

what do you guys think .......

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 24th 2009, 9:43 pm

If I remember correctly, the A460 tunnel ram with the pent roof single four top was superior to the cast single four intake. Seems to me Charlie did some testing and I believe that was the case. The single four C 460 manifold is a nice piece though and might be the best choice for your deal, Nick. Doesn't require adapters and is certainly the cheaper route. I'm not a "juice" guy so, I tend to think two carbs and a tunnel ram. It's whatever you want, it just takes money Exclamation Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Bsherry August 25th 2009, 2:49 am

If you use 2 carbs, does that make it easier to adjust the "longer" runs so that they don't get lean?

With two carbs you can put 8 jets in it and "balance" A/F for each cylinder?

What do you think??

Bruce
Bsherry
Bsherry
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 25th 2009, 7:14 am

Bsherry wrote:If you use 2 carbs, does that make it easier to adjust the "longer" runs so that they don't get lean?

With two carbs you can put 8 jets in it and "balance" A/F for each cylinder?

What do you think??

Bruce

Seems to be the case, in my experience. I'm considering splits on my new build to position the carbs for even better distribution. We shall see... Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 25th 2009, 7:21 am

No dought in my mind a properly designed sheet metal ram and 2x4 is the superior set-up if you have the budget and room to fit every thing. On another note it does add additional weight......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid August 26th 2009, 8:10 am

One reason I believe a sheetmetal TR will outperform a cast intake is harmonics (runner length). The sheetmetal TR will have equal runner lengths and runner lengths that are tuned for your exact engine combo. It's very similar to equal length headers...just on the intake side Smile.

I'm going sheetmetal TR on my low RPM build. When I get it dynod, I expect to see reasonable gains over my 'tuning window'.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  RGL August 26th 2009, 6:45 pm

I have not fooled with the tfs TR before, but i'd be intrested in how much CSA there is available at the runner entry in the plenum, or how big can it physically go before welding,ect ? runner lenghts would also be nice too.

Last edited by RGL on August 26th 2009, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
RGL
RGL

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 26th 2009, 6:55 pm

Don't have exact dimensions, but I know the TFS tunnelram will port match to Charlies cnc'd C 460 heads.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 26th 2009, 8:46 pm

so how much taller from the top of my carb now is it going to raise if i go with a sing carb tr ??

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 26th 2009, 8:49 pm

Your gonna need a big scoop Nick............ Laughing

They are ok, driving through the pits kinda suck though, really got to pay attention as you can see anything on the other side of the thing lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans August 26th 2009, 9:49 pm

RGL wrote:I have not fooled with the tfs TR before, but i'd be intrested in how much CSA there is available at the runner entry in the plenum, or how big can it physically go before welding,ect ? runner lenghts would also be nice too.

The new style TFS A-460 tunnel ram has really thick walls. Probally on the order of .250"+. I have never seen anybody have to weld the outside of the runners, in order to physically port them larger. I would say if a guy did have to weld the outside of the runners, then he probally screwed up somewhere in his porting efforts. It's a very good manifold, and on the old forum we saw where Frank Merkl made 1440? Hp with his 572 CID C-460 headed engine, my adapter plates, and the TFS A-460 tunnel ram intake maniold, on spray.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  RGL August 26th 2009, 11:41 pm

thanks Mr evans , i had never seen one in person , just wanted to know if it had enough meat in it to put 30%ish taper into the runner for some profilers , sounds like it might have it
RGL
RGL

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans August 27th 2009, 12:16 am

RGL wrote:thanks Mr evans , i had never seen one in person , just wanted to know if it had enough meat in it to put 30%ish taper into the runner for some profilers , sounds like it might have it

Well, IMO a 30% taper is a little too much. I think Darin Morgan at ProFiler would agree with me on that. I have been encouraging both Darin and Micheal Greene at ProFiler to make a dedicated tunnel ram intake manifold for their Ford 205 heads. I've been doing it for about 1.5 years, and honestly they haven't shown too much interest. So, I do make an adapter set to put the TFS tunnel ram 2 X 4 intake manifold on the ProFiler # 205 heads. You need to realize that the ProFiler ports are raised +.200" over the Ford C-460 heads. Therefore this adapter plate has to be thicker, than the C-460 adapter plates like what Nevs has. I presently have two sets of them in stock, (along with taller china wall spacers) and ready to ship. Note, that because they are thicker, they are heavier.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn August 29th 2009, 6:48 pm

Nick, the single four pentroof top is actually taller than 2x4 like I have, so you would have to have a scoop at least as big as mine.

Comparing Sheetmetal Tunnel Ram to cast single Four BobbySmall006Small
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  fstrthnu373 May 8th 2011, 12:56 pm

sorry to bring an old thread back up but how does the tfs tunnel ram with singal carb do as far as cylinder distribution, are the egts close cylinder to cylinder or does it starve the outer four?
fstrthnu373
fstrthnu373

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans May 8th 2011, 2:11 pm

We did the dyno testing for TFS using the pent roof top on George and Carl Keown's 572 TFS A-460 headed engine. That was several years ago, but I do remember that the EGT's were very consistent for all 8 cylinders and showed absolutely no fuel distribution problems. I gave copies of the dyno pulls with both the 2 X 4 top and the pent roof top to Ron and Mark at TFS.

Hope this helps,
Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams May 8th 2011, 4:36 pm

no one has answered the original question yet. how much taller than a cast manifold is a tunnel ram manifold? I am curious now too lol
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 8th 2011, 7:11 pm

The adapters and the TFS cast tunnel ram for the "A" heads fit the "C" heads very well after a bit of port matching.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next