BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locking the Timing out

+8
lghting94
schmitty
BOSS 429
DFI429
Mark Miller
bbf-falcon
whatbumper
1Bad91
12 posters

Go down

Locking the Timing out Empty Locking the Timing out

Post  1Bad91 November 10th 2010, 4:14 pm

Well this past weekend I went racing and talked to several guys about timing. 99.9 percent told me to lock my timing out. I told them I drive the car on the street sometimes but they said it wont hurt anything. What do you guys think about this? SHould I lock it out or keep springs on it?
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Locking the Timing out Empty Re: Locking the Timing out

Post  whatbumper November 10th 2010, 5:10 pm

With your combo I would not lock it out but I don't think it would hurt your drivability much. For drag racing, the timing is maxed out by the time you launch anyway so I don't know why it would help/hurt.

If you do lock it out, you might want to think about using a start retard.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 10th 2010, 5:45 pm

If it was my car I would keep the light springs.JMO
I've had it both ways,and it's a whole lot more convenient,and I can't see any difference. Locking it is hard on starters. It's in at about 2500 anyway. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller November 11th 2010, 1:17 am

I have my initial timing at 20 degrees and total between 34-36 degrees seems to work good for me that way.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 November 11th 2010, 4:28 am

Mark Miller wrote:I have my initial timing at 20 degrees and total between 34-36 degrees seems to work good for me that way.

Later Mark.

x2... I had my chassis guy (awesome welder) TIG my Duraspark distributor's 'timing window', then filed it square to get the total advance I wanted. Don't have any pics, but it's the outer slot that the advance mechanism tab travels between, controlling the amount of advance.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 November 11th 2010, 9:04 am

lock it out,and install a start retard,
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 11th 2010, 9:14 am

When I had my engine ont the dyno a coupe of years ago, we made a small pull and Bret Powell asked me if the timing was locked. It wasn't and he said that the timing was bouncing all over the place at the lower rpms, and even above where it was supposedly all in. Question Moral of the story, lock the timing and put in a start retard like Rich said. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 11th 2010, 9:39 am

I have a question guy's. Why does timing bounce on some and NOT on others? Both having light springs and tight bushings. I'm running a MSD CT setup now(not that impressed)but when I ran the light springs in my old MSD dizzy i never had the bouncing you all talk about.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 November 11th 2010, 11:50 am

No expert here but from what I have been told timing bounce can be caused by several things, slack in timing chain, module going bad in distributor, improper alignment/slack in cam gear and distributor gear, and ingition box starting to fail.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 November 11th 2010, 12:11 pm

Only problem I would have with a retard control in the car is I have a digital 6 box that auto retards on the NO2. I'm thinking this would conflict with my Digital 6 box. Am I correct?
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 11th 2010, 12:33 pm

If.
1] timing chain is in good condition.
2] diz gear is intalled in the correct position.
3] diz has proper end play.
4] the diz is in good general condition
5] light silver advance springs are installed
The timing will not jump around. Locking the diz is a short cut to cover up the above or a poor or poorly tuned carb that will not idle well.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 11th 2010, 7:13 pm

1Bad91 wrote:Only problem I would have with a retard control in the car is I have a digital 6 box that auto retards on the NO2. I'm thinking this would conflict with my Digital 6 box. Am I correct?

The digital 6 box has a start retard. no need for anything extra.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller November 12th 2010, 1:22 am

DFI429 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:I have my initial timing at 20 degrees and total between 34-36 degrees seems to work good for me that way.

Later Mark.

x2... I had my chassis guy (awesome welder) TIG my Duraspark distributor's 'timing window', then filed it square to get the total advance I wanted. Don't have any pics, but it's the outer slot that the advance mechanism tab travels between, controlling the amount of advance.

That's how my buddy did my Duraspark works good.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn November 12th 2010, 1:30 am

whatbumper wrote:
1Bad91 wrote:Only problem I would have with a retard control in the car is I have a digital 6 box that auto retards on the NO2. I'm thinking this would conflict with my Digital 6 box. Am I correct?

X2... The start retard is totally seperate from the retard "wire" that is used for pulling timing out in different instances. The start retard automatically drops 20* when you hit the starter.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 November 12th 2010, 7:45 am

whatbumper wrote:

Another x2... The Digital 6 is cool for the seperate start & triggered retards built-in.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 12th 2010, 11:25 am

bbf-falcon wrote:I have a question guy's. Why does timing bounce on some and NOT on others? Both having light springs and tight bushings. I'm running a MSD CT setup now(not that impressed)but when I ran the light springs in my old MSD dizzy i never had the bouncing you all talk about.

You'll see NO bouncing with a Crank Trigger. All the historises in all the parts between the crankshaft and the distributor ignition sensor contributes to the bouncing conundrum.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY November 12th 2010, 11:30 am

running timing un locked with a carb and alcohol I always had an erratic idle that changed with the engine temp especially noticeable after a run , but with injection I have noticed it is dead smooth.

Leaving off a 2 step or above 2200 or so rpm I would not think would change much running the light springs , maybe a little more cylinder heat from locked timing , but after doing a burn out or being able to put heat in the engine with the fuel shut off a little "idling time" would be about as significant as a gnat on an elephants butt lol!
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down