BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 ?'s stall and trans brake

2 posters

Go down

C6 ?'s stall and trans brake  Empty C6 ?'s stall and trans brake

Post  paperman September 19th 2010, 5:47 pm

Bought a trans from a forum memebr. It has a TCI 441300 converter and TCI VB with brake. My father owns a trans shop with great rep and has been building for over 30 years. Back in the day he ran some pretty healthy mud toys. He is sticking to his guns that any kind of high stall converter is a bad idea and will kill my trans is short order. My take is and from what I see running (including my past toys) that if temps are in check you should be good to go. This truck is a 2002 reg cab short box Superduty, 545 c6 205 on 1 ton axles 4.88. Looking to run 40-46" rubber. Dont know the weight yet. We are pulling the trans down to look it over and see how healthy it is.

My questions are: would you run that converter and does it seem to be in the ballpark for stall?

Are all TCI brake VB in need of the check ball slot mod or has TCI fixed their patterns to take care of the issue and if so can you check a build number to see what run you have?

paperman

Back to top Go down

C6 ?'s stall and trans brake  Empty Re: C6 ?'s stall and trans brake

Post  IDT-572 September 20th 2010, 12:49 pm

Temp is the main deal here.............. I have ran big converers on the street and have never had an issue. But I also always ran a big cooler too.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  paperman September 20th 2010, 1:03 pm

I know heat kills but in an off-road truck air flow can be a challenge. On the street you can get a good flow of air after you work the converter on a launch. Off-road like in sand or mud you work it hard then roll slow.

paperman

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 20th 2010, 2:00 pm

True.......... And on the street around town a converter never realy locks up just slipping all the time.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down