BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off the shelf qft dommy, or one from competition carburation (Bob Oliver)?

+3
Greg_P
billandlori
Proeliator
7 posters

Go down

Off the shelf qft dommy, or one from competition carburation (Bob Oliver)? Empty Off the shelf qft dommy, or one from competition carburation (Bob Oliver)?

Post  Proeliator August 31st 2009, 4:32 pm

In essence, I'm trying to decide which route to go. I've always been pretty handy tuning my own carbs, and the QFT Dominators have some features I like. Although I've never messed with a dommy before, I'm pretty sure I could make it work. However, I'm no carb wizard like Bob Oliver and he comes highly recommended. That, and a massaged dominator from him would cost less than two hundred bones over an off the shelf QFT.

Just thought I'd throw this out here and see what you guys thought. Its going on a 532 in a heavy truck that sees some pretty nasty off road terrain, so I'm thinking the tuning to get the carb optimized will be extensive.

Thanks, all.

Proeliator

Back to top Go down

Off the shelf qft dommy, or one from competition carburation (Bob Oliver)? Empty Re: Off the shelf qft dommy, or one from competition carburation (Bob Oliver)?

Post  billandlori August 31st 2009, 5:16 pm

I would think a custom tuned carb will outperform an off the shelf any time.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Off the shelf qft dommy, or one from competition carburation (Bob Oliver)? Empty Re: Off the shelf qft dommy, or one from competition carburation (Bob Oliver)?

Post  Proeliator August 31st 2009, 5:31 pm

That was exactly my thought. Heck, for that matter, a custom Pro-systems dommy costs nearly a hundred bones less than an off the shelf QFT. Bob comes a little more highly praised than Pro-systems, but I was pretty surprised that their custom tuned dominators were less than an off the shelf quick fuel version.

Proeliator

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 31st 2009, 6:19 pm

+1 on Bob Oliver......

I am running a 3-circuit HP style dommy on my street/strip 545. Man I tuned on the thing, and finally with lots of help from some foeum members it ran OK..... but it still wasn't nearly as driveable as my 9380 850 DP.

Bob Oliver said he could make it just as good as or better than that 850 DP, so I sent the carb to him.

Got it back, bolted it on, and it was right on. Sure, I moved the jets up and down a little.... but then I ended up right back where he had them when he sent me the carb.

The car fires right up, never loads up, idles around all the time in traffic, runs at part throttle just as clean as a whistle.

Needless to say I have no qualms with recommending Bob Oliver's services.

Greg

P.S.

A custom dommy is still just a dommy. That qft piece is really something, and if you're a guru on carbs that qft should have enough built in adjustability to run however you want it.
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 31st 2009, 6:33 pm

Agreed on that last statement.............The QF stuff is nice, and there is a lot of adjustability built into them. One could find an old Dommy and buy all the metering blocks, booster, yada yada and make a good carb, but the money and time spent chasing it is worth something in my book.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  studly August 31st 2009, 7:10 pm

I run quick fuel and i call them and get them to give me the carb for my application i have several right now ,from a single carb 638 bbf to a nos 383 sbf they make great products. one vote for them
studly
studly

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 31st 2009, 7:20 pm

Greg_P wrote:+1 on Bob Oliver......

Sure, I moved the jets up and down a little.... but then I ended up right back where he had them when he sent me the carb.

The car fires right up, never loads up, idles around all the time in traffic, runs at part throttle just as clean as a whistle.

Needless to say I have no qualms with recommending Bob Oliver's services.

Greg

That says quite a bit right there Greg!!

I hope to get one for next season, have to get this business goin!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge August 31st 2009, 7:36 pm

Ive got a Holley 390cfm vac secondary I pulled off my 300-6. Im pretty sure thats all your wimpy motor can handle. Razz
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 31st 2009, 7:40 pm

OOOoooooooo tongue

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Proeliator August 31st 2009, 8:24 pm

IcallhimGeorge wrote:Ive got a Holley 390cfm vac secondary I pulled off my 300-6. Im pretty sure thats all your wimpy motor can handle. Razz

Says the guy all excited because he finally builds a motor that can keep up with my old mill.....only for me to yank it and build up a bigger, badder one Laughing

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the pro-series, and save some change as well. But my gut and a few top dogs in the 385 world stand fully by Bobby, so I think I'll spend the extra money and just go with him.

Proeliator

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge August 31st 2009, 8:34 pm

Im not going to dignify that comment with a reply.

Evil or Very Mad
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Proeliator September 1st 2009, 3:05 am

As one of your idols; I can't really blame you king

Proeliator

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 1st 2009, 6:30 am

The quick fuel stuff is definetly miles ahead of the box stock holly stuff of yesterday and they give you a bunch of the features you had to get from custom carb guys. Not to take nothing away from top shelf carb guys, but QFT stuff is definetly worth the $$$ IMO, but their is nothing wrong with the stuff offered by quality top shelf carb builders either..... It all in what makes you comfortable.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge September 1st 2009, 10:30 am

dfree383 wrote:It all in what makes you comfortable.

What makes Pro comfortable is dancing around in pink leopard print thongs to Richard Simmons workout videos and singing "Im a pony."

Hes just mad I wont join him.

geek
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum