BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you tell if your 6AL is going out?

+3
Bigshank
Wheelie58
Ed501
7 posters

Go down

How do you tell if your 6AL is going out? Empty How do you tell if your 6AL is going out?

Post  Ed501 August 31st 2010, 3:03 am

Sometime 2 step acts up now hitting whats seems to be rev limiter at 5500 rpms. Next time i am going to close gap on plugs to around 25 thousands and see if it will pull higher. First pass was a 6.26 at 114 in 93 degrees humid day and cutting out before shifts?? Left at 3000 rpms on brake and ran a 1.332 60ft. I feel some 5.99s coming, still need to make air trap for cowl . Its was on 93 octane and plugs looked great, pretty sure it was ignition acting up, shift light was at 6000 and never came on, and has a 7000 ship in it. Might get rid on 2 step and see if that helps. I never have felt this new mallory memory tach has acted right. My box is like 12 yrs old and set outside for alot of time, so it very well could be on the fritz. What box do i need if i have to buy one. Have nitrous for future so i might upgrade. ED

Ed501

Back to top Go down

How do you tell if your 6AL is going out? Empty Look at the coil

Post  Wheelie58 August 31st 2010, 5:02 am

I am not sure which coil that you run, but the ProPower (pink) MSD coils do not last forever.
I had one that acted like that when it was on it's way out.
MSD Ingition boxes..6AL...7AL2...and so on will typically either run...or not run.
They normally will not die in the mode that you describe.
I vote for coil....

MSD has an excellent tech forum on their web site. You can type messages for their techs...and they respond quickly.
Thanks,
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

How do you tell if your 6AL is going out? Empty Its the black msd and the smaller output version.

Post  Ed501 August 31st 2010, 5:07 am

Thanks , i havent thought of that yet. And it seems worse when hotter so makes since, I will try a buddies super coil, Thanks..,. ED

Ed501

Back to top Go down

How do you tell if your 6AL is going out? Empty Re: How do you tell if your 6AL is going out?

Post  Bigshank August 31st 2010, 7:29 am

Also check make sure you have it wired straight to12 volts, i had couple thing on mine and caused it to mess up also.MSD told me it works or it doesnt. no in between . mark
Bigshank
Bigshank

Back to top Go down

How do you tell if your 6AL is going out? Empty Re: How do you tell if your 6AL is going out?

Post  bbf-falcon August 31st 2010, 8:18 am

I know from experiance tha t MSD's (either it works or it doesn't)therory isn't always true. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 31st 2010, 8:36 am

bbf-falcon wrote:I know from experiance tha t MSD's (either it works or it doesn't)therory isn't always true. Smile
X2 on that, when mine was giving me the fits early this summer, it would start and run just fine, but it wouldn't go past 4500 without making a lot of popping through the headers. Changed the box and all was well. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 31st 2010, 9:50 am

EVERY MSD coil that I have had go bad has been at the lower RPMs and will work fine once you can get going. It was always like I was hitting a wall at 4500-5000rpm.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing August 31st 2010, 11:03 am

try the coil and check all of your grounds,I had a bad ground on mine that drove me crazy!
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum