BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots)

+9
IDT-572
MsKYMustang
TRUKPULR
bruno
665 falcon
BigDave65
schmitty
bb429power
frank13
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots) Empty Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots)

Post  frank13 December 15th 2010, 4:58 pm

ok i am cooking my first pot roast, i am doing it in a crock pot which i was told was the easiest way.

What i have going on:

2.75 roast (seered in pan)
5 idaho potatos
3 carots
salt and pepper

i seered the pot roast on the stove
diceed the potatoes and carrots into chnks

carrots and potatoes are on the bottom,
roast in on top
one container of broth comes up to about half way of roast..

she is on a high heat setting (hoping to be done in 4.5-5 hours

is the broth going to come to a simmer?
do i need to "stir"

am i missing anything? I only had in on for 45 so far, so i assume i cam still add stuff......

frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots) Empty Re: Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots)

Post  bb429power December 15th 2010, 5:07 pm

The broth is usually about at the top when my mom does a pot roast, man the meat gets tender when you let it sit for a long time. Good stuff, she usually adds onion to the broth too.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots) Empty Re: Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots)

Post  schmitty December 15th 2010, 5:40 pm

Onions and garlic, and a can of Coca Cola and you'll have some good eating. Very Happy
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 15th 2010, 5:47 pm

really coke? too late to add it? been on for almost an hour, figure 3.5 left
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power December 15th 2010, 5:48 pm

schmitty wrote:Onions and garlic, and a can of Coca Cola and you'll have some good eating. Very Happy
do I have to open the can before I put it in there???? confused Razz
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 15th 2010, 6:51 pm

2 hours in:

Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots) 759a8fa5
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 15th 2010, 8:44 pm

ok, so this turned out awful!
I dont know what i did wrong...mean wasnt tender, i think the cut i got was way way way way too fatty...its wat i get for listening to the butcher and not my instinct
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power December 15th 2010, 8:50 pm

My mom lets it sit for a long time to get it really tender, it will be sitting for like 8-10 hours and SLOWLY getting cooked. Your first time, don't worry about it. I would probably make a crappy one too. Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 15th 2010, 8:53 pm

yeah, the next one will much much much less fat......and will be cooked slow on low instead of 4 hours on high
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 December 15th 2010, 9:39 pm

Next time use one of those bags that goes inside the crock pot. It make the clean up a breeze.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty December 16th 2010, 12:19 am

Yes, open the can before putting it in. Shocked You could have saved the roast by turning down the heat and cooking longer. I know when a roast is done, by the fork test. If you can put a fork in and twist it with no effort in the middle, it's done. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon December 16th 2010, 6:30 am

Pot roast one of my favorites, personaly i by the chuck cut it has more fat than the center cut. But you got to be careful with the chuck cut, if you see a lot of fat running through the middle don't buy it. The fat does give it the flavor but you want it on the end of the roast. As far as cooking the roast in a crock pot. Open package rince off and drop it in, add potatoes and what ever you want to put in, fill the pot to just to the top of roast. I use water only , set on low and let it cook. I do this before i go to work and after 10 hours on low you have a tender piece of meat that is outstanding. Of course this is just my opion
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno December 16th 2010, 8:08 am

665 falcon (Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:30 am) wrote:
Pot roast one of my favorites, personaly i by the chuck cut it has more fat than the center cut. But you got to be careful with the chuck cut, if you see a lot of fat running through the middle don't buy it. The fat does give it the flavor but you want it on the end of the roast. As far as cooking the roast in a crock pot. Open package rince off and drop it in, add potatoes and what ever you want to put in, fill the pot to just to the top of roast. I use water only , set on low and let it cook. I do this before i go to work and after 10 hours on low you have a tender piece of meat that is outstanding. Of course this is just my opion

x2

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR December 16th 2010, 9:38 am

Crock Pot or Slow cooker My wife usually put the stuff in there at 6 a.m. and then they cook all day untill 5 p.m. when we sit down for dinner.

Hence Slow Cooker. had you cooked it a little longer like say 4 more hours it would have been much better I think.

Also potatoes and carrots on bottom then roast a little water and onions Seasoning on top.

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 16th 2010, 12:37 pm

yeah i am going to try again on saturday and see what happens, but this time i am going to put it on low when i leave for work in the morning, which will give her 10 hours
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  MsKYMustang December 16th 2010, 1:17 pm

We cook ours 8 hours on low too.

Here's another recipe if you want to try something a little different. It's really simple and Randy likes it. Instead of the veggies cooking with it I make mashed potatoes and coleslaw.

Pepperocini Roast
Chuck Roast
Rub with 1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
and 1 pkg Au Jus Gravy Mix
Put in Crock pot
Add 1 jar (about 16 oz I think) pepperocini peppers with juice
Add water (if needed) to cover
Cook 8 hours on low
MsKYMustang
MsKYMustang

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 December 16th 2010, 1:34 pm

Old fashion pressure cooker is the best way................. Nobody uses them any more. Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Need cooking tips from the experts (crock pots) Empty Note from Truck_Puller's wife

Post  TRUKPULR December 16th 2010, 1:56 pm

Ok - you guys really had me intrigued when I saw crock pot cooking come up on the Big Block Ford site...
I usually cook it, as my hubby said, all day with onion, broth (about 1 cup), dry onion soup, mushrooms, & carrots - potatoes would be fine too as would cream of mushroom soup, or anything else that sounds good to you...and don't forget a little salt & pepper. I always end up with much more 'juice' when it's done so I will occasionally make gravy just before it's time to eat by removing the meat to a plate & adding a little corn starch & cold water to the broth. Very good with mashed potatoes.....
I have cooked many different cuts of roast on low, so don't think that had a bearing on how it turned out. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the higher cooking temp.
Pork roast with sauerkraut & onion is excellent in there too.
Sounds like it's going to be a long winter for you guys......................... happy cooking!
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 16th 2010, 2:26 pm

TRUKPULR wrote:Ok - you guys really had me intrigued when I saw crock pot cooking come up on the Big Block Ford site...
I usually cook it, as my hubby said, all day with onion, broth (about 1 cup), dry onion soup, mushrooms, & carrots - potatoes would be fine too as would cream of mushroom soup, or anything else that sounds good to you...and don't forget a little salt & pepper. I always end up with much more 'juice' when it's done so I will occasionally make gravy just before it's time to eat by removing the meat to a plate & adding a little corn starch & cold water to the broth. Very good with mashed potatoes.....
I have cooked many different cuts of roast on low, so don't think that had a bearing on how it turned out. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the higher cooking temp.
Pork roast with sauerkraut & onion is excellent in there too.
Sounds like it's going to be a long winter for you guys......................... happy cooking!

the meat was very tough, I guess i more "boiled" it....i think i got down two pieces, it was sooooo hard to chew and what not.....

You are completely RIGHT, i need to cook it lower and longer....If funny i can cook almost anything out there, but this "simple" crock pot thing did not work out well YET
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  hillbillyerv December 16th 2010, 7:35 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Old fashion pressure cooker is the best way................. Nobody uses them any more. Cool

used mine a month er so ago canned some tonsil cookin jalapeno`s mmmmmmm Twisted Evil
hillbillyerv
hillbillyerv
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon December 16th 2010, 10:24 pm

frank13 wrote:yeah i am going to try again on saturday and see what happens, but this time i am going to put it on low when i leave for work in the morning, which will give her 10 hours

If... you do this way, Guarantee a hug from Mom. Or better yet a kiss from wife or girl friend, you make the call. Seasoning add after done cooking, being Italian i never seen spices added to boil water that i would crave for, just my opinion. The fat from the roast will add the flavor, and when those Idaho's Potatoes turn yellow you are done my friend Wink
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 16th 2010, 10:37 pm

add one can of beer....not that light crap either............. Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno December 16th 2010, 10:58 pm

richter69 wrote:add one can of beer....not that light crap either............. Wink

done that before and it will thicken things up .ummm deliciuos ...hey Jon maybe you should mod our new " HeRo CoOkInG " section Laughing

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 16th 2010, 11:09 pm

bruno wrote:
richter69 wrote:add one can of beer....not that light crap either............. Wink

done that before and it will thicken things up .ummm deliciuos ...hey Jon maybe you should mod our new " HeRo CoOkInG " section Laughing

too much hassle, I'll pass................ Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  342g December 16th 2010, 11:52 pm

richter69 wrote:
bruno wrote:

too much hassle, I'll pass................ Very Happy

Then you cold ban folks. Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next