BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D0VE head work

+2
schmitty
torkair
6 posters

Go down

D0VE head work Empty D0VE head work

Post  torkair August 31st 2009, 5:19 pm

Ill be getting a set of dove heads for my 429 and was wondering where i should focus my porting work in order to get the most favorible results. My first impulse is to remove the rough spots in the ports and clean up the bowls, then make sure that the intake matches the head ports. My goal with this is to put my 72 Gran Torino into the mid to low 12s at the strip while still being able to drive home at the end of the night.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

D0VE head work Empty Re: D0VE head work

Post  schmitty August 31st 2009, 9:45 pm

Go here to Scotty's site and pay the one time fee for some real good info on head porting. He goes into some nice detail on how to properly port these heads. The more flow the better as it makes the engine more efficient. http://reincarnation-automotive.com/ Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 31st 2009, 9:55 pm

x2 on Scotty's site tons of great info

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford August 31st 2009, 10:28 pm

Do you have Passenger car heads or Truck Heads?

Truck heads don't have the air injection. They have bumps but they are solid.

If you would like to take some advice from me... by the time you invest in bigger valves, machine the head for larger springs, cut the guides for seals, add new springs, retainers,locks, surface for more compression your gonna be in it about a cool Grand! Yep $1000.00 So do yourself a favor and buy a pair of TFS Streets or even the Elde Heads.

Run the cast Iron if your class racing and it requires you to have them. Otherwise Aluminum is the way to go.

I'm running DOVE Heads and at the time the Aluminum heads were expensive. If I were to do it over today I'd got with the TFS head and be done with it.

Not trying to rain on your parade just some advice. You can PM me if your still looking for advice on the porting aspect and I will do what I can to explain what I did to my heads.
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 31st 2009, 10:41 pm

$1000 in a set of good DOVE's is still 1/3 of what a decent set of Streets or Eddies is gonna be, and they will be more usable on the street with a 429 than the others. If it was a strip only deal then maybe go to the Streets et al. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 1st 2009, 11:02 am

X2 Schmitty,
I have a set of DOVE-C's. Thats what I was looking at spending also. But a GRAND is only a GRAND, compared to $2,500.00 + tax for aluminum.
For a intake go with a WEIAND Stealth or Offenhauser Port-O-Sonis in the 180 degree plenum. Maybe a 850 carb, and run the Snot out of it....
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 1st 2009, 11:07 am

60-80% of flow improvements you'll get will be within about 1 to 1 1/2" from the seat, the valve job and minor combustion chamber work included in this. The remaining 20-40% is where the talent and knowlage comes into play, the remaining is the hard part.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair September 2nd 2009, 6:07 am

Thanks for the info guys, im not going completely bawls out on this baby, thats reserved for my future 545 boss 9 hemi headed project, some day...
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down